“Excellent service, restaurant and location.”
Review of Yuzuya Ryokan

Yuzuya Ryokan
Ranked #91 of 374 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 November 2010

We have spent 4 days of our Japan-honeymoon in Kyoto and stayed at Yuzuya Ryokan. It was simply marvellous and delicious. The service level ( they speak good english ) is very high. So is the restaurant. The rooms are decorated in pure japanese style, very beautiful quality. The hot baths are very relaxing after a day full of visits. If you stay several days, you can ask to have dinner at one of
their partner restaurants. They are
also recommendable and high level
( we tried a japanese and a chinese
in Gion).
This ryokan is surely a little expensive, but without any doubt worth every single penny!

• Stayed: October 2010
There are newer reviews for Yuzuya Ryokan

Reviewed 5 November 2010

I was a solo traveler looking to be close the action wherever I stayed but still experiencing a breadth of Japanese culture. The Yuzuya Ryokan provides some of the best food you will have in your life, above-average Ryokan style lodging, and an amazing location in the Gion (think Geisha) district in Kyoto. The staff speaks english and the entire accomidation is absolutely beautiful. Room 10 has a view of their waterfall and a private cedar bath.

I highly recommend the Yuzuya Ryokan. However, here are some easy questions to ask yourself to make a solid decision on spending the money to stay here.

1. Are you looking for truly 5-star cuisine? If so, this place is a good bet.
- I had dinner by myself the first night and with friends the second. If you don't have anyone to eat with I would discourage doing dinner here as the long process can get a little lonely. Try the Yuzu Sake, it's outragously smooth and goes great with their seafood/meat courses. If you stay multiple nights, they will make sure each dining experience (breakfast and dinner) is unique. Their Kyoto beef was simply the best beef available on the planet (I have had kobe beef, $150 filet minions, and Meers burgers in Oklahoma. Their beef is at least 3 times better than anything else available).

2. Are you only looking for a "traditional" experience? You may be better served only spending about $100 doing a Shukubo (temple stay) in Koyasan. They serve excellent home-cooked food and Koyasan is as traditional as it gets. (www.shukubo.jp/eng/) That said and having done both, I could definately feel the extra special treatment at the Yuzuya Ryokan. They will go way out of their way to ensure you enjoy your stay at the Ryokan and in Gion.

3. Do you just want to be close to the Gion district in Kyoto and don't care about the food and traditional experience? Then there are other places nearby that offer great accomidations for a quarter of the price. Book early, Kyoto sells out about 3 weeks in advance.

I traveled in Japan for two weeks and stayed at the Centrury Southern Tower (Shinjuku, Tokyo), the Kaneyoshi Ryokan (Heart of Osaka), the Hongaku-in Temple (Mt. Koya), the Yuzuya Ryokan (Gion, Kyoto), and the Sunroute Hotel (Shinjuku, Tokyo). The Yuzuya was the most expensive, slightly ahead of the Hongaku-in for friendliness, and by far the best food.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BlueNova4001
Reviewed 13 October 2010

What I liked best about this ryokan is it's fantastic location! It is right in the heart of Gion, next to Yasaka shrine, and the bus stop is just literally at it's door step. I felt the high price of the room is not too worth it, I would definitely come here for the kaiseki dinners instead of staying here.

The room is very large and spacious, bathroom has full amenities, and the futons are very comfy. The stairs leading up to the rooms are very steep, but they help you take your luggage up and down. The stairs leading up to the ryokan are also steep. Just take a note if you have young children/disabled/heavy luggage. No internet in rooms, only at lobby area.

Kaiseki dinner was very good, and the breakfast the next day (Japanese breakfast) was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Stayed with my wife and my parents/friend/brother after my wedding. The staff is very friendly and speak English very well and were extremely helpful in advising us about site seeing and getting around town. More than that, they really made us feel comfortable, relaxed, and at home, rather than feeling like we were in a hotel. The rooms were a bit sparse but very nice. The single-person room had unit baths instead of wood soaking tubs, though.

The only negative was dinner. The food was fabulous, but there was just way too much of it, and the kaseki style took way too long (3 hours for dinner). Breakfast also had great food, and just the right amount.

The location is good, too, next to the Yasaka-jinja shrine and in a nice walking part of town. Yuzuya was definitely the best of the 3 ryokan I have visited. I am staying there again the next time I'm in Kyoto.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank RogerNAWC
Reviewed 18 March 2010

This ryokan is expensive - but absolutely superb.

From the moment I arrived, I felt the absolute tranquility. I left the busy streets and was welcomed into a little oasis. The staff warmly greeted me and assisted me with my bags. I was shown about the hotel, including the gorgeous Japanese garden.

When I was taken to my room a few minutes later, my bags were already in the room. I was offered tea ceremony - and suddenly, I started to really understand the art of the practice. It is hard to describe - I used to think "tea ceremony, big deal" - but this ryokan will show you how it is a true art. The staff are very receptive to foreigners, and will gladly answer questions about Japanese culture. You will not feel embarassed about asking, and thier explanations are clear and enlightening.

The best part was dinner - 8 courses of some of the finest food I have ever eaten (and I have eaten in some top restaurants!). Again, every course was explained - where the food comes from, why it is served on particular plates, how you eat it etc. I was dining alone and I really appreciated the interaction with the staff. On my second night, I dined with a friend, and he also agreed that the food was superb. The meal was completely different, so you don't have to be worried about being served the same thing over and over.

For breakfast, you are offered either Japanese or Western style. I love my Japanese food... but just can't stomach a Japanese breakfast. The Western style offered was very filling and delicious (western breakfast in Japan is usually poor, so I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the croissants and bacon!)

When I finished my dinner, I went back to my room to find the futon laid out, a torch by the bedside (in case I woke in the night - how thoughtful!). The futon was extremely comfortable.

My room had a balcony which looked out onto the streets of Gion. Which leads me to another highlight of this ryokan - you could not get a better location. It is next door to Yasaka shrine. I walked to all of the historical attractions, which was fantastic. I could just roam around and be immersed in the city.

Finally, the ryokan has an onsen bath (separate for male/female, though I understand you can book it for private family bathing). The bath is well appointed, a single hot bath with plenty of towels. It was the perfect way to unwind.

I can't speak highly enough of this hotel - the location, the food, the wonderful staff, the comfortable bed. Sure, it is expensive, but it is worth every single yen.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo