“The best”

Jason Lara Tours
Ranked #3 of 10 Food & Drink in Boquete
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Jason Lara is a bilingual experienced bird guide who offers personalized, private tours for novice and avid birders throughout Western Panama. Tour areas include Boquete, Volcan and Cerro Punta, and The Continental Divide between the Chiriqui and Bocas del Toro provinces Jason also offers coffee, hiking and sightseeing tours around Boquete and the Panama Highlands, highlighting points of interest to travelers. Jason introduces the stunning beauty and biodiversity of the region to visitors, combined with friendly service, history and information. Tours are available every day of the week, are fully customized to meet your goals and schedule, and include transportation. Please contact Jason to set up your tour!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Jason and this tour was my favorite thing that I did on my recent trip to Panama. He is so knowledgeable, friendly and can find everything you want to see. I am not a 'lister', I only had two requests (quetzal and sloth) and he found both for us on the trail. His expertise is amazing. He heard a bird call and knew immediately what it was and pulled it up on his phone to show us the bird. He also has a great scope that you can use to take close up shots. He showed us around Boquete and gave us great tips for the rest of our stay. I highly recommend Jason to anyone who wants to find birds in Panama. He is your guide!

All reviews
"cerro punta"
"male"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We were very impressed with Jason. Even before meeting him in Panama it was very easy to contact him and arrange for our day of birding. His knowledge is excellent as well as his spotting capabilities. We were a group of three including my 82 year old mother, who is very fit but is, afterall, in her eighties. Jason was more than willing to accommodate our needs deciding where to go and what terrain to cover. He also provided water and a light snack which was greatly appreciated too. His English is perfect and as others mentioned he has a good 4x4 vehicle for getting through rough areas. We had a really great time and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone visiting the Boquete region.

We had a great time

Reviewed 25 February 2018

My husband and I had the good fortune to have Jason Lara as our bird guide for a full day of birding in the Boquete region. We would not have been able to get to the areas without Jason’s knowledge about best birding sites AND his essential 4 wheel drive vehicle. The roads to some of these locations demand a vehicle with very high clearance and off-road gearing to slowly travel across the steep, boulder-strewn mountain roads. He got us where we needed to go safely and comfortably. His English skills are impeccable and he is a phenomenal spotter. If you’re looking for a tiny little bird that’s the same green color as the tree it’s sitting in, he will find it. And, he’ll get his spotting scope on it quickly too. Additionally, he knows a great deal about the region and its history. This was an all around great experience. I highly recommend Jason’s guiding services!
Barbara Clark

Reviewed 28 January 2018

Was that Jason wasn't booked when we called him the day before we wanted to tour. We'd had a cancellation from another guide and were fortunate to hook up with Jason. He asked my g'friend - what do you want to see? She answered - the Quetzal. We weren't in Volcan Baru for 5 minutes before he spotted one. Amazing. As was the rest of this tour. Book this guy, Dano.

2  Thank dgguido
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

My wife and I booked a full day birding and coffee tour with Jason. It was fantastic! We were taken to a small farm outside of Boquete. The owner of the farm has a huge deck with numerous hummingbird feeders on it. Jason apologized that it was nesting season so there were fewer than normal birds. There was nothing to be sorry about. The birds were everywhere. The owner of the farm, Mishael, went into the yard just below the deck and put out some fresh papaya and birds came from everywhere to feed. At one time there 6 Aracari on the feeder. Jason had spotting scope which brought the birds into amazing detail. We then walked out into the farm to some seed trees to see a whole new bunch of birds. Once again, Jason and Mishael used their knowledge to help us spot all kinds of colourful birds. We went back onto the deck and watched hummingbirds again for a long time. There was no rush. Then we drove back into the hills above Boquete for a coffee tour. Jason took us out through the fields and explained the growing and picking process involved with Panamanian coffee. We then went to the processing part of the farm where Jason showed us the coffee roasting process. The days pick had just came in so we got a chance to see how husks were removed from the coffee berry. Jason even went and got the owner so we could meet him. Couldn’t recommend this more!

1  Thank Bill B