Ways to Experience Chulia Street
from USD 62.00
from USD 62.00
from USD 83.08
More Info
All reviews street food little india love lane wanton mee lok lok night hawker stalls antique shops hawker food fruit juice wontons satay lor bak kailan backpackers georgetown carnarvon penang
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 June 2019 via mobile

I walked the entire stretch of this street publicised as famous for its wall murals but went away a tad disappointed. Maybe I was expecting too much especially since I know that Malaysian art is rather well known. I saw no more than two murals.... Sad.

But there were other interesting photo opportunities and of course, food. Very good duck porridge set at RM16!

2  Thank DrTChongSG
Reviewed 5 June 2019 via mobile

This old street has wonderful food where you can pick up a different dish for breakfast lunch and dinner every day.
There's also plenty of traders during the day with reasonably priced clothes, costume jewellery etc. Also plenty of hotels, cheap and not so cheap, different places of worship,old Penang style buildings, usual mix of Chinese, Indian etc.

Reviewed 1 June 2019 via mobile

This street reminds me of old Little India of Singapore. The lovely colours of the flowers being sold at the corner shop, the vivid colours or the textile shops... all so typical of what south Asians celebrate - colours and fragrance! Nice! You can also see the multiracial and multi religious nature of the place - the presence of Chinese Temples, Mosques, Indian Temples, all coexisting peacefully within close proximity. Charming!

Reviewed 31 May 2019

As mentioned - The food truck is located somewhere in Chulia Street.

Here goes the terrible experience I had with this "HAI", I went alone and ordered the food, found a table and waited, the table next to me left after 5 minutes, four guests came and ordered. 5 minutes later, another table left 3 guests came and so on and another table with new guests.

Waited for 15 minutes, the 4 guests next to me, their orders came, 5 minutes later the 3 guests then another 5 minutes the next guests. I was thinking may be they have forgotten my order but i was pretty sure that they were not, the plump short lady with specs (sorry...just can forget the way she treated me) who took my order looked at me few times, seemed like they were discussing something.

The first thing in my mind was those with more guests who they could make more money, thus serve them 1st, since i was alone then the money is less. I was so exasperated and went over to ask why other guests were served 1st, the short plump lady with specs (sorry again) did not apologize and ask me "if still i wanted the food", they will make it for me immediately, waited for at least 25 minutes with this attitude....what would you do?....I left.

Their food is considering good therefore I purposely drove, parked and waited (I do not mind waiting for good food). Penang island is such a good place to visit, I travel a lot and tried many nice food, but this kind of services and the way of treating a guest was totally unacceptable.

The 1st time i went was early, thus less guests and waited for just 5 minutes. But the idea of serving more quests 1st instead of less, really disgusting and been disdained.

Date of experience: May 2019
1  Thank welsel
Reviewed 30 May 2019

We spent ten days in Penang as we love the relaxed vibe of Georgetown and all the wonderful Street art and food and quaint Peranakan buildings. We found ourselves visiting Chulia Street often for a great feed and some interesting shopping at the little Nic nac and cheap clothing stores. Our favourite restaurant was the Chulia Restaurant and Bar, which must be new as doesn’t appear on google maps or on trip Advisor.

Date of experience: May 2019