All reviews nijo station enjoyed my stay comfortable beds castle curtains yen supermarket subway
Reviewed 25 August 2010

I have travelled quite a bit around Asia and the Pacific, though it's always a pleasure visiting Kyoto in Japan. As always I enjoy comparing different accommodations in the affordable price range. My last visit to Kyoto however made an impression for life.

I had chosen for this accommodation because it was located near beautiful Nijo castle and on walking distance from down town. Unlike European stations the central station of Kyoto is not near the city centre. Roujiya is located in a traditional neighbourhood with real Kyoto locals. If you're interested to learn the Japanese language you might pick up some good examples of the Kansai dialect here.

Besides its great location this guesthouse is the cleanest I have encountered so far. I should place a side comment that the guesthouse just opened a couple months ago (but this doesn't influence the atmosphere negatively). I enjoyed talking to the owners Kaori and Naoya. This couple have travelled many countries themselves and know how put their experience in practice. Besides a social chat they gave me some great ideas for visiting places I hadn't seen before (even after been to Kyoto at least 6 times).

It's great having been here, I wished I could have extended my stay! After this positive experience I'm sure that I'll end up staying here again!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
10  Thank jsteenderen
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I could pretend to be an anonymous traveller writing a 'real' review of the Kyoto guest house, but the reality is that I met Nao (the co-manager with his wife Kaori) back in Brazil in 1999 when I was travelling in South America. We had an amazing time travelling together in his smashed up Ford car for a really short while back then - so I was very happy to hear that he had opened this guest house in Kyoto -when coincidentally I was travelling to Japan.

After more than ten years of seeing him - he is still the same mad man. But I also discover now - that he and Kaori have really travelled all over the world, every continent, every language, and they have a massive amount of experience of what makes a place interesting for tourists. Which is one of the reasons he knew that it would be interesting to open a guesthouse in a much less visited part of Kyoto - which in reality is one of the most interesting places in the city. It's right within a dense suburban area, right next to a really busy market area, right next to the most amazing tool shop in the world, and also, best of all, next door to the largest 100 yen shop in Japan. It's really not your average touristic location, but is a very 'real' place - and Nao and Kaori understand that today tourists want something a bit more special ( by the way, they also have bicycles so you can easily visit all the normal touristy things too ).

I stayed there for just a few days with my friend, and Nao and Kaori showed us some really amazing places - that the guide books simply don't know about.... (I'm not going to list them here) and because of this Kyoto was in the end my favourite place I visited in Japan. I know that for international travellers this is a really good option.

(oh, and the hostel itself is super nice too! Very modern, great dorms etc - but also with very old architectural features)

Thanks Nao and Kaori, hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
7  Thank PeterMarigold
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Great location of the guesthouse, in the heart of Kyoto, not overcrowded with tourist, good spot to feel the ancient heart of Kyoto.
Easy access to train stations.
Nice neigbourhood with coven garden, public bath, shops, mini-bar,...

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank chrismillet44
Reviewed 12 August 2010

At first i thought to stay 3 nights but i decided to add one more night because this is a good guesthouse. It is very clean, confortable rooms. The rooms have an unique traditional japanesse style. I really felt like house. You can cook if you want, internet access in the lobby. The staff is very friendly. If you are looking for a place with parties all day long i think Roujiya it is not that kind of guesthouse because the neibourhood is residencial. It is more a quiet one but you can share with all the guest and owners a great time. It was a great experience and i really recomend Kyoto Guesthouse Roujiya.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
8  Thank Mytyn
Reviewed 26 July 2010

As an budget minded traveler I usually end up in the characterless cheap inns and backpacker hostels.

I wanted to visit and feel traditional Kyoto. I only stayed three nights here, but felt like home. This place is brand new, spotless clean, but at the same time traditional. The owners have done a great job creating this traditional Japanese atmosphere and making it a comfortable base for visiting Kyoto. The guesthouse is located in walking distance to the city centre, and close to Nijo station making it a short walk to get there.

The owners are really friendly and helpful and will assist you in making travel plans if needed. Also, there is free Wi-Fi and you can rent bikes which is the best way to get around in Kyoto if you ask me.‎

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo