“Why Bother” 3 of 5 bubbles

Angsana Velavaru
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Why Bother”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I was excited until I got to the Air port, not what expected from a 5 star resort, they say first impressions count... Well they do, as soon as we got there, we were presented with a rundown shack, you may enjoy your experience of a rundown shack but that should be left for other parts of the world where they do not charge an arm and a leg for a "Once in a life time" experience...
We booked the 5 star resort expecting five star service, I even took my time to read the 200+ other posts on trip advisor about the hotel to make sure it was worth while... I should have listened to the negative points a little better, however leaving things to the last minute I was running out of time.
First the staffs were unpleasant, it’s like they could not be bothered, they all seemed tiered and when asked how long they are working for, most were telling me 3 months without a break, (sleeping and eating offcourse) from morning to night. They are stuck on the island.
Then they rip you off by flying a seaplane that costs as much as the flight from Abu Dhabi, where they dictate to you the time of arrival and departure, too bad if your flight is late in the night and someone else has a later flight then you, you’re stuck at the [--] airport in which you arrived, it caters with 2 cafe shops that are hardly quality.
The hotel offered 2 high chairs for your child, none had any safety harnesses on them or padding, they looked like they had been there as long as the island has.
To top it off, during check out, I was charged an extra night stay plus the ridiculously priced sea plane fare for a child under 2. Both should have not been charged. While I was discussing this with the duty manager, the General Manager walked by (an Englishmen) and said a hello, when I told him how frustrated I was with the whole experience, he simply turned around, patted his man on the back and told me that his man was working on it. He did not bother to check if he could help, you will see on other posts how apologetic he is with other complaints, he will properly do the same on this one, but at the end he really does not care, or at least that is the impression I get. So in short be careful, do not expect the staff to be overly welcoming, they are tiered, I don't blame them. Check your bills, or you may pay for things that you shouldn't.
However, as a destination, there is nothing else quite like it, so make sure you choose the right hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms are small except the the highest quility one
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Youhavrnoidea
BTGroup, Manager at Angsana Velavaru, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Dear Youhavrnoidea,

I am pleased to advise that the Maldives authority do have a long term plan to improve their airport facilities, we will also share your views with the seaplane operator.

When reading your comments I’m sorry you feel that way but your only concern raised to me was that you were unhappy that you had to pay Maldivian taxes which are set out by Maldivian law. You commented that you were not aware of them so we tried politely to advise you that it was clearly stated on the booking engine you used. When I personally approached you to offer help you communicated that you were flustered and wanted to go through your bill with Amjad the Assistant Front Office Manager hence I left you in peace to do so with him.

Thank you for your comments on the high chairs that we provide and we will certainly remove any that are deemed to be inadequate, we have many of these available as we continue to grow in popularity with the family market primarily due to our offerings and the kids club.

Our associates are among the happiest in the Maldives as this Resort has one of the lowest turnovers in the country. Upon your departure we proactively tried to e mail you to assist further to outline the taxes payable once again for your convenience.

Angsana Hotels and Resorts warmly welcomes all guests to our resorts worldwide, and invites them to experience the discerning hospitality for which we are renowned. We will do our utmost to make each guest experience a unique and worthwhile journey, and welcome constructive feedback sent directly or via social media channels to assist us in refining our service and guest experience.

We do hope that you choose to stay with us in the future so that we can make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Kind regards,

Andrew Langston
Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Telford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

We visited Angsana velavaru for our honeymoon in January for two weeks, and whilst it is quite expensive once your there (probably like the whole of the Maldives) it's worth it! This really is a beautiful island, the staff were lovely, the rooms are right on the beach and there is lots to do, if you can be bothered to get off your sunbed! We kayaked around the island several times, snorkelled, you can windsurf or kite surf even. The food is brilliant, it's mainly Asian however it does change daily and they have Maldivian nights so you can also sample the local food. Overall if you are looking to visit the Maldives but feel that you want an island where there is a bit of life (but not over the top) then this is the island I would recommend, we had an amazing time and would go back tomorrow!!

• Stayed January 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Lucille79
Bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

We went to this hotel as part of a 2 stop honeymoon in June 2010. Weather wasn't great while we were there, but the staff were very attentive, and were more than willing to help you. We stayed on the reef section with the Villas and they were awesome! Really nice inside.
The food is a LOT better on the reef restaurant than on the island. We even had a meal in the "special" resturant on the jetty on the Island and have to say the food was better on the reef restaurant!
We did the fishing and caught 2 very large sailfish which the Chef then prepared for lunch and fed the rest to the guests and staff over the next 48 hours! yes there was that much to go round!
It was our first time to the Maldives and the only thing we were disappointed with was the weather. It did rain once, but the rest of the time it was patchy cloud. Cannot fault the hotel, it was great.
Beware of the prices, but to be honest as its a set of islands you should really expect to pay more for imported beer etc.
You can get good deals for this hotel if you use Emirates and stop over in Dubai (which we did). All in all it cost 4500 UK for 10 nights, ( 5 nights full board in Maldives and 5 nights half board in Al Qasr Madinat in Dubai... including flights and transfers!)

Room Tip: Go for the Villas.. they are worth it!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MarkFBournemouth
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

This is my first tripadvisor review: generally I do not write reviews, however this time I am willing to do so.
It has been almost a year since my stay at Angsana Velavaru, however I still have an urge to write about this hotel.
One word: PERFECT
Many words:
1. the island:
I have done a lot of research before booking this hotel and found this rare gem. This was not my first time to the Maldives, but I must admit, that this was my best stay. The island is beautiful, big enough not to get bored (we stayed 12 days) and not to meet too many people on the beach/in water and compact enough to be able to get quickly from your bungalow to the restaurant / diving /spa. The beaches are quite variable: one side is covered in coral for snorkelers or just walking around during the low tide, the other side is transparent pool-like crystal water for swimming. The gardens are very nice and well maintained; there are even beautiful multicolored parrots, who make love to the camera very willingly. We were not bothered by the insects at all (Luck? Season? Fumigation?). The fishes are numerous and variable, though we did not see any reef sharks like at the other islands. There was a trigger fish instead and it was quite aggressive with the swimmers-it was protecting the nest it made on one of the beaches. There is no “public” pool, but who needs it if the ocean around looks like one?!
I think a good indicator of the beauty of the island is that Maxim’s Russia came to the island for a photo shoot of an aging starlet singer, done by a very famous (and very drunk) photographer.

2. the bungalow:
It is nice, not excellent, but good quality for the price. The outside bathroom adds a lot and we enjoyed showering under the stars. Our room was very well maintained, all the sand was immediately cleaned from the floor and every night they would put a small gift on your pillow: very cute touch. We used the complimentary drinking water only for brushing our teeth and we bought big sealed water bottles at the bar for drinking at a very reasonable price. The WIFI is slow, but works well all around the island.

3. The transfer:
It was done beautifully from the moment we were gathered at the airport and taken to the Banyan tree lounge (with WIFI, drinks, etc) to the moment the sea plane landed by the side of the island and we were taken by a boat to the shore. The only problem…is that the sea plane flies mostly above water and you do not get to see that many beautiful lagoons from above, but do have your cameras ready!!! Another little issue worth mentioning: the sea plane company allows you only so many kilos per person on luggage and carry on baggage and we were very stressed about it, knowing how much overweight kilos usually cost. They charge you smth like 1.5USD per extra kilo, so not really a concern!

4. Service/ staff
This is a separate chapter. They are great! And by great I mean: efficient, quick, courteous, respectful, funny, smart and smiling. From the guy that did our check in and tour on the island, to the restaurant staff, spa staff and gardeners. They all speak a good level of English and I saw front desk staff speak Japanese, Chinese, Russian, German and other languages to the guests. A few names I would like to mention: Shafee, Inna, Ahmed, Jafar…unfortunately I cannot remember the names of the others, but they were all great!
The manager cocktail is very nice: you get to talk to the staff, find out how things work around the island and chat to the other guests. I was amazed when my husband went to do the check out and I asked him to ask for an adaptor at the front desk , 10 seconds after he left, somebody knocked on the door with with the adaptor in hand!!!

5. the food
The food was very good for Maldives: the evening buffet and grill was different every night, all of the food was very tasty, fresh and varied. The drinks menu is quite limited: they used to run out of bottles of wine and were very dependant on the supply boat. The breakfast was very nice, lots of varied food for all tastes, the only little hiccup: the fruit selection was quite limited (which is understandable, because of their location). And again, the egg/pancake stand was a permanent show of great cooking skills, good mood and warm welcome from Shafee.
We only ate at the main restaurant in the evening, since we got the half board and at the bar at daytime.

6. things to do:
I cannot evaluate the usual Maldivian snorkeling/diving/kayaking and surfing (the last two being free), because I never even bothered to do any, but my husband tried snorkeling and kayaking and said it was brilliant. The SPA is so so: the main SPA lobby is very nice, the staff is very courteous and skillful, however the treatment place was hideous: with nasty pink polyester curtains- it took away all of the charm from the treatment and I never returned, my husband went quite a few times though. We also did the sunset tour, which was nicely organized and again, the staff was great. I used quite a few times the fitness room, which is very decent for Maldives: you have 3 treadmills, a machine for leg/arm muscles, weights and a TV. One night they even took out a big telescope and showed and explained us different stars and planets. Our favorite moment was at the sunset, when we sat outside the bar area and watched the staff play soccer barefoot on the beach ( I hate soccer, but I really enjoyed it then and there) till it became dark.

7. the water villas: of no interest for me

The stay at Angsana was so relaxing…that I forgot my wallet in the safe in the room….full of cash, credit cards, insurance cards, driving license, etc etc: my entire life. And I realized that only at the airport (yeah, duty free shopping). I have called them immediately and they found my wallet and over a few emails, we managed to work out how to send it back to me. I have told them to use the cash inside, or charge the cards inside for the DHL service…and I was extremely surprised to receive it very quickly by DHL with EVERYTHING intact, down to the last penny! I am very grateful to these people for handling my personal belongings with such efficiency and care!

Great quality/price value, and if an extra 5-star touch is sometimes missing, it is largely compensated by the level of service and competence of staff, who would gladly go an extra mile and anticipate your needs/wants and take initiative.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Bambi B
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

Excellent hotel on a very beautiful island, Thanks to all staff who are so sweet with us, especially to Romain Vidal from diving center and Mossa our house keeper.

We really recommend it for people who want the most beautiful honey moon.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
16.5 km away
Starfish Inn Hotel
Starfish Inn Hotel
#1 of 2 in Nilandhoo

Been to Angsana Velavaru? Share your experiences!