“The Best Italian Food in Chitre”
Review of Monterosa

Monterosa
Ranked #20 of 52 Restaurants in Chitre
Cuisines: Italian
Description: In the center of Chitre you can find Monterosa, a family-run trattoria intimate and friendly atmosphere with authentic Italian cuisine made ​​by Italian chef Pamela
Reviewed 18 June 2015

The owner greeted us and we were seated immediately. The restaurant reminds me of sitting down in a restaurant in Europe… not in Panamá.

I ordered Embutidos as a starter … it is Milano salami and smoked ham… along with two sodas. It was served with a basket of sliced fresh French bread. I knew we were going to need some time for my wife to decide as the menu offers a large variety of dishes.

She decided on fettuccine pasta served with Bolognese sauce. I ordered the Chicken Milanese with a side dish of sautéed artichoke hearts.

The owner explained that the pasta is made fresh every morning. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner (closed Sunday night and Monday). No pizza served here… just great pasta dishes with some excellent meat or chicken plates.

My wife was surprised, and very impressed, that there was an Italian Restaurant of this high quality here in Chitré.

For dessert we shared a slice of Torta Napoleone.

Unfortunately, the restaurant does not accept credit cards… just cash.

We will be back as this is the only place in town to get great Italian dishes…

Buen Provecho,
Panama Vagabond

Reviewed 25 April 2015 via mobile

This small (6 tables at most) osteria is located in the middle of downtown Chitre. I found it by using a restaurant app and knew it had good reviews. I'm so glad I did.

Arrived by food, since it was 4 blocks away from my hotel, for lunch and there was only one table available.

The menu was simple but with enough variety. What surprised me was the selection of sauces.

The owner was also the waiter and the cashier, but the service was never an issue. My order was taken prompltly and with a smile. He proceded to bring some bread and water and then clean a nearby table. A very efficient man.

This place has little to none decor and a tv that shows current music videos. You defenitely don't come here for the ambiance.

Then there was the food. OMG! I ordered the best napolitan clams on the shell that I have had in my life. They were so good I kept the sauce for my main pasta dish.

I ordered the fettuccine panna e panccetta (wanted the ravioli but they had run out). What a delight! This was a creamy but not heavy white souce. I poured some of the red tomato sauce from my clams and made a rosé souce to die for.

I watch other tables and everyone seemed to be enjoying their food. The empty plates confirmed that.

All in all, this is a simple, no frills restaurant that impresses with the food quality and real italian flavor. If you are more into dinner and a show, then head somewhere else.

Will be my first food stop whenever I return to Chitré.

1  Thank Alberto G
Reviewed 19 March 2015

A friend and I had heard about this new Italian restaurant in Chitre. We went for a late lunch as we had heard it was a small venue. I ordered a chicken roasted with a side of potatoes and my friend ordered a lemon, olive oil grilled pork dinner. The owner returned and said they were out of potatoes and suggested a salad. We both said ok. To our surprise the salads were $3.00 extra each and the bill was over $25.00. Because of this we both asked for the seniors discount which I normally don't do for small independent business.

1  Thank BigDogPanama
Reviewed 4 March 2015

Great spot for Italian food in Chitré. There are literally two pages worth of sauces and you can upgrade for $1 to their homemade fettuccine. Also recommend the lomo con salsa de limón and the potatoes.

1  Thank Jeremy P
Reviewed 28 February 2015

Authentic Italian cuisine. It is all about the taste: fresh, hand made and delicious. This restaurant in the heart of the City of Chitre, Herrera, Panama opened its doors a few months ago, since then it has become the talk of the town. No fancy decorations nor deceiving distractions neither; all the interest is put on the food preparation to make it as original (home made) as possible. I had the best spaghetti Carbonara outside Rome (its going to take time to forget such delicacy) preceded by a delicious arrange of appetizers and at the end: a delightful slice of a Neapolitan cake made on the premises. My companion had a Fettuccine Alfredo with tender pieces of chicken breast. It is impossible to get anything more fresh in the area. Not to forget the diligent attention of our waiter Emmanuel who willingly served us with "to the point" information about the menu and very knowledgeable about the dishes served. The prices are just right (very affordable) which makes it more appealing for everybody. The relaxing-informal ambiance of the location makes you want to comeback to the place -maybe even the day after-. Restaurante Monterosa is at its very early stage; Like a wonderful breath of fresh Italian air to the City or like a beautiful bambino I would like to see it grow and flourish in to a bigger location. Eccellente. Bravo!

1  Thank Miami_Gio