Small-Group Tour: St. Petersburg Unveiled

Reviewed 7 September 2016
Chris T
DORSET UK
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

Our ship didn’t dock on the day it was meant due to bad weather, so I was concerned about our private tour with SPB. But we didn’t need to fear as when we docked a day later, SPB was there waiting. We did our day 2 scheduled with Ludmilla and SPB made sure that we carried out our day 1 schedule the next day with Tatiana.

Both guides are very knowledgeable and it was a pleasure.

I highly recommend this tour and SPB group. If you are ever on a ship don’t book their tour, use SPB.

Reviewed 7 September 2016 via mobile

We booked this direct through British airways. It's showing as viator Small group st Petersburg highlight tour.,
I think it will be dependant what time of year you visit to what your you will get. The write ups on BA website did vary and state you get a must no bus with max of 6 people.
Ours was a great ford mondeo to ourselves with driver and guide Sergey - who was very knowledgable and stove us round and took us to the designated sites for the tour which was 3 hrs in all.

Visited Peter and Paul fortress and church of saviour on spilled blood which is a must place to see.
Whilst driving round gave us history lesson and stopes off for photos of places of interest .
All in all no complaints and well impressed to have personal guide. However, as I said earlier, you can't guarantee what we had. It was a surprise to us.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

My boyfriend and I decided after much thought to get a three day private guide for St. Petersburg since a visa seemed annoying and we had a bunch of people tell us it was a good idea to have a driver and guide. We chose Olga Miheyeva after reading reviews and were very happy with her.

If you are a traditional group of tourists looking to see the palaces, art museums, and churches then she will be excellent! If you, like us, are maybe younger and think off the beaten track stuff is more your thing (cat museum, walk in the cemetery, grocery shopping) you may wish to go another way.

Olga did excellently showing us stuff we didn't know we wanted to see like the first post office, an old pharmacy, some beautiful architecture, etc. She knew all about history and local culture and could fill us in on what it's like to be Russian now. But she didn't seem to want to walk much and so when I kept asking to walk along the water front, or to see the subway she always had an excuse not to put it off to later. A later that never came sadly. We ended up missing the subway all together even though it was one of the things I stated every day I wanted to do and that's the reason she is very good and not excellent in this review.

The being said, she was very flexible on plans changing, and was happy to translate for us when we went to a local board game shop to buy and teach games. She helped us pick out local food at a grocery store, and always knew where a clean bathroom was. She is full of knowledge and speaks perfect English.

I was happy to have a guide and driver, and would recommend Olga Miheyeva to most. She was very good at her job. I'm just more used to having time to just walk around and look at the sites, people watch, and soak in the atmosphere, something Olga didn't seem comfortable doing. So I would recommend her highly to anyone who wants an excellent guide to get you to all the usual places to see, or even to someone who wants a very specific tour that everything can be driven to. I know she had a couple who were into modern architecture that she created a tour for and were very happy.

1  Thank Cybil S
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I have recently returned from my first cruise with the Freestyle NCL which was great!
The cruise ship- Norwegian Star toured The Baltic, visiting amongst other cities - St Petersburg.
This is a destination that I have always wanted to visit and as the cruise ship was docked there for 2 days , I and my 3 fellow travellers opted to take the Grand Slalom Tour with private car, driver and guide.
We booked via e mail and did not have to pay a penny up front.
The immigration delay causing us to be a bit late, was not a problem to our amazing guide - Marina.
She was fantastic! We visited all the major sites in St Petersburg , did not require a visa as all paperwork had been completed prior to our visit, by Insider Tours.
Marina arranged ticket entry to all venues and as we were a small group, she whisked us through everywhere and so we did not have to queue anywhere. Her knowledge was overwhelming and although the two days were " full on" she was appropriately selective in the sights that we saw.
The driver was very attentive and courteous and it was a fabulous and informative two days.
We paid in unmarked US Dollars (200 dollars each per day)
This price was much reduced from the cruise ship tour and excellent value for money.
We were made to feel special and every question was answered by our wonderful Marina!
She is very passionate about her role as tour guide and also about her country.
She took us to local places for lunch at our request and whilst adhering to the pre agreed places of interest, she was attentive and accommodating when one of our party wanted to make a purchase for a small gift for a relative.
Yes it was tiring by the end of each day, but we had a very memorable tour and I would thoroughly recommend Insider Tours to anyone visiting St Petersburg.
Thank you Marina.

1  Thank Ninian60
Reviewed 29 September 2011

My friends and I just got back from St. Petersburg last week. We spent a glorious 5 days there. Actually, it's not enough time. There are so many sights to see, so many wonderful people to meet and GREAT restaurants. I had been told by many friends that having a professional tour guide makes all the difference in the world. How right they were. We hired Olga Miheyeva, a guide I found on line who was so great I had to write and let the world know what a difference being with her was rather than wondering the streets by ourselves. Her command of the English language, her knowledge, and her love for her city and country was amazing. Anyone going to St. Petersburg, do yourselves a favor and hire Olga. I promise you won't be disappointed. Allan Armour, New York City

1  Thank aarmourmpo