“not ready for a grand opening”

Hotel Elizabeth Cebu
Ranked #18 of 92 Hotels in Cebu City
Reviewed 31 December 2010

pros:
1. good location
2. love the interiors, furniture and murals
3. friendly and accommodating staff
4. tasty buffet breakfast
5. large rooms and bathrooms
cons:
1. shower curtains only
2. big hole in the bathroom ceiling (for the exhaust) not covered at all
3. bathroom exhaust not attached
4. water in bathroom sink won't drain
5. loud banging from construction at the other rooms in the morning
6. water dripping from the a/c ceiling at the lobby restaurant

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jcahyumae

Reviewed 30 December 2010

I stayed in this hotel for 4days since I had a scheduled meeting in Cebu City 2 weeks ago. Brand new hotel, everything was new, airconditioning was freezing cold, the hot water can get really hot, LCD TVs. Location was very convenient (just 100 meters from Ayala Mall). The bed was firm (not those cheap foamy types). Paid just about $50/night for my stay, which is about half of what I pay in Marriott Hotel.

My stay was excellent in every aspect except for the bar right across the hotel, which played loud music at night until 2am. Requested a room at the rear of the hotel and everything was great.

Would recommend this to everyone looking for a 5star accommodation with a reasonably priced rates.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank coconutkilla
Reviewed 17 December 2010

We just had an event there last night. Its actually a party we held for our partners in business. Let me do this in chronological order:
>Booking: It was very smooth - they pencil booked the date and when i told them its final they booked it for us.
>Contract signing: I told the sales agent to come to my office so that we can have the signing of the contract that goes with going over thru it. The first answer to me was "ma'am we cannot do the contract signing without the downpayment" WHAT??? I need the contract to process the payment in the first place. All Hotels, even in Manila give signed contracts even before sending it to us! They told me its there SOP. So i ask a copy of the contract instead and had it processed. I needed to write a letter to accounting that the contract will not be signed unless paid.
>Food Tasting: The place was booked, the payment was processed etc etc. I asked a date for the food tasting. The sales agent again told me that they cannot do the food tasting without the full payment!! Who would pay a full amount when there was still no event yet?? But again, I had the full payment processed so we can have the food tasting. I gave the full payment to them last Friday and the sales agent told me "the food tasting will be next week". When i asked for it again, the sales agent told me that there will be NO FOOD TASTING COZ THE KITCHEN IS BUSY!
> Even a simple as size of the backdrop- they do not know. It tool a while for them to give feedback. They could have just listed it down since most clients need it anyway. Plus they did not give us the ff;
*No tambiyolo (i dont know if the spelling is right, but the one we usually use for raffle)
* They did not give us a complimentary room.
* No room for our things, props and all. and told us we can use the CR for doing our make up.. what???
* The biggest surprise is we have to pay for every cellphone charged, laptop, speakers.. We have to pay 250 for each. We brought a sound system, they charged us with Php5,000.00 electrical charges coz they needed to buy another breaker. WOW! I was very amazed, a hotel that receives multiple functions does not have breakers!!
* We requested a waiter for the VIP tables but again they told us we have to pay for extra manpower.
>The parking was very limited. There was only about less than 20 slots. We booked for 200 guests, where can we have them parked? But again, since the hotel was already booked, we had no choice.
>Here comes the party:
*set-up: It turned out that the size of the stage backdrop they gave us was wrong.
*They did not turn on the air conditioner - only 15 minutes from our official time.
*No party poppers allowed.
*The 2-way buffet became 1 coz the space is very limited.
*The utensils used where of VERY low quality.
*The food sucks!
*The F&B manager was so COLD and needed a seminar on customer service. She does not know how to speak for herself and always sends off a waiter instead.
*The waiter kept on looking at our guest list. I booked for 200, we only had 163 guests. When asked - they told us "THEY ARE STILL COOKING!" are they nuts??? They knew we had 200 guests, why didn't they prepare food for 200 people???
>The party ended and my bosses told me - We will not be coming back and will tell this very horrible story to all our sister companies.
>To Hotel Elizabeth - Try to do a little work - research on how Hotels here in Cebu operate. Try to buy things that are essential. TRY TO VALUE CLIENTS!! try to be a little nice..

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
10  Thank CebuLife
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Small size rooms. Receptionists and the tall guy in the lobby are good.
However, having thieves with a malfunction camera that’s just focusing our room does not give a sign of being a reliable hotel to stay at. To all especially Singaporeans, this is a new hotel which the management sucks and do not know how to handle simple issues. To GM Bernadette Cantos, please do not see the looks of your customer only. We waited 1 night and the last day of our stay there but no reports are out as mentioned and promised by one of your staff Nora. You should just resign that post before the full completion of that hotel rather giving us inconsistent answers and unsatisfactory service in tackling this issue. What a shame to have you of that so called new hotel.

**I stayed 3 nights on this horrible Hotel and 4 nights at Golden Prince Hotel which is the opposite and much comfortable and safe when you take cabs.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank m_yap_16
Reviewed 2 November 2010

We were staying at an older property across the street from The Hotel Elizabeth, so one day I decided to stray over and check it out. The lobby is grand and beautiful, and the bellman is very welcoming. It took me a few minutes to get the attention of the front desk staff, but they finally looked up from their computers and I decided to book a room. To be honest, it was their rates that cinched it. They're offering 50% off their regular rates while they are in "soft opening" mode, so at around Php2,400 net (including breakfast) I couldn't refuse).

The rooms are very nice, although we did have some difficulty with the electronic lock in the beginning (they fixed it right away). Very clean with nice bathroom and amenities. They have big windows with excellent views (it's a high rise and we were on the 5th floor and could see the city and water). My biggest problem is with the bed. Like many other hotels we have stayed at in the Philippines, they push two twin beds together to make a "double bed". This just doesn't work for obvious reasons (picture the Grand Canyon getting bigger).

Food & beverage need a lot of help. The breakfast was mostly Filipino foods with little for the Westerner palate. It was served buffet style, but they failed to warm the chaffing dishes, so most of it was cold.

Checking out was a bit of a delay, as they insist on checking the room (another Filipino hotel ritual that I don't understand). I understand that they want to see if anything was consumed from the mini bar. However, I bring down the slip and tell them what I had taken. Even still, they have to check, and then tell me that other things, that were never there, were also taken. This went back and forth for a while until they finally took my word that those items were never present to begin with. It took about 20 extra minutes for them to squabble over Php100 of snacks. Ridiculous!

Even so, I'd give them the benefit and stay there again, especially at these opening rates, although I'd probably go somewhere else to eat breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple