“Great space, great location, great value”

Basilica Hostel & Hotel
Ranked #608 of 1,589 Speciality Lodging in Moscow
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Great little hotel/hostel with tons of character in the heart of Moscow. Don't believe the negative reviews, the Basilica is about two minutes from a full service grocery store, several bars and restaurants and easy walking distance to both Red Square/the Kremlin as well as Kitai-Gorod Metro station. Our room was clean and comfortable and well worth the price considering other options in Moscow.

Room Tip: If you have the extra cash book a hotel room
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank TrivialTraveller

Reviewed 30 August 2011

I'm a frequent traveller to Moscow and always stay in private apartments in the center. However I needed a one-night stay before heading to Volgograd for a few days and there were no apartments available so on the recommendation of a friend I stayed one night at Basilica. I booked a room with a queen size bed. My trip to Moscow from USA was hellish and of course they lost one of my bags during the transit. Upon arrival the staff showed me to a private room with twin beds and explained that was all that was available. I was too tired to argue and happy that the room had a private bathroom and shower. The room was comfortable and very quiet.

The friendly staff went out of their way to assist me with my lost bag. They held one of my bags for me in their luggage room and recieved my lost bag from the airline when it was finally delivered two days later. They even contacted me on my cell phone to confirm the bag had arrived and was being securly stored.

When I returned to Moscow three days later, they retieved all my baggage and helped me make contact with an economical taxi who transported me and my stuff to my apartment.

At my age (57) I was a little hesitant to stay in a youth hostel, but the experience was much better than I imagined. The rooms were very comfortable, everything was spotlessly clean and the staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. 10 minute walk to Kyti-Gorad Metro station gives you total access to the city of Moscow.

If the situation warranted, I would stay at Basilica again without question.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank volgogradbrad
Reviewed 1 August 2011

They say it's walking distance, and yes I could walk, but still it was too far to walk. Only one toilet for many people, no stores around the hotel. Room itself was big enough and nice and clean.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank MikaTokyo
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We've stayed at the Basilica hotel for the duration of our stay. It pretty much met the bill for everything we were looking for in accommodation in Moscow: great location, friendly and helpful staff and comfortable rooms. They had a nice art exhibition of local artists going on. We really liked the gazebo they had in the garden out back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2011

The location of the place is not bad, you can walk to the red square, and clos to the river where you can walk to where you can take a cruise. it is on an inside quiet street just near the BAsilica. Nice and helpful owner and staff, newly remodeled rooms. I stayed in a single room it was beautiful, they took care of very small details that you dont see in other hotels.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo