“Comfortable Digs at the Peninsula”

The Peninsula Manila
Ranked #5 of 86 Hotels in Makati
Reviewed 4 August 2009

We stayed at the Peninsula Manila for two nights at the tail-end of our trip. Got a great deal on expedia.com at $150/night, but would've definitely shelled out more. Our superior room was in the Ayala tower and overlooked Makati Blvd. I was a tad concerned that the street noise would bother me but it was never an issue. We dined at Mi Place, the authentic Italian restaurant right off the lobby and enjoyed a phenomenal meal there. Service all-around was customarily impeccable, from the concierge and check-in staff to housekeeping. We slept comfortably on the king-size bed and high-thread count sheets. I was very excited to discover that the bathroom had both a shower and a bathtub, which I soaked in a few minutes after checking in.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ouiparis
Write a ReviewReviews (2,224)

Reviewed 26 July 2009

I love the grand entrance. There is usually a live orchestra playing in the lobby. We have stayed there so much the housekeeping staff on our floor always call me by name.

I left a box of expensive jewelry there for a week one time, when I finally called, housekeeping had turned it in and it was put in the hotels safe. Hotels are not required to call you regarding things you have left behind for privacy reasons. The fact though that they were still there was amazing.

I love the down pillows and comforters, large flat screen TVS, the extra commode in the living room of the suites is handy too. Keeps people from walking through my mess!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2009

My stay at the Peninsula Manila came at the tail end of a two-week visit in the Philippines, and since I had been staying in some pretty interesting accomodations (ranging from economy to moderate, often with primitive bathrooms and a variety of insects/wildlife), I wanted to splurge a bit on my last night there. A great rate on a deluxe double ($166 on Expedia), positive traveler reviews and the fact that I hadn't ever stayed at a Peninsula before were enough to convince me to give it a try even though a lot of people were trying to get me to stay at the Shangri-La.

First of all, the service was outstanding in every respect - the doormen, bellmen/porters, concierge and reception desk were professional and friendly: it was clear that they would do anything it took to make my stay pleasant. Second, the lobby is a sight to behold. It apparently had been redone after a military tank(!) crashed through it during a failed coup in 2007. Third (and relevant to #2), security is tight but discreet - even though some may find it a "nuisance" to have to go through a metal detector and bag search, I appreciate it; it's also understandable given some of the high-profile guests (Kobe Bryant was there the same night as I) who often stay at the Peninsula Manila.

Among the other things I thought were exceptional or well-executed:
- Location: It's in the heart of metro Manila (Makati business district), with easy and very safe access to great restaurants and unlimited shopping, including high-end boutiques. It's a quirky mix of Fifth Avenue and big box, Walmart-type shopping but it works well.
- The room: we had a deluxe (one notch above superior) twin overlooking the quieter upscale village rather than the city. It had all the lovely appointments and ammenities one would expect from a 5-star hotel The bathroom was gorgeous and spacious - it was marble-tiled throughout with lovely woodwork, separate tower/soaking tub and included a stereo system.
- High-speed internet access is FREE. This is not true of every hotel in Manila.
- Restaurant: There are five offered, plus room service. We opted to eat in the lobby restaurant so we could people watch and select from a large menu that offered both Western and native Filipino dishes. I was able to order an item from a separate restaurant with no problem at all. And since the exchange rate and traveling in the Philippines in general tend to favor foreign visitors, we enjoyed several wines and premium cocktails at $4 apiece. The food was delicious too.
- Pool and spa: I took a night-time dip in the pool, then spent the next hour in the lovely sauna, steam room and whirlpool. If I had more time, I might've ordered a cocktail too. It was a great way to get ready for a good night's sleep.

The only thing I found odd about the experience was when I checked in and was asked to provide a voucher (confirmation email) from Expedia to settle the bill. I hadn't had a chance to print it out and the option they offered was for me to go to the Business Office to use their guest computers and print out the voucher. The catch was that it would cost $2 per page, which I thought was a bit unseemly (nickel & dime). Redemption came quickly in the form of the assistant manager, who gave me his business card with email address, saying that all I needed to do was forward the Expedia email to him and he'd take care of the rest. I chalk this very minor hiccup to either an isolated training or a process glitch, and not a reflection of the overall standards of the hotel.

All-in-all I thought the Peninsula Manila did an outstanding job and I plan to stay there on any future return trips.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank berlinbrigade
Reviewed 30 June 2009

The lobby is amazing and very classy. The rooms are very luxurious and the beds are very comfortable. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank danaroundtheworld
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Submitting this rather late, but I suspect a place like the Peninsula does not change much in a year. We stayed here in March/April 2008, shortly after the hotel had reopened following that unfortunate bit about the coup in the lobby. Hoping to bring customers back, they were offering reduced rates – we paid $200 US per night for a very large room with sofa and chairs. Not exactly a suite, but the size of one. We stayed here at the beginning and end of a Philippines trip where most of the time was on other islands, and it was the perfect way to bracket a trip spent mostly in less plush accommodations. Security at the hotel entrance was very tight, as it is most places in Manila, but once inside any security presence was invisible. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous. The lobby is stunning, the spa is wonderful and very inexpensive, and the pool area at night is one of the most beautiful hotel settings I have seen. The rooms are very comfortable, though perhaps less luxurious than you might expect from a Peninsula. The twin bed format seems tight if you are used to western style hotels, but the beds have top quality linens and are quite comfortable. Our tower room had an expansive view of the smoggy city, and came with plenty of water and a bowl of fresh fruit. We ate at the Spices restaurant, which was excellent, as were both breakfast and afternoon tea in the lobby. The staff, as you might expect, are extremely solicitous. It was odd then that it took several phone calls to the lobby, and two staff visits to our room, to obtain functional internet service. A small complaint though, and overall a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends