2,509 results
All reviews salon de ning spices restaurant fax machine halo halo grand lobby lobby restaurant breakfast buffet star hotel turn down service beautiful hotel club floor pool area is business trip ayala triangle superior room fitness center business district
Reviewed 6 September 2008

Having stayed at this hotel several times over the last couple of years, it is worth giving it some kudos. It is always excellent - great service, clean rooms, nice restaurants and lovely staff. A very safe choice if staying in Manila.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Suomessa
Reviewed 6 September 2008

Having planned a trip to Manila/Makati I did debate for some time which of the two hotels, the Shangri La or the Peninsula I should stay at. In the end the Peninsula had some excellent deals on rates for Suites that won me over. I also took the opportunity to stay on the Club Floor.

I am told that locals consider the 'Pen' the more prestigious of the two, and non-locals the Shangri-La. Personally I found little to complain about at the Pen. In particular the staff were truly excellent (and my comparison would be against staff in top properites in Singapore). Everyone was very friendly, and on the Club Floor nothing seemed to be too much bother.

I had read some postings about the other tower being renovated, but truthfully it was not apparent. The new rooms (and a suite on the Club floor may not be quite representative!) was large, clean and well equipped. I saw no indication of building work or noise.

Obviously no property is perfect. The water from time to time in the bathroom would be less than hot, some of the taxi drivers who wait outside the hotel vocally push their services to provide transportation to places of superior 'male entertainment', the bar is rather small and smokey, and the restuarants in the hotel are not open late. Having said that 'Spices' is a very pleasant place to eat.

I did go across to the Shangri-La one evening where the Conways bar did seem to have more than a smattering of rather elegant if mature G(uest) R(elation) O(fficer)s in place. I did hear that from time to time that the hotel does chase them out, or refuse entry to unescorted females. The Pen, from what I could see seemed to be squeaky clean in this respect.

One small issue might be with the mathematics of the doorman. In asking whether a hotel or regular taxi was required the fare difference was described as 50% more; 500% might have been rather truer, but then taxis in Manila are very, very cheap.

I have seen some comments on here about dress code. I was on vacation and was (hopefully) casually smart (jeans, t-shirt) and had no issues.

Manila is a challenging place to visit, from the traffic onwards, and you really have to work hard to get the best out of a stay. In the end it is a city of contrasts, very rich and very poor, but it is rewarding.

Ultimately the Pen is a very good and well run hotel. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
5  Thank PhileasFoggontour
Reviewed 3 September 2008

We were, oveall, very pleased during our stay at the Peninsula. However, I am an old biker and prefer to wear sleeveless shirts when it's hot. They refused to allow me in to eat breakfast the first morning because my shirt had no sleeves. I would probably stay there again but it takes more than a dress code to impress me.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank harleymanict
Reviewed 1 September 2008

Even though we just live 5-10 minutes away from the hotel. Wife and I decided to stay over the weekend at the Pen being member of the Pen Club. Our room was upgraded to deluxe room at the Makati Tower. Flat screen tv, complimentary internet, fruit basket but sadly no complimentary bottled water. Breakfast was inclusive and was also good.

Hotel is near shopping center and right in the heart of the Makati's financial district. Walking distance to PSE, Glorietta and Greenbelt Mall and other offices. But would advice taking a cab going back to the hotel when its dark already as the main entrace of the hotel is at the back and not on the main street of Makati Ave. and Ayala Ave.

Overall experience was good, staff was polite,helpful and courteous. Will definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone who wishes to stay in a 5 star hotel in Makati.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank doydy
Reviewed 19 August 2008

A very pleasant stay. Excellent staff, good bar, delicious food and superb rooms. Location could be better although close to a good shopping mall. We lost our Lonely Planet Guide in a taxi - one call to the hotel and the next day they had our book - very impressed!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business