2,509 results
All reviews salon de ning spices restaurant fax machine halo halo grand lobby lobby restaurant breakfast buffet star hotel turn down service beautiful hotel club floor pool area is business trip ayala triangle superior room fitness center business district
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I was visiting my boyfriend here in the Philippines (August 2010) and usually we stay at his condo that he shares with his brothers. For 2 of the nights, his brothers were still in town, so we decided to stay a night at The Peninsula until they left. Every time I visited the Makati, I would see this grand hotel on Ayala Avenue and had heard great things.

Immediately when you walk into the hotel you see an amazing and grand lobby. The hotel looks old on the outside because of all the dirt and grime from pollution, but the inside is well kept. The rooms are large with big comfortable beds. We got the king size room with the 42inch plasma TV. They have a lot of movie channels too.

The breakfast buffet comes with the room (not sure if they have an option without it) and it was pretty decent. You eat in the main lobby. It's not the best out there, but it's still very good.

The pool was pretty mediocre and needs some updating. There also weren't a lot of beds considering all the guests that could be staying at the hotel. My other complaint is that although it is located in the heart of Makati on Ayala, you do have to cross underground to get to Glorietta and Greenbelt. It isn't as convenient as the Shang or One World.

Overall this place is great. The service is great. The location is walking distance to everything and you can guarantee yourself a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CrabisGOOD
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Checked out after staying a while. Talked with management about how really bad the food is. They assured me they would address the numerous issues. After 2 weeks the scrmbled egs were satill egg soup, the bacon was still grey and in clumps rather than strips, the sushi al rice and seaweed. Everyday, I would instruct teh omelette chef how to cook an omelette, but he only got it right 1 time in 2 weeks. Moved to the closest next 5 star Hotel... Very happy at the Shangra-La. The food there is just plain good. Food at the Peninsula was just plain horrid. Also room cleanliness was iffy.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank K F
Reviewed 21 January 2012

This was my first time staying at the Pen (and Manila for that matter), and I have heard great things about it before, but it was even better to experience it! I will try to put this as objectively as possible:

The good:

- Location: The Pen in Makati is a stone's throw away from Greenbelt shopping mall, where you have all your spectacular high-end restaurants, shops and bars. If you are in Manila for a brief stop-over, that's all you really need.

- Rooms: We had the deluxe room, which had a great urban feel to it overlooking Ayala Ave. The rooms have all your luxuries from fluffy bathrobes to snazzy bathroom, to the most comfortable bed your jet-lagged body will LOVE and appreciate. The room was not massive, but comfortable and more than enough for our needs.

- Facilities: Great pool outdoors, nice bar in the lobby, great restaurant, massage service etc etc. You don't even need to leave the hotel at all really..!

- The lobby: Just wow! We came to the Pen just after Xmas day, and they had this humongous Christmas tree with bells and whistles in the middle of it. The lobby is extremely spacious and grand, making you feel like a million bucks when you go in.

- Service: The staff at the Pen is exceptionally courteous, well-trained and knowledgeable. We were recommended a truly spectacular Thai restaurant called the People's Palace in Greenbelt, where we had an amazing meal. I can recommend it!

- Breakfast: Breakfast at the Pen is a true feast. From continental-, Chinese-, Japanese-, Philippine- to all types of different breakfast options are displayed artistically at the restaurant. You can even get Ice-Cream for breakfast (don't ask - baffles me too..) if that takes your fancy. There is also a fruit bar where you can select your desired freshly squeezed juices and smoothies. Overall a winner!

- Free WIFI in the room: By no means something to take for granted.. Many 5* hotels skim on the free WIFI, which I find scandalous for the often extortionate prices they charge. Luckily, the Pen in Makati is not one of them.

- The price: I paid about EUR 130 for the room for the two of us including breakfast, which for what you get is a fair price. I was happy with that.

The "bad":

- Airport pick-up: extortionate pricing! Normally you would not pay more than 350 pesos to get to the Pen from the airport. Being amateurs, we went for the snazzy airport pick-up at the peninsula lounge at the airport, where the normal price they charge is 2000 pesos (!) but refused for the equally expensive "cheap" version which is 800 pesos. Having said that, in comparison to European / US prices this is still cheap, so it really depends on the type of budget you have.

Room Tip: A floor high up, because it faces Ayala so the lower floors facing the street can be quite noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Melindalinda
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I stayed here for a night. Had a busy day and spent most of my time in Manila outside the hotel. However, I wish I had spent more time in the hotel. The lobby is quite impressive with its palm tree and live jazz band. There was quite a lot of activity for a 5 star (most of them are stuffy). Apparently Rachel Weisz was shooting the new Borne movie in the hotel the day I was there.

The coffee shop had good desserts, but very slow service. The breakfast buffet was quite a lavish spread.

Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AliSaigol
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I have always regarded this hotel to be the best in Manila. Stayed here for 1 night on New Year's eve and for another 2 nights the week after to attend a friend's wedding with my wife and 4 month old son.

What was good:

- Although the hotel is almost 40 years old, the rooms are still perfect. Very clean, spacious, flatscreens in all rooms to keep in tune with the times, control panel just beside the bed to allow the guest to control everything (from the aircon, to the lights, tv, etc.) within an arm's length.

- Beds, pillows and sheets were impeccable

- The marble bathroom is the best with separate tub and shower.

- The lobby - need I say more?

- Loved the afternoon tea buffet

- Check in and out was very efficient

What could have been better:

- Food - had dinner at Escolta with my wife. Buffet selections were limited, roast beef was dry and hard to chew. The dinner buffet and buffet selection of that other hotel across the street is way better.

- Breakfast on Jan. 1st - had to queue for at least 20 minutes to be ushered into the ballroom where breakfast was being served. We were seated with other people we didn't know due to the limited space. We didn't mind this since we got to chat with this nice lady who was sharing the table with us - but this might be a big deal for other people.

- Although the baby cot was immediately set-up after I requested it, it wasn't cleaned properly. There were bits of dust left on the side rails. I hope management takes note of this since we always strive to keep our babies clean and healthy.

What they have to work on:

- Valet parking - granted that we stayed there on New Year's eve and on a weekend when at least 5 weddings were happening - it is simply unacceptable for a hotel of this standard to make guests wait for 30 minutes just to retrieve the car from the basement (this happened twice - the first time I waited for half an hour, the next one, close to 20 minutes).

Overall, the stay was good. The rooms and amenities were enough to compensate for the other areas. I think the service is way better when there are less guests and when the hotel is less busy.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LaBatterie
JosephArias, General Manager at The Peninsula Manila, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments regarding your stay. We are very sorry for the lapses that you experienced with the quality of the food in our buffet and the service in both our guestrooms and public areas during your recent visit. Rest assured that I have thoroughly discussed these issues with my staff and immediate steps were taken to prevent them from happening again in the future.

We hope that you will accept our apologies and once again, thank you very much for taking the time to bring these matters to our attention. I hope you wouldn't mind sending your contact details to: pmn@peninsula.com as I would like to communicate with you directly.

We look forward to be of service to you again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,