“Wonderful hotel”

Dormy Inn Premium Kyoto Ekimae
Ranked #15 of 376 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Compact but Lovely rooms. Hot spring baths were just the ticket to combat jet lag, really nice set up in communal baths. Breakfast was extra for us, pricey but really good quality & great choice. 5 min walk from train station is great location. Great modern, spotless hotel - excellent choice for Kyoto.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SachmoIreland

Reviewed 29 December 2011

We decided on Kyoto as our first ever annual family winter vacation spot. As we didn't have any definite plans, we randomly chose Dormy Inn as our choice of hotels when we arrived in Kyoto. Getting a reservation at 4pm, proved to be a breeze with the receptionist, giving us (2 adults, 1 child) a decent sized room w/breakfast plan at a very reasonable price. Initially we booked for 2 nights but ended up extending our stay to 4 nights.

The hot spring baths were just what a weary traveller needs to relax and the massage service was incredible. With a location within close proximity to Kyoto station and easy access to the various sites, this hotel was perfect. Shopping was convenient, the decor modern, the staff incredibly friendly and the breakfast buffet was nothing short of great!

We recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Kyoto and will most definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank lonewolfwfk
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I've stayed @ other fancy onsen hotels from this chain ex. Hakone Setsugetsuka resort before but this is my first for Dormy Inn. It's a new business hotel located within 5 minutes walk from Kyoto station. Price is regular around US$150 per night.
Check-in quick and efficient. Staff's English adequate as she tries to explain onsen and breakfast info.
Room extremly small, just enough room to accomodate the 2 of us plus 1 big suitcase and 2 carry on luggage. Osen apparel provided by this hotel is a bit small for my husband but perfect for me. You can wear Osen apparel to all dining facilities and around the hotel. Rubber sandals also provided by hotel.
Natural Hotspring was the highlight of this establishment. Busy sightseeing schedule left my whole body sore and run down; however after a late afternoon soak we are ok to go for an early dinner close by. Another quick soak before bed and I slept like a baby. Another excellent feature, free laundary right beside the Hotspring, so put your clothes in the machine, go to the hotspring and when you are finish your clothes are clean. Only thing is there is a small fee to use the dryer, 200yen for 40 minutes.
Breakfast is EXCELLENT, deserving 5 stars though it's leaning more towards Japanese breakfast items like famous Kyoto tofu, miso soup, various pickles (also famous), onsen eggs, mushroom rice, smoke duck and salmon.

Room Tip: Smallest rooms are tiny. Pay a little more for bigger room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Odiechau
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I've stayed at the Dormy Inn Kyoto-Eki-Mae for a total of three times. As a resident of Japan, that's pretty high praise.

Two out of three times I've booked ahead, but I've also had good experiences as a walk-in customer.

The hotel isn't anywhere close to downtown, though it's within walking distance for people who like walking. However, its proximity to the Main Train Station, which is the main hub of transport, more than makes up for that.

The Kyoto Branch of Dormy Inn feels fairly recently developed, and the rooms are accordingly appointed. I've found them all quite comfortable, with TV and high-speed LAN internet, a nicely proportioned bathroom/front hall, plus the bathhouse on the top floor. The last time I stayed, I wanted to amend my booking with barely two days' notice, and it was no problem.

I've found the Kyoto Dormy Inn to be exceptionally flexible, helpful in exploring the city, and offering all sorts of extras.

I highly recommend the hotel for the budget-conscious traveler who nevertheless wants a little bit of luxury.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank sarka27
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I've stayed at other Dormy hotels,and I found this one to be exactly what I expected except that it had a little nicer appointments in the room and it had some nice extras such as a massage room.

I found the room to be exactly what I knew it would be, fairly small, but this one has much nicer furniture and color scheme. The bathroom was small and plain, but who planned to use the bathroom when you had a full-scale onsen with a lovely outside bath (rotenburo) on the top floor? That bath was very beautiful and very atmospheric and you couldn't help but feel you were in one of those country inns rather than in the center of a big city. I loved the little decal posted on the door of the locker at the onsen. It featured a hunky samurai type showing a tatooed arm with the legend "NO!" in big letters. That's to remind you that tattoos are not accepted in Japanese onsen!

The room was very quiet and cozy, which was nice considering it was almost directly across the street from one of the busiest and biggest train stations in all Japan! They even had a restaurant and a convenient store connected to the property, although I didn't use either. I did, however, use the massage facilities and received a very nice, thorough and efficient massage, which after a long day of exploring Kyoto was well needed...or would that be ... kneaded?

One nice little touch at this hotel was the umbrellas they had in the lobby which were really great because it was the tail end of a typhoon and it was really raining. I liked the fact that they all said "We Like the Dormy Inn" which was a great advertisement for the hotel.

I would recommend Dormy Inns to anyone who likes to save a little money without sacrificing nice features like an onsen. I've been to several, and they're all pretty much the same, with a fantastic location, a cheap price and that super bath on the roof.

Room Tip: Don't miss the Dormy Inn Kyoto
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo