“Good Location”

Kobe Sannomiya Tokyu REI Hotel
Ranked #25 of 119 Hotels / Ryokan in Kobe
Reviewed 11 July 2017

The location for this hotel is great. The airport bus from Itami airport stops just opposite from. It is very convenient. Checking in was a breeze. The staff at the front desk spoke sufficient English.

Rooms are tiny (as expected) and clean. As most have commented already, the air-con is not very cool, even when we set it to the lowest temperature. Walking distance to Sannomiya station with plenty to eat and shop.

DO NOT get the "Small" or "Semi" double room. The bed is not much bigger that a standard super single and it meant to sleep 2. We hardly got any sleep for the 2 nights we stayed. Get the Twin for the normal double. The bed itself has quite comfortable but really not big enough for 2 to sleep comfortably. And my husband and I are not really that big.

Also, the toiletries provided were of good quality. The shampoo, conditioner, body wash were all from Shiseido.

Room Tip: Do not get the 'semi' double room.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

Located near Sannomiya Station therefore very convenient as a base for sightseeing. However the guest room is quite outdated. It was too warm in my room; I desperately needed to open the window for some fresh air, but front desk said the window cannot be opened. Luckily she brought me a fan and I ended up sleeping with the fan turning on all night. Overall I think there are better hotels elsewhere in Kobe.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 15 June 2017

Thank you so much for taking time to comment us.We are so sorry for your inconvenience. Actually,our hotel temperature for all the rooms are same so,you could make the air conditioner cooler.Hope you had nice time in our hotel and hope to see you next time in our hotel.

Reviewed 4 April 2017

The hotel has nice staff and the rooms are clean. But, one thing that killed it. The room's window are sealed. For some reason, they did not clean the air condition vent and there is no air circulation at all. They probably realize this by placing air cleaner in the room. But, carbon dioxide was built up in the room. To make thing worse, they set the lowest setting for air condition to be 68F/20C with heating option only. This made the room extreme hot (way above 20C). We had no choice but to open the door ever hour and doing this through out the night. I am sure they are aware of this as the hall way is powered by air condition and had nice temp.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2016

The poor treatment I have both seen and experienced towards foreign customers at the restaurant is why I finally felt compelled to write a review. It's one of those situations where consistently bad experience in one part of a place are so deplorable that it eventually gives you a bad impression of the entire place... why else can a critical part of the stay experience be that badly managed and that badly neglected? I'll comment only on some of the highlights of my own bad experiences (on repeated stays) first: 1). If you are dining with a Japanese colleague, the service staff will ONLY speak and look at them. Even if you ask them a question, they only glance at you for a second before responding to the Japanese person you are with, even if your Japanese is good and you've been living in the country for years... doesn't matter... they just "assume" you are not worthy to speak to or look at. 2). Same goes for the cash registered. Several times I've been there, even though I paid the bill, they look at the Japanese person I am with when taking the money, returning change, and thanking us for the visit. What??! Yes. To make it worse, on the occasions I dined there alone, they refused to even speak to me... just gestured at the numbers on the cash register! Wow. When I responded in Japanese by asking them to speak (the last time I was ready not to pay unless they actually said something... if they are so poorly trained as to believe that no foreigner can possibly speak Japanese, they should at least try speaking while gesturing... no... not these rude people. They act like they can barely tolerate a foreigner in their restaurant... which is unfortunate, because the chef is obviously good (the food is good, the prices are good, and the location is exceptionally convenient, and that is why, despite my better instincts, I went back repeatedly). 3) at the buffet section, they basically gesture you to get out of the way while you are trying to serve yourself when there is an empty container that needs replacing next to the food or drink you are helping yourself to. No "excuse me" (not in Japanese either). And if they happen to be chatting idly with another staff member in front of the food you want to help yourself to, the make it look like you are bothering them and their precious conversation, putting on a smile (without the "excuse me" of course) that looks mortifyingly fake and phony. What really makes all this stand out to cause me to finally rate this places poorly is how good the Japanese guests on either side of you are treated... and worse, when those Japanese guests obviously notice and make comments about the comparatively poor service you are obviously getting. Not pleasant dining experience by any means!! I suppose the one good thing is that some of the other foreign guests who are there by themselves and not speak any Japanese likely don't really take much notice or feel it is worth the bother to complain. But when you live in a place and know... it is different.

Room Tip: Facing the waterfront best...
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 33kc007
Reviewed 18 August 2016

I stayed at the Tokyu Rei Sannomiya for 4 nights in August 2016.

Not much to review, really - if you've stayed in an older style Japanese business hotel before then your experience here will be virtually identical.

Good service, small rooms, fair internet, pre-fab bathrooms, a lingering smell of tobacco and a cheapish buffet breakfast.

Absolutely nothing remarkably good or bad, but rather a very generic business hotel stay.

The Tokyu Rei has another facility about 10 minutes walk away in Motomachi, opposite the Lexis Japan building, by the way, which is far, far better.

Room Tip: Location is on a main road, so go high level for noise reasons
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business