“Excellent place, great staff, great fun.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Nomade Hostel

and 1 more site!
Le Nomade Hostel
kildare
“Excellent place, great staff, great fun.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

Upon arrival we were met by Chris, the owner and manager of Nomad. He immediately showed us around and to our room. Chris also told us to pay on departure which I always prefer to do.
The room was the most expensive they have at 75ringit a night but this was for a double with private shower and toilet and a window and also A/C.
The one and only complaint I think I have about this place is that the shower/toilet cubicle is a bit weird because it's so small and cramped. It was clean and worked well, but you needed to stand right against the toilet to shower an the whole cubicle would be soaked at the end of your shower, meaning that if you wanted to use the toilet afterwards, your feet would get wet. This was only a small complaint though and barely reflected on the place.
We arrived on New Years Eve and we wanted to go out for a drink to celebrate the night but we didn't really find anywhere decent that night. So we went back to the hostel with a few beers.
When we arrived there was a group around the table and common room drinking and being merry. This group included Chris (owner) and his friend Sullivan who was great fun. They knew we had beer but insisted on us sharing rice wine and their own beer with them all night. There was also a free BBQ which was great. Overall a great night!

The next few days went smoothly and all of the staff were friendly and helpful. Chris was great to talk to and had no problem answering questions on his own tribe, the Iban.
Kuching is a good city and very easy to explore. Good food and good fun are easily found.
I'd highly recommend this hostel and Kuching. If I go back I will definitely be staying here.

• Stayed January 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

I did Not find it really clean. And stay Away from the laundry Service. I got my clothes back Bad smelling and still almost wet.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Mozartkugel
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

I arrived at this hostel by chance after sharing a taxi with someone from the airport. How lucky was I? This was one of the loveliest hostels I've stayed in in my 10 months travelling.
The dorms are cool and quiet (except occasionally when someone watches a DVD too loud in the lounge) and they have lockers. The staff are delightful and the manager Chris is very helpful and fun. He invited me to eat dinner with them one night and we had wild boar casserole. On the subject of food, breakfast is awesome, hot pancakes are made in 2 rounds (early and mid morning, er, both?!), there is brown (!) bread and every jam under the sun including coconut, English marmalade and crunchy and smooth peanut butter.. There is also fruit periodically and tea, coffee and milo. If you need a place to chill there is an astounding DVD collection. In general the atmosphere is great and you will meet other friendly travellers here, I found it hard to leave the hostel. My only complaint is that there is a lot of smoking that goes on in the common areas. The location is well within walking distance of bus stops and the town.
There is free wi-fi and you can hire laptops for 5 Ringitt an hour.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Nijmegen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

It's not hard to imagine why this place has so many good reviews already. The people working there do a really good job at making everyone feel welcome. The place feels like a home away from home.

The place gets a lot of backpackers, so I don't know if I would stay here with a family or elderly people, but for backpackers this is THE place to be in Kuching I guess.

We stayed at a 'family room', which is rather large with en ensuite bathroom/shower (but no ensuite toilet). I suppose the double rooms and dorms are okay as well, but I haven't been there myself. The whole place is clean and well looked after.

The hostel is nearby the Kuching Waterfront, which makes for a nice evening stroll.

We had one problem with this hostel. Altough we had a reservation for four nights they had only rooms available for two nights. Their was a problem with their administration which also affected other guests. However, they felt really bad about it and did everything they could to solve it. They bought extra beds for the dorms and transferred us to the hotel next door for the remaining nights (which was also a good place to stay).

Normally these kind of problems would make me write a negative review, but since this place was so amazing and the people working there were this nice and did everything in their power to solve the problem, I would still highly recommend this place to everyone looking for a place to stay in Kuching (especially backpackers who like to meet locals and other backpackers in a friendly and social atmosphere)

Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2010
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2010

This place is good value and the staff are friendly. Unfortunately, unlike some other hostels in the area, smoking is allowed in the common area. People were smoking freely in the common area and sometimes leaving the doors to the dorm rooms open. I can see how the place is welcoming and attractive to smokers. I know someone who left after one night due to the discomfort of the smoke. I stayed a few more due to its price, but I would not choose to go there again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo