1,345 results
All reviews amuma spa oyster bar allegro restaurant spa suite shark feeding seafood restaurant blue water garden wing themed dinners low tide breakfast buffet beach front cultural show island hopping ala carte man made beach room number
Reviewed 4 December 2015

This is a topnotch resort with a Filipino theme. We stayed here for two days and enjoyed all the facilities...the swimming pools, restaurants, and the private beach. Our room in the Amuma Spa Suites of the resort was very spacious. I especially loved the bathroom, wifi worked very well and the breakfast buffet was excellent. The only downside for me was the shabby housekeeping. I asked for our room to be cleaned, and I was AGHAST to find out that they just replaced the tissue in the toilet and took out the trash. The bed stayed the same, as well as the dirty teacups I left by the table. This is the reason for my lower rating of the property

Room tip: our room fronted the pool, it was very good
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Annalyn J
Reviewed 1 December 2015 via mobile

Simply love the hotel. Rooms were spacious. Bathroom were huge. Rooms which were pool facing & beach facing were superb. But ammuna spa rooms were not dat great. Hotel was quite huge. 3 swimming pool great amenities. For the babies they had a lovely play room. Hotel staff was super cooperative, warm & helpful. My baby fall from bed they immediately sent the hotel doctor available there & did first aid. Gave a cool ice bag also. Haven't seen such a supportive staff ever in any hotel. For the baby food also dey helped a lot. Dinner dey had cultural show for entertainment which was superb. Breakfast was quite lavish. Would love to visit d hotel again

Date of stay: February 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2015

I was only in Cebu for a couple of days, and had already booked a more basic accommodation as a walk-in customer (see my review on Boyla Diving Resort). Bluewater was just 5 minutes walk from my accommodation, and had I not already paid, I probably would have tried to get a room at Bluewater.

That said, the price of this 4* resort was about 7-8x what I spent at the other accommodation, so I could allocate that money elsewhere.

After a long day (3am rise, 6am flight, 10am to 2:30pm scuba diving), I decided to walk down to Bluewater for some food and rest. The staff greeted me and welcomed me, despite not being an overnight guest. The Allegro Restaurant was a comfortable place to stay in, eat, and drink fresh coconut water. I also had access to wifi so I could catch up on work while eating some Filipino treats being cooked nearby.

The resort feels like a bubble of comfort and luxury, with its own man-made island and light sand beach. The staff were all very friendly, professional, and happy to be of service. The only thing I did not quite like was when they gave me the bill before I asked for it.

The resort also has a Spa and Wellness centre, which is open to walk-in customers. I opted for the Massage with Meal combo. If you are into luxurious massages after a hard day, or if you want to overload your system with luxury, I would definitely recommend massage treatment here. I have been to many spas, but this one sits right at the top of my list of Best Spa Experiences!

Upon arrival and registration, I was offered a refreshing iced green tea and flipflops, and asked to choose my massage oil. Then, I was guided to the changing rooms where I was able to lock my belongings and change to a sarong. The treatment started with a hot foot bath, sitting on a balcony outside overlooking the spa pool. It was night time, and the dimmed lights added to the relaxing atmosphere. While the rest of the treatment progressed, I felt warm on my face, and Jaya immediately stepped out to bring me a cooling compress. I did not want the treatment to end, I had almost fallen into a dreamless sleep just as Jaya finished.

Although the 90-minute treatment was pricey (which is expected) at PHP3500 (+400 for the buffet meal, which is usually PHP750), I did not feel my money was wasted. Every minute of the treatment was bliss, and my therapist, Jaya, was really good at easing out any knots in my body. I chose the Traditional 'Hilot' (pronounced HEE-LÖT), which is a FIlipino form of massage, focused on pushing out muscular tightness. It's a strong form of massage, so if you easily bruise or are quite sensitive I would recommend you try a different type of massage.

THE DINNER BUFFET

The food was great, with an array of choices to suit anyone's tastes. I was not too hungry after the massage, but couldn't resist grabbing some Japanese and Filipino food and desserts. There was also entertainment by the Blue String Band, who were extremely talented and sang songs in Japanese, Korean, English, and Filipino. The singer even said hello to me, seeing that I was sitting alone.

The whole experience as a Day Guest was extremely satisfying. It felt personal, and there was no perceived difference in treatment between the day and regular guests. I was so pleased that I came the next day for breakfast and conducted my work meeting there.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank beachedmermaid
Reviewed 24 November 2015

We stayed here for seven days in November and had a really relaxing time, thanks to staff who are simply superb - friendly, warm-hearted and immensely willing. Overall we'd recommend it, but do read the the points to be aware of at the end of this review.

The hotel complex is well spread-out and is mix of two-story rooms around the Amuma Spar and several blocks of linked, single-story bungalows near the hotel's private beach. All have thatched roofs and look wonderfully tropical.

The rooms we saw were clean and spacious with large bathrooms, but those around the Amuma spar have no windows - just a skylight in the bathroom. Some of these rooms also back on to a fairly busy road, which can be noisy at times.
The bungalows, which are more expensive, have glazed sliding doors providing access to an outside sitting space and the nearby beech.

Further character is provided by a series of well-kept, individual gardens with ponds (some with fish) and a good number of mature tropical trees to provide much-needed shade - even close to the beech. The white-sand beech is around 150 metres long fronting on to a shallow lagoon. Across the lagoon and walkable at low tide is a man-made island offering more space to sun-bathe but very little shade, so it can be very hot. It's main advantage is that it gets a sea breeze and fronts directly on to the sea.

The main beech features a superb circular bar and an excellent fish restaurant (called the Cove). Typical of the region, the Cove has a section full of glass water tanks containing live, edible fish, crab and crayfish; enabling diners to pick the fish/crab they want to eat…. That said, this is not mandatory and there are plenty of other choices on the menu. It's all good, but the portions could be bigger.

Those with larger appetites will not be disappointed by the breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets in the main restaurant. The choice on offer is remarkable, ranging from local Philippine dishes, to Chinese, Korean, American and European - and the quality is excellent.

Two points to be aware of:
1) The hotel runs a "scheme" which allows members (namely wealthy locals and ex-pats) to use its pools, beech and facilities at weekends - and no priority is given to hotel guests when this happens. So if you happen to get up late, there may be nowhere to sit - either by pool or beech.

2) The Maribago is one of a number of hotels and facilities in this area that attract tourists and they are all close to each other. As a result, loud music played outside the hotel, but nearby, can be a nuisance at times. The hotel can do nothing about this except to say it seldom goes on late, but we were kept awake by loud music until 2am on one night.

Given its location, most of the guests attracted to Cebu tend to be from Korea who, in our experience, are warm, friendly and well behaved. Indeed, those we met were all on short breaks. There are some Australians and very few Europeans, so anyone looking for something different from the usual tourist destinations should give it serious consideration - but do your homework first.

Room tip: Choose a beech or garden room if you can afford it as the Spa rooms don't have windows.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Bill B
Reviewed 18 November 2015

Nice resort! The rooms were clean and spacious (in spa wing). It was nice to have everything you needed on the resort, including several restaurants, nightly entertainment, a gift shop, spa facility, several pools and activities for kids. The staff was always helpful, but not pushy. The resort was quiet at night, despite the doors not being very sound proof. We had just come from a hectic business trip and I slept very well the two nights I was there. Bed was very comfortable. Our room had a patio right next to the pool and I enjoyed sitting and reading out of the hot sun. I loved all the open air buildings including the front lobby and most of the restaurants. Very nice place for a getaway! My only complaint would be that the doors were very flimsy and could be easily broken into. There was a room safe for any valuables. At night I set the door and screen door in such a way that it couldn't be pulled open without making a loud noise. The resort had security, and I felt it was safe, but I would have preferred a more stable door.

Room tip: If you want a quieter stay, either stay on the second floor and/or not facing one of the pools.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends