“Don't be fooled by their website...”

Pinnacles Kuching Lodge
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Don't be fooled by their website...”
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I was sent the hotel's link by one of my colleagues, and viewed their slick-looking website. I checked TA, and was doubtful because the last review was in March 2009. But the website mentioned a new makeover (21 Jan 2010) and the pictures looked really good. The Private Family Deluxe advertised on their site was rated RM135 or USD45, which I thought was pretty reasonable for such a nice looking place.

Boy was I wrong! I thought I was in the wrong hotel to begin with - the corridors smelt musty, the carpets were stained, the reception area was not as bright as in the pictures, the double doors leading to the enclosed 'balcony' in our room couldn't close, the chair in the balcony didn't have a back part to rest on. I asked about their supposedly new makeover, and the lady said she just joined the hotel so knew nothing about it.

I think what I was most disappointed about was the misleading website they had. If they had been honest up front, we wouldn't have been disheartened to see the real conditions. I have stayed in the most basic of accommodations before but then I knew what to expect. We looked around, but unfortunately, the ones that got good TA reviews didn't have enough rooms for our group.

If you are not expecting much and are out of the hotel sightseeing most parts of the day, the Pinnacle Lodge is an okay place to stay. The bathrooms are medium-sized, the showers are so-so hot, the street noise level at night is acceptable (at the top of a road junction), there's a 7-11 below on the ground floor. Surprisingly, we had to pay for Internet wifi, which is usually given free at budget places. So what we did was to walk down to the nearest pub for free wifi, and a pint.

The hotel staff warned me to watch my bag when I ventured out after midnight. The streets are quiet except for the Piccadilly disco & pub a block away, and another pub opposite the Hilton.

Breakfast is self service. I'm not sure what it is because we always ate out. The breakfast area would always be devoid of people. While I was there, I only saw one Western couple.

The address says Level 1, but it's actually located on Level 2 (Level 1 is the 7-Eleven store on the street level). So your rooms are on Levels 3 and 4.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank assamkl

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
kuala lumpur
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Heard about this place from a friend who frequents Kuching and decided to give it a try. For the amount we paid for this place, it's definitely value for money! Small, cozy, clean and wonderful! Good amenities, strategic location, excellent service and totally unexpected for a budget hotel! However, not many people know about this place and I wish that there are more promotions and advertisements on this lovely haven. Would most definitely recommend this place to my friends and family. MUST-TRY!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jemmym
SINGAPORE
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Overall clean, affordable hotel for budget travellers. Must go
& visit Topspot seafood rest which is just 5mins walk away. Convenient location to pubs, malls, waterfront with friendly staff. Continental breakfast provided but if you have extra dough to spare, I suggest having buffet breakfast at Hilton or Holiday Inn instead. No harm to splurge on breakfast as It's the most important meal of the day.

Much better location than other budget hotels around there. Do plan for a kayaking trip in the highlands once in Kuching.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — aircon leaking
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank JM070707
London
Reviewed 7 December 2008

We had booked to stay at the Pinnacles for 2 nights and stayed for 3, but on the whole we were disappointed. The room was very basic with bad fitting furniture for the shape of the room, and no bedside table. The carpet was worn with stains and there were hairs in the "clean" bed sheets, so we used our own clothes as pillow cases. Breakfast was "help yourself" and very basic, but from experience, I think that's generally the case in most places in Borneo. On the plus side the bathroom was bright and clean, there was airconditioning and the location was very central. Also, we were able to get our washing done through the staff at a very reasonable price.

Having said that, I would not return to this hotel as unfortunately we had an incident with the staff. On first arriving at the hotel we didn't have enough cash to cover the deposit plus two full nights accommodation (which they request up front). As this was a new hotel (or I'd say it's more like a hostel) they didn't currently have their card machine installed. We returned later on in the evening with the remainder of the money we owed. However, two days later when we asked to book another night (and immediately paid up front), they told us that we had not paid our deposit on the first night and disputed it when we insisted that we had. To cut a long story short, my partner spoke over the phone to the manager to persuade her that we had paid everything. This was not very pleasant as we felt threatened by the staff on reception, it was 9pm and we worried that we might need to find another hotel for the night and the following night. From this point of view, I did not find the staff at all professional, and during the day they seemed to be sleeping in reception or playing computer games with their friends whenever we passed through. The manager made an appearance at the end of our stay, and she was extremely friendly and helpful, possibly trying to make up for our lost confidence in our experience of the service.

If I was to stay again in Kuching, I don't think I would go back to the Pinnacles. I think the hotel is still in the stages of establishing its brand, and if I was the manager I would consider training up the staff to a more professional and courteous level.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ElsBellesLondon

Travellers are raving about these Kuching hotels

Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2008

A good budget option - lady on reception was very pleasant, & helped us arrange trips to Semmengoh to see the Orangs!
Clean basic rooms, nice a/c & hot water, free toast & tea for brekkie.
Good location, walking distance to all amenities & bars etc.

Only doubt was we think some money went missing from our room while we were out. (not certain) - could have gone missing before Kuching but unlikely, & it left a bit of a sour taste in our mouths - 1st time its happened in 4 years of travelling, but didn't mention it as i had no proof.

• Stayed November 2007