“Decent hotel for a good price”

Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden
Ranked #42 of 361 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I'd stayed at the Sokos before, in 2010 or 2011. At that time I had little experience with hotels in Russia. Now I have.

Sokos Olympia Garden is a good hotel. It is spacious, has lot's to offer like a good restaurant and a nice bar area. The rooms are modern and look great. The bathrooms are clean (although I stayed in room 621 which had a sewer odor) and there is a fridge to fill. The city centre is but a metro away and around the corner is a great club for dancing and what not.

The breakfast is fine, even with proper croissants and the usual Russian style breakfast. Don't get too exited if you like scrambled eggs and bacon if you like moist eggs and crispy bacon. Fresh orange juice, nope.

The one gripe I have are the synthetic pillows: they make you sweat. I don't understand why hotels don't invest in good pillows. I mean, I'm mostly there to sleep.

The Sokos Olympia Garden is a good to great choice when in St. Petersburg. Make sure you get a good price and you have a good starting point for your trips into the city.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,043)

Reviewed 19 April 2012

This is a modern and beautifully presented hotel with friendly helpful staff who all speak English. The rooms are comfortable and quiet. They have safes, ironing boards and hairdryers but no tea/coffee making equipment. Breakfast was included and was superb. Champagne was offered at no charge on the Saturday and Sunday - not sure if this is a regular weekend offering or perhaps it was to celebrate Easter. One of our party had a birthday while we were there and to our complete surprise a complimentary bottle of champagne appeared in his room.
The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the nearest metro station and we felt perfectly safe walking around the area.
Although dinner in the restaurant was a little disappointing I would have no hesitation it recommending the Sokos Olympia Garden Hotel as a friendly and efficient base from which to visit St Petersburg.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Anna C, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Dear Robert B,

Thank you very much for your review! I am very glad that you liked our hotel services! As for tea/coffee making equipment you can always get it for extra charge, it is also included starting from superior room. I am sure if you come next time you won't even a little disappointed with the dinner as we now have delicious new menu in our restaurant!

Warmest regards!

Reviewed 7 April 2012

End of February my wife and I spent a week at the Sokos Olympic Garden as part of a group on a cultural tour of St. Petersburg. In general we were very pleased with the hotel. The rooms were clean and the breakfast and dinner buffets were really quite good. The food was of excellent quality with numerous choices that would appeal to any kind of diet. As part of a tour we had daily coach travel to and from wherever we needed to be, so the hotel's location outside the center of city attractions did not present a problem. It would be quite inconvenient otherwise. The only other issue we had was room location. In the winter the hotel has wood burning fireplaces that produce quite a smoke smell if you are located on the inner courtyard. This, combined with the fact that the rooms were overheated and made it necessary to keep the windows open, created a problem for us. The hotel immediately honored our request to move to an outside room, which solved the problem. I think this hotel would be a reasonably good choice for anyone who has either a car or is willing to use taxis. It is not in walking distance to any major attraction. Since we didn't need public transportation, I can't speak to that option.

Room Tip: No courtyard rooms
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DMLLosAngeles
Anna C, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Dear DMLLosAngeles,

Thank you very much for your review!
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our rooms and restaurant.
As for our location: we are 2 stops by metro from the city center, 10 minutes walk from St. Trinity Cathedral, 30 minutes walk from St. Isaac’s Cathedral or Nevsky prospect.
Our concierge is always ready to provide you with a map and show the best route to major attractions.

We look forward to your next visit to Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

I was pleasantly surprised to find such a nice hotel for business purpose! The hotel itself is very unusual to other business hotel I used to stay. Restaurant is very nice (I liked the fireplace), service was friendly, live music in the evening was very relaxing. The weather in St. Petersburg was cold but my room was warm and comfortable. Everything seems to be quite new and well designed. I was glad to find sauna facilities in the hotel and I was also told that I could use Spa Center somewhere in the city, but I didn't have time to go there. Wi-fi was free all over the hotel!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Anna C, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Thank you very much for your review! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed staying in our hotel. Our fireplace will always warm you during cold winter season and rainy summer days. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 4 February 2012

I was in this hotel for 5 nights in January. I think it's a great place for stay: reception is very friendly and helpful, room was very cozy and dinner in the restaurant on my last evening there was just amazing. The bed was great! And even this hotel is 2 stops by metro to the Nevskiy prospect, neighborhood is very quite.I will definitely come back!

Room Tip: I had a nice superior room (with tea kettle, coffee set, bathrobes).
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Anna C, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Dear Mereike l,

Thank you very much for such positive feedback! We will do our best to uphold high service level in our hotel!

We are looking forward to your next visit!