See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

This was my first visit to St. Petersburg so i really was not sure what to expect..

When I first arrived i thought oh no, what have i booked, but then when you go through the main door you are then greeted to a lovely small courtyard and then onto reception.

I am ashamed to say that my Russian is non existent so it was nice to see that i was greater with a small amount of english..

The rooms are comfortable, warm and clean..

For me the only really disappointing part to my room was the location.. mine faced the main street which has a tram running outside every 15mind from 5am until about 11pm.. the noise is very loud and the room shakes... i really wish something could be done about this...

The cafe was nice and again you are greater pleasantly, i really wish i could speak more Russian in order to make the most of my stay at the hotel..

On the whole not bad and i would stay again but i would definitely ask for a different room...

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2016

Hotel Amsterdam is a good value. It is located around a block from the Petrogradskaya metro station. You can walk or take the metro one stop to the Peter and Paul Fortress. You can take the metro two stops to Nevsky Prospekt and walk to all the major sights from there.

It is a small hotel with no elevator and simple rooms. The bathrooms have heated floors and guests receive robes and slippers. The hotel has a small covered patio, a canal view from the breakfast room, and bikes for guests to borrow. The breakfast was decent and included some cooked-to-order items.

The staff at the reception desk speak English well enough and are very helpful. The rest of the staff speak limited English but use some printed materials to help translate.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Billykuerten
EurasiaHotelsGroup, Public Relations Manager at Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review!
We are very glad you liked our hotel.
We will be happy to welcome you again in Amsterdam!

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Very nice and welcoming hotel.
And this hotel is very small.. with small though cosy room, small bathroom with a shower, but at the same time you feel yourself like being home:)
At the desk are working very charming girls. And they speak English (and it's very important for people who don't speak Russian;)
Breakfast was not rich but it was tasty. And by the way,you can have tea at any time and at no extra cost (in the hotel'cafe on the upper floor).
Well, i think it's a really nice hotel with organised service and at affordable price.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AnC72
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We, my wife and I, booked this hotel for a Saturday and Sunday night. We checked in late Saturday afternoon. I am a foreigner, so must show y passport, so the hotel can be my "official" residence during my stay.

The mattress was lumpy to a new extreme for me, but I found a position and fell asleep, for about an hour, when I woke up with my hands on fire for all the mosquito bites. My wife is Russian, so there was a chance for them to let us know about a plug-in airwick looking thing to combat the mosquitoes, no advice for its use was given. My whole night was spent hiding under covers, not meant for someone six foot tall, avoiding mosquitoes falling asleep, having a foot stick out from under the covers to wake up again with that mosquito bite burn.

There is a breakfast with lodging between 7 and 10am, but you have to schedule when between 7 and 10, not just show up. The seating area was large enough to accommodate the whole residence at once, so this was a bit of a mystery to me, based on your average hotel in the US. The deal is, if you are on vacation, do you set an alarm for a specific time?

Sunday we go out and see the sights, get back to the hotel late, and again schedule our breakfast. As we got out key at the lobby I am presented with my "hotel residence" slip for the authorites. Sorta to late to be much good for that day.

The airwick mosquito thing had been plugged in for the day and the room now had a very bad odor. The window was opened long enough to get most of the odor out and no new mosquitoes in. Slept less well than the first hour the night before when I was mosquito ignorant, due to what I would call mosquito anxiety.

Woke up about 9am, late for the appointed breakfast at 8, but still an hour before the breakfast period is over. For one hour 5 minutes no hot water was forthcoming in the shower. I don't mean the water on the hot side was cold, I mean no water at all ran, with the hot valve full open for an hour. Cold here is cold, like maybe 45/50F, not what I like.

Worried about breakfast I went to the dining area and was told it was to late, well I sorta understand that. But here's the kicker, there was no hot water as the woman who was tending the breakfast area used it all up multi tasking, she did the laundry while she ran the breakfast area. She explained her clever mutli tasking to me!

In summery, the mattress was horrible, here is no interest to inform us of about the horrible mosquito issue, the continental breakfast is by appointment, your permission slip is late, and the staff uses the hot water for laundry when people might be taking a shower.

I did not find a staff person that could/would speak English as other reviewers have noted, and their friendly with the purpose of getting you out of there face so they can go back to watching TV or texting. The staff was not customer service oriented so much as 'doing "their" job' based on some tasking criteria.

My reference to the timeliness for permission in a citizenship paranoia country is Viet Nam, where the lobby guest service person who checked me in hands me the permission slip before the credit card authorization even gets through.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank William E
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We spent 5 wonderful days in St. Petersburg and were impressed by hospitality of the city and especially by Amsterdam hotel where we stayed. The hotel is very small but cozy with friendly staff working in it. The staff speaks very good English and we had no communication barriers at all. Rooms were cleaned every day and the hotel looks very tidy too. Breakfast was not so reach but good though for this type of mini hotels. We really felt like at home.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends