New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Farallon
Charlotte, North Carolina
“bad experince”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

I was on vacation with my family for 3 days. We were very happy to spend a few days in this resort; but what a disappointed experience we had.
the food was very poor that I had stomachache last day. I was vomiting all night. when we check-in the receptionist treat me like I was there asking him for a favor to stay there with no reservation. I made my reservation on time and I pay at the office before I went to the resort with my family. The receptionist had no manners and the personnel needs some training how to deal with different customer, even if they are dealing with their own native customer. At the bar we had the same bad experience. The bartenders had no manners with very nasty attitude. I can said the only employee treat us fairly was the employee in charge to make reservation in the different restaurants this resort has and I don't know his name.
I don't recommend this place because is wasting your money. The hotel has beautiful views, but you don't go only to see the view; you go for the whole package. That's why I pay for "all inclusiv

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank nici2159

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

I totally agree with the prior posts this is a 3.5 hotel, very clean but rooms are some what dated. It would be good it the hotel would do a very simple cheap expense by just putting in the safe locks in every room and not charge the 3 bucks daily... have fun figuring out your lock ours had a trick to it! Now on to the meat and potatoes of my review here is the full list of tours and costs provided by nolitours. You are going to read a lot of the same info in these reviews but here is something nobody is posting.

city tour + canal $75
Panama express train $135
canal + shopping $55
river rafting on rio grande $125
Anton Valley $50
canopy adventure $90 (only 4 lines)
Panama canal expedition $100
surf - El Palmar beach $75
Booze cruise $75
4 x 4 mountain bike tours $70
atv tour - anton valley $150
Deep sea fishing $210 (go down to Marina they only charge $195) this is per person you can trolling only (they will cook your catch of the day for you that evening)

Good service, men are very friendly that work there but single ladies... remember they are married even if they say there are single...lol however great people in Panama one of our friendliest places we have visited in our travels.

Food at buffets are ok the la cartes are good. If you got this hotel at a good price then it's a great value for your money, if you are paying full price keep on shopping around as you will be disappointed.

Our room was in building 23 very TOP of the hill and I was going to change it to move down to the beach but I thought... we need the exercise so let's keep it and loose some weight! Not recommended however if you have walking issues, you will hate the hotel because it is massive in size and up a step hill. However our room faced the pool and we had the bar and snack bar right at our feet, no ocean view but great view of the enfinity pool!

Sometimes your vacation isn't always about the hotel but the people you meet and if we didn't meet such a great bunch of people we might of been disappointed, they made our trip along with the lovely people of Panama. Don't forget to leave a couple of bucks for your servers they work hard and a lot of people don't tip and they workers can really benefit from a couple of dollars here and there. :)

Room Tip: building 23 was quiet, nice view, great pool and bar but be prepared to work out! It's killer h...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank zippy579
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

We stayed at the Royal Decameron in Panama from May 14 to 21, 2012. Although it was at the beginning of the rainy season, it did not rain too much (maybe 10-15 minutes each day at the end of the day), however it was VERY humid.

We have stayed at the Royal Decameron in El Salvador so we had some idea of what to expect. This resort was pretty comparable, although we did enjoy El Salvador slightly more.

As most have said, the resort is large. I highly recommend a beachfront room. The rooms were decent. Beds were a bit hard for my taste. Air conditioning could have been cooler, it was difficult to sleep some nights (the units are locked at one temp, so the only option is on or off). Overall they were kept fairly clean, except on one day when I think our usual maid was not working. Not only was our toilet paper not replaced that day, but we had brought some of our own snacks from home... when my husband went to eat his chocolate bar that night it was gone (it seemed strange, of all things for someone to take).

Food at the resort was ok. We tried the thai and barbeque restaurants on our first two nights. Both were terrible so we stuck to buffet for the rest of our trip, until the last night when we got brave again and tried the fusion restaurant. It was much better than the other a la cartes.

The beach is beautiful for walking, however we had red flags during the whole week so we didn't get to do any ocean swimming which was disappointing. However there are an abundance of pools all over the property so none ever seemed too crowded. We spent most of our time at the pool by Cayuco snack bar, which was also close to our room in Block 11.

Most of the time we had great service. Nothing is more annoying than being halfway through dinner before receiving water/drinks. We almost always had drinks within a minute or two of sitting down which we really appreciated. There was only one morning that comes to mind when coffee took a little longer than usual to arrive.

We took two tours during our trip with Decameron Explorer - the Anton Valley tour and the City Tour & Canal. Anton Valley was nice, but it was a pretty basic tour and we didn't learn much from our tour guide. The Panama City/Canal tour was much better, our tour guide was very knowledgeable. The only thing we wish we'd known about this tour is it stops at a duty-free shop and in order to buy anything there you need photo ID (passports if you intend to buy tobacco products). We had left our ID in the safe in our hotel room.

Overall it was a nice vacation to somewhere a little more off the beaten path. We would consider maybe going again when the new airport is open.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a beach front room for convenience to the beach, pools, and most restaurants.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ellejay74
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

This review is very late, but comes as a result of us contemplating going again! We enjoyed ourselves that much to consider a re-do.

Flight
We left Calgary on March 14, 2011. There was a delay when our flight landed in Costa Rica, and had a brake line blown out. We were stuck at the airport for approximately 5hrs before we were transported via bus to the Sheraton for an overnight stay. This was not pleasing to us, but we had 2 weeks coming up in Panama, so we took it all in stride. For those that only had a weeks stay, it sucked. Air Transat made ammends by offering $150 p/person vouchers. The flight there and back was LONG!!! If you are going from YYC for less than 2 weeks, then your butt will not get a chance to heal. If you can, pay the upgrade for the front seats of the plane.

Transport to & from Airport
Our tour reps (Nolit, I think?) were super organized when we got there! I've heard lots of complaints about the length of the transport. I swear I thought it was just under 2hrs to get there and back - can be scenic. We had the drunk guy at the back of our bus that kept singing 'Dirty Bit' over and over - that was more painful than the trip itself. Luckily, we stopped half way for a tinkle & beer. I really didn't mind the trip at all (even on the way back).

Arrival @ Hotel
They were very organized as well. We lined up according to surname, got our key, and started wandering down w/ our luggage to our room.

Room
We had a beach front room (building 32) right beside the Atlantis Buffet (middle buffet, below lobby 2). We were on the top level, which I would recommend. There was a king sized bed, a couch, & flat screen tv (to my surprise). We didn't mind the room at all. Bed was a bit firm, but we were just happy to have a king sized that wasn't two doubles pushed together. We were hoping for more of an ocean view, as there were tree's blocking it. The room was very central, and did not experience any noise from the Disco, or the evening show.

Resort
It's huge, with beautiful landscaping, tree's, flowers. So lush and established. There are iguana's and peacocks. We didn't see anything else, though I was hoping to see a Tucan.

Water
Im not big on getting in the ocean. I did once to say I did. My boyfriend played in lots. There were 2 days with insane waves that almost dragged some old guy out. Im pretty sure my boyfriend ended up with some sort of whiplash / concussion. The undertow - for a couple of days- was crazy! It wasn't always like that, but for a short time.
The pools were nice...a little less dangerous.

I don't expect a lot from resort food after having been to Cuba the year before. I found it to be very good! No complaints, and we were there for 2 weeks!

Drinks
Decent. Nothing to complain about. We brought our Bubba Kegs so we didn't waste plastic cups, and have to go back repeatedly. Mas Ron por favor...that's how we ordered ;)

We found all the people there to be very nice. If you're expecting them to gush all over you, you will be disappointed. They were respectful, and fairly reserved. Tipping didn't get us better service, though we tipped generously anyways (based on principle). We enjoyed the Panamanian people very much.

Security
We had initial concerns based on previous reviews about security. When we got there, we found one-two guards posted outside every building, w/ radios. If something looked suspicious, the were on it. We received on key for our safe lock (which you rent), and one for the room so we were a wary of losing them.

Tours
We didn't take the resort tours. We hired Panama Road Runner. We'd asked for an armed rep. Sounds ridiculous, but based on the hyped up reviews I'd read before going we weren't sure what to expect. Ashley picked us up at 8 am and took us out for the day. I can't say enough about this company. We started off by going to the old city. It was so empty - except for a huge funeral, filled with armed guards and TV stations everywhere. Apparently the ex-VP had died and it was a national holiday. Then off for lunch near the marina (?) where they have duty free. It was a great pizza place that Ashley recommended. Buy him a Gelato when your there, he loves it ;) We then went to the Canal and then on the Gamboa Monkey Island tour. It's weird when I check the site now, it almost looks like there are new owners?

The town
The town of Farallon is really nice to walk through! There are a couple of grocery stores w/snacks and drinks. Woody's is just up the beach, where you can get a Ceasar or Crown & Coke. Monique was super friendly and welcoming.

Down the beach
Manuel Noriega's old house.

Entertainment
Everynight there is a show. It didn't hold much interest for us. We would sit in the Lobby 1 bar and drink Spanish Coffee's

Weather
It was so nice! It could be overcast at times, but when the sun would come out, I could fee my skin burning.

Gym
Yes..we used the gym, and it's a great little gym!

What would I change? I may see if we can get a room on just other side of the Atlantis Buffet. MUST get a Beachfront Room. That would be it. This was the most relaxing vacation we've had. We could sun ourselves, nap, work out, walk, eat. It was just awesome, and I think we may want to spend this Christmas there.

Hope this was helpful, and still relevant a year later!

Room Tip: We had a beachfront room, top level, building 32. This is beside the middle buffet. Had tree's...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Kristi A
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

The resort is facing the Pacific Ocean and swimming became a bit of a challenge to me because of the big waves. I believe it's just a matter of timing since some days when I don't feel like swimming, the ocean is calmer! Haha!

Anyway, we stayed at rooms 4731 & 4722, both rooms equally good in terms of size, cleanliness, large bathrooms, view (facing the ocean & the pool). The bad thing was wi-fi is not free and will cost you US$15 for 24 hours. Regarding the food, after the 4th day, the food gets redundant in Pacifiko and Atlantis. Good thing they have several specialty restaurants but you need to book ahead (EL Canal - seafood, Mogo Mogo - Thai, Sushi Samba - Japanese, Pannamai - Italian, Cafe Med - Mediterranean, Cayuco - Grill, Kontiki - fusion). Honestly, I didn't like the taste at all. We went to all restaurants and not even one was memorable enough to write a "yummy" review. The saving grace for me is when it's breakfast time. That's the time that I would really eat a lot (fruits, pancakes, oatmeals, bacon & eggs, lots of different breads, the works). Can't complain with the overflowing drinks though. That's one of the fab part aside from the friendly staff.

Hard Rock Cafe is within the vicinity for some rockin' night. Souvenir store prices is a great place to shop since the prices are reasonable. They almost have all the essentials in case you forgot to bring from home.

If you don't like walking or having difficulty going up and down the stairs, request for a beach front room. This is very important as a lot of the rooms are situated in a hill.

By 2013 (if memory serves me right), there will be a new airport just 5 minutes away from this resort so expect a surge of tourists visiting this place. Excursions are available and we availed the City Tour + Panama Canal Tour. Highly recommended.

Overall, I had a great time in this place.

Room Tip: Beach front. Definitely.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank wrkshy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farallon
7.9 km away
1.4 km away
Casa Guardia Panama
Casa Guardia Panama
#3 of 5 in Farallon

Been to Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino? Share your experiences!