All reviews highest point eco resort lake titicaca charging station the wood burning stove hot water bottles peaceful oasis private boat two nights relaxing stay high altitude boat trip huge bed peru trip only stayed one night rooms are large canoeing
Reviewed 8 December 2016

The island is in Lake Titicaca, three hours by boat from Puno and is a tropical paradise where you can stay at the hotel spa.
It is a very long hard walk up from where you land, exacerbated by the high altitude. A buggy is used to carry luggage to the hotel, and it is also used for visitors who find the walk up, and down, difficult.

The gardens are beautiful with an abundance of glorious flowers, flowering shrubs and trees. There are also many colourful birds and small animals such as Andean rabbits. If you want to explore you have to be very careful because the sun at this altitude is fierce and a hat and strong sun block are essential. It is wonderfully peaceful.

After about three hours enjoying the paradise, it quickly turned into hell as the sky turned almost black and the thunder and lightning started. The hotel lost electricity but they had emergency lighting which they distributed to the bedrooms and in appropriate places, but it was not pleasant and it was also quite cold. A large wood fire in the sitting area was welcoming, as was the wood fire in the bedroom.

When we arrived a bar-b-q lunch had been prepared, which was very good indeed. There were different meats, which my daughter said were good, lovely vegetables and salads, and some fish. My daughter had a delicious chocolate mousse for dessert, my fruit salad was all apple. We thought that we were going to eat well during our short stay. Dinner however, was another matter. We were given a rather unpleasant chicken and onion dish, with a salad that was mainly large pieces of lettuce and a couple of slices of tomato and cucumber. I declined the dessert and asked for a fruit salad, but after my experience at lunch I had to tell them what to put in it.

This is an expensive hotel and the breakfast would have embarrassed a one star hotel. It was a miserable affair. There was yogurt served in large supermarket pots, four types of cereal, one type of cheese and a couple of varieties of bread. I had to ask for butter. I also asked for poached eggs with grilled tomatoes, which my daughter translated admirably into Spanish. After about twenty minutes I was finally served with solid poached eggs and a plate of sliced uncooked tomatoes. I then asked for a mango, and was given a mango on a plate together with a sharp knife, and a napkin. I do not mind cutting my own mango and I should have been grateful for the sharp knife, and also the napkin, but it is not the sort of service one expects from what is supposed to be a quality hotel. The coffee was dreadful.

The bedroom was somewhat spartan, but the beds were comfortable, and when I went to bed I found a lovely warm hot water bottle in the bed, which was extremely welcome – and necessary. I would have loved to have had a shower, but the heat from the fire did not permeate into the bathroom and it was very cold, too cold for me. There were nice bathrobes and towels. In the morning after the storm had cleared we had a beautiful view of the gardens and over the lake.

The staff lacked the knowledge and sophistication that you get even in much cheaper hotels but to a certain extent made up for their considerable failings by treating us as honoured guests. They were all helpful and friendly, and were wonderful when I needed oxygen to counteract the effect of the high altitude.

In this area the weather can be very unpredictable, and once the sun disappears there is virtually nothing to do. There is no internet connection, and in any event you are likely to find yourself without electricity. I looked at the spa menu and it was very expensive. So if you decide to visit, make sure you have a good book and a torch, although scrabble and cards are available for guests.

You have to pay for water, which was expensive, and which should have been free.

I confess to feeling rotten about writing such a bad review because the owner was so solicitous and concerned about me and how I was affected by the altitude, but unfortunately this hotel has almost nothing to offer other than beautiful gardens and views.

1  Thank JayL17
Reviewed 7 December 2016 via mobile

Stayed two nights at this beautiful, secluded hotel. Although it was very remote and a long 2+ hour journey from Juliaca, our two night stay there turned out to be one of the highlights of our Peru trip. The entire staff was so attentive and genuinely friendly during our entire stay, especially Luis and Mary. Delicious food, romantic setting! The second night we were the only guests there due to the offseason, making it even more enjoyable.

Highly recommended in spite of the distance and cost!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OCguy2016
Reviewed 2 December 2016 via mobile

Absolutely incredible. Great hotel. Great staff. Great food. But it's the views that will take your breath away (of the Lake and vicuñas!). If you're looking for peace, quiet and beauty I can't recommend this place highly enough. Booked through PeruNorth - they're equally impressive.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike V
Reviewed 21 November 2016

Charming hotel on an island paradise. It was a perfect place to stay for a few days. The rooms are comfortable and they each have a stove for a fire. Lots of places to sit outside and enjoy the stunning view of the lake. My husband and friend kayaked around the island in the afternoon and then they took us on a hike to view the sunset. A group of llamas met us when we arrived and we saw many more on our hike.

The next day the lake was too rough for us to travel back to Puno by boat so we waited for a bus to arrive to take us back. The hotel provided us with snacks and drinks while we waited and packed a box dinner and drinks for our ride back. They kept us updated on our travel plans and were very attentive to our needs. The ride from the island to the mainland was a bit exciting. They transported us on a seal team boat. We had blankets to keep us warm and dry and the locals that rode with us didn't seem to think this was a dangerous way to travel! Just another adventure to add to our trip!!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank lancemc61
Reviewed 24 October 2016

An amazing island paradise; a charming hotel with loads of character together with outstanding garden views of the stunning Lake Titicaca. Friendly and professional service by all staff. We had a wonderful room overlooking the lake which added to the whole experience. Watching a glorious sunset while enjoying a couple of Pisco's...does it get any better?

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple