2,238 results
All reviewswest wingthe executive loungecru steakhousenew wingresorts worldgrand ballroomclose to the airportglass wallbreakfast buffetnewport mallfree shuttlefive star hotelmangointernational airportnaia terminalevery hourlong flight
Reviewed 17 January 2010

On this work-leisure trip, we stayed in Makati for 3 nights at the Shangri La Hotel followed by 2 nights in Cebu at Plantation Bay followed by a night at the Manila Marriott. I am a Marriott Platinum member and like the last reviewer, since the Renaissance Makati is no longer affiliated with Marriott, we chose to stay at this new property.

Overall similar experience to the last reviewer. Loved the contemporary design of the rooms and hotel in general. Breath of fresh air compared to the usual ho-hum Marriotts. Buffet was on the expensive side, but the selection was among the best in Manila (I like the made-to-order pizza station) and the service was excellent. Didn't have any problems with power outlets, but did go to the spa/pool and the men's locker was still under construction/re-construction.

Cost-wise, I stayed using my Marriott points. What I found shocking was that the best Marriott I've ever been to was only a Category 3 (out of 5)! I've stayed at many serviceable but uninspiring and low amenity Marriotts that were the same Category!

Would have preferred the location in Greenbelt (that the former Renaissance New World had) or even the Fort would have been nice, but at least it's *relatively* close to Fort Bonifacio Global City. Had no problems with taxis.

Saw the hotel transportation to the airport was some USD$17, which is an utter rip off (metered taxi should cost less than USD$4), but what's not on the website is that the ResortWorld complex (which includes the Marriott) has a shuttle van that picks up guests every hour on the hour to take to the airport (for us, Terminal 1). We know that not many people know of this, because numerous staff told us that my partner and I were the first from the hotel to ride!

Overall, we had a wonderful experience there. Location is really big for me, and if price was the same, I'd stay at the Shangri La Makati. But if location is not first for you, or if you want to stay by the airport or a casino-mall complex, then definitely consider the Marriott Manila!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank omnivorousone
Reviewed 8 January 2010

We stayed at Manila Marriott for 7 nights split between 2 stays from December 20-29. I am a Marriott Gold member and since the Renaissance Makati is no longer affiliated with Marriott, we chose to stay at this new property.

Checkin was a breeze with an escort to the club level checkin desk and then with an escort to our room. The rooms are quite nice with the bathroom being extroadinary.

The entire staff on all levels were very helpful and friendly. Even on Christmas day, they all appeared happy to be working.

The entire hotel is not yet completely open. Many rooms on the club level 8th floor are not yet open, the signature steak restaurant is not yet open (sorry, but don't remember the name), some electrical outlets in the room did not work (I advised of this problem on our checkout), the cost of the buffets in the cafe seem quite expensive, especially for Manila. Taxis are somewhat quite difficult to get, but the bell staff is persistant in making calls and going out onto the street to secure them. Taxi fare to Manila is 100PHP, although many white taxis will not turn on the meters and try to get you to pay 300PHP.

I am sure these problems will be rectified in time and are just normal startup/growing pains.

We had a wonderful time there and we are certain to return on our next visit to Manila.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HBF042806
Reviewed 28 December 2009

This hotel has a great location if you are flying Cebu Pacific or PALExpress: it is directl;y opposite NAIA's Terminal 3 which opened in July 2008. The Manila Marriott opened on 12 October 2009.

My plan to walk across was thwarted becauser the airport authority has closed the pedestrian access to Andrews Avenue. While I could have followed the traffic, this would have been a walk of about 1.3 - 1.6 kilometres so I took a yellow and red airport taxi for P78 (flagfall is P70). Unlike in Australia, the drivers do not complain if it is only a short trip.

The hotel is next to Megaworld's Newport Residences that have four condominium towers, only one of which is finished.

Check-in took about five minutes, but my room was not ready until 1520 because occupancy had been very high the previous night due to Christmas and more Filipinos becoming aware of this hotel. A wedding banquet was about to start in the hotel's Grand Ballroom.

I obtained a promotional US$150 rate including tax but excluding breakfast: not cheap for Manila.

My fourth floor room had a view of the front approach to the hotel. It was a generous size, bigger than a standard hotel room.

The bathroom was the centrepiece, with a glass wall (featurng an electrically operated Holland blind) allowing television viewing from the comfort of the bath: the TV sound penetrated into the bathroom while I watched a movie. The hot water was instant.

The shower is stepless and in front of the bath. Its drain is to the side of the room, and its design allows one to watch planes landing in the distance if one does not suffer from myopia.

The vanity area is separate. All furniture is of a good standard and there is a good amount of wardrobe space.

The amenties provided could be improved. There were no cotton buds, for instance, although the soap was of a high quality.

The bedroom had a yellow lounge chair and ottoman, a Samsung plasma television, a glass writing desk and trendy chair while the foyer had a horizontal 'EL-safe' for valuables rather than the older vertical design that is far more common.

The king bed was among the most comfortable on which I have ever slept. The bed linen was in A1 condition.

There were no noise problems from aircraft in the slightest. Once or twice I heard another room door slam but this did not happen often, and was not a problem at night.

The pool on level two is adequate, though not huge. It is only 1.2 metres (four feet) deep at its extreme. There are at least 20 poolside lounges with the outlook being to the pleasant Villamor golf course.

Breakfast at the ground floor cafe cost me an extra P950 but was excellent, although the shakes were not quite as nice as at the Mandarin Oriental. However the Philippine-manufactured yoghurt in small 100g tubs was fantastic, and available in four flavours.

Staff were uniformly pleasant.

The hotel is internaly linked to the Newport City Casino (also new) that has Mercado Buffet, Noodle Works cafe, Bar 360 and a theatre (as well as live performers on Bar 360's stage). A shoppng mall between the Manila Marriott and the casino only has one shop (Sunglass Hut) open but more will soon follow. The hotel is also linked to Maxims (all-suite) Hotel which will open in a couple of months, while the third hotel, the budget-minded Remington, is at least a year from its opening.

The Marriott is a most welcome addition to Manila. Finally this city has a world-standard airport hotel, but the owners should include it as an offering of the hotel booking site www.asiatravel.com to make it more widely known.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Victorianlad
Reviewed 12 December 2009

My wife and I chose the Marriott Manila Hotel because of the wonderful experiences with the Marriott brand in the US. This was also a very convenient location for an early morning international flight. Marriott Manila's grand entrance and elegant lobby created a great ambiance that surely made us feel at home. Food was great! The heavenly bed and pillows were very comfortable. I do hope Marriott Manila's internet access will be more affordable. Continue to work hard so you can become number one in Manila.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Reggiedoc
Reviewed 29 November 2009

Someday, this hotel will be a well oiled Marriott machine. However, it has ways to go. Meanwhile, it should not be charging rates comparable to better located, amenity-rich and well ran hotels in Makati -- the business district.

As of late November , only the bar, coffee counter and buffet restaurant are open.

Buffet items are not labeled -- leaving one to guess what they are eating half the time! In addition, the server left me the tab to sign while I was still working on my appetizer. Of course, I was told that she was in no rush (!). Wait staff seem to be running and rushing in circles -- an obvious lack of training.

Workout room ( with state of the art Life Fitness equipment) is open but not the spa. Food and beverage service is not yet available poolside .

Proximity to the domestic and international airport terminals is the the sole advantage of staying in this hotel. Since one has to contend with horrendous Manila traffic, this hotel seems like 50 miles from business and entertainment district of Makati.

Rooms are well appointed and well equipped. High speed internet is available at extra charge. The bathroom only comes with 3 towels -- very stingy for a Marriott category 4 hotel! Lastly, is very obvious that the windows of this hotel are in desperate need cleaning (see uploaded picture).

If one has to have a room very close to the airport and willing to pay top Makati hotel rates, I recommend this hotel. Otherwise, you can never go wrong by opting for either the Peninsula or the Shangri-la in Makati

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business