Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang
Federal Hotel(George Town)
  • Restaurant
Merchant Hotel(George Town)
1,353 results
All reviewsrevolving restaurantrooftop bargrand deluxe roomred gardencheong fatt tze mansionwalking distancesea viewtaxi standnon smokingblue mansionswimming poolbuffet breakfast isrooms are bigstandard roomeastern oriental hotelpleasant stayfamily room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Stayed in Bayview City (that's how they call this hotel to differentiate it with another Bayview Beach in Batu Ferringhi) for 3 nights and found my stay quite enjoyable. It's strategically located, just within walking distance from the Georgetown historical landmarks. Staying here, I took the luxury to enjoy taking a stroll around to find local attractions, including nearby restaurants and hawker center.

The staff are efficient and friendly, quick but keeping smiling faces.

Stayed in the Grand Deluxe Suite, and I found the room pretty spacious to really accommodate my needs as I was staying by myself on business trip. They provide the basic memory pillow in the room, which was nice. House keeping was not an issue at all, they were meticulous.

Two things I dreaded for the room was that their international cable channels was limited, no CNN or HBO, and the some of the local channels are pretty fuzzy too. The other thing is that I kept losing the Wi-Fi signal in the room! I would type away and when I push "send email" button, the connection was just gone. I must have really harassed the front desk agents asking them to fix the internet connection, by calling them close to 10 times during my stay. But I wish Bayview would improve this, internet is significant for travelers on business trips.

Restaurant was just OK. Also friendly waiters and servers. I noticed during breakfast that there are a wide variety of guests in the hotel, from family, backpacker young adults with shorts and even boring business people like me. This justifies that Bayview gives good values for different kind of trips.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Your positive ratings of the hotel, our staff and services are most appreciated. We have taken note of your comments over the internet connection. We are hoping to get a new supplier very soon once their service is made available to us and this will certainly improve the overall internet service in the hotel. Once again, thank you and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang soon.

Reviewed 18 October 2012

This is a modern hotel, quite unlike the many boutique hotels in conservation shop-houses in a World Heritage Site like Georgetown. It is multi-storey, has modern amenties and is well located to popular destinations in Georgetown like the Blue Mansion, Khoo Kongsi, Pinang Peranakan Musuem and Jalan Penang. We were well received at the airport by their airport transfer service and were surprised to learn on arrival that we had been upgraded. We discovered why when we went to the room - it was a twin-bedded room and not a double-bedded room, despite our early booking and room confirmation. They had run out of such non-smoking rooms! To be fair, the room was spacious and had almost all that you would want. There is free internet in the hotel but it is not stable and connection breaks often - I discovered later that all of Penang is supposed to be wifi-free but am unable to confirm that this is indeed the case. Although the hotel is well run, there is room for improvement and that must come top-down in terms of setting service standards. We returned the first morning that we were there to discover that our room was unmade despite us having left at 8.30 am and returned at 1.30 pm. Somewhere, the process had broken down. Staff in the hotel were generally very business like and that is another area that can be improved upon. People in Penang are known to be very hospitable but that did not come across. Staff just need to invest a little time in being warm and cheerful and asking about the well-being of their guests. Only the concierge staff made some attempt to be friendly. The morning breakfasts in their coffee-house were good but one suspects that there would be limited variety if one stayed long. We didn't get to try the revolving restaurant on the roof but the promotions looked very interesting. I wouldn't mind staying there again if I return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ar_sgp
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang. We sincerely apologize for not being able to accommodate your request for a double bedded room on non-smoking floor on your date of arrival. We have also taken note of your comments over the internet connection which is something that is really way beyond our control. We are hoping to get a new supplier very soon once their service is made available to us and this will certainly improve the overall internet service in the hotel. We regret that your room was not made up upon your return in the afternoon. We strive to make up all rooms as early as possible but at times we are faced with challenges in early arrivals. Nevertheless all rooms are made up by 3.00pm daily. Once again, thank you very much for your feedback as this helps us to further improve on our services and we certainly look forward to your return visit to Penang.

Reviewed 16 October 2012

The location of the hotel is superb. We were given room on 7th floor The people are very friendly, We got our room changed to get a sea view room and the staff was very cooperative.the buffet breakfast was excellent

Room Tip: sea facing
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sandeepmota
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

The staff at the reception were very friendly and approachable. In addition, the room was very clean, nice and spacious. This hotel is strategically located. I will certainly stay in this hotel again when back in Penang Georgetown.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Constance T
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. Your positive ratings of the hotel, our staff and services are most appreciated. It was a pleasure to have been of service to you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Reviewed 10 October 2012

I stayed for 2 nights on 7th September to 9th September 2012, I was here to meet my friends who has an international event hosted in this hotel. It was located at Penang road, few famous Penang food such as Teochew Cendul and Mamak stall is located around this area. Further more significant shopping mall likes 1st Avenue and Pragin mall could reach within 20 minutes walk journey.The best part is we hangout the night at Mois club and it is besides the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.