Open today: 8:00 am - 9:00 pm
Review Highlights
Excellent tour and guide!

Reviewed 13 February 2019

from USD 62.00
from USD 80.00
from USD 11.34
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 February 2019 via mobile

Victor was an excellent guide and ensured my family and I had a memorable and unique time in Penang. Victor is very knowledgeable and personable, and he put together a bespoke tour for us. We ‘went off the beaten track’ and saw a unique side of Penang that most tourists would miss. I definitely recommend ‘Penang Insights’ and I’m looking forward to coming back and trying one of Victor’s cooking classes in the future.

Date of experience: February 2019
PenangInsights, Owner at Uniquely Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2019

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your review and recommendation. I had so much fun hosting you and your family. Your willingness to try and experience new things in Penang made our day trip so much more special and fun.

It would be a pleasure of mine to see you all again in Penang!

All the best.

Reviewed 31 January 2019

Victor provided an excellent and fun evening food tour. He was very happy to tailor the tour to what my wife and I were after. He took us to places that we otherwise would not have visited. Highly recommended! Holly and Tony.

Date of experience: December 2018
PenangInsights, Owner at Uniquely Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2019

Dear Holly and Tony,

I am very glad to hear that you had a wonderful time where you got to try some local Penang food at a night market and a couple of other places we visited. Thanks for the review and recommendation. :-)

Reviewed 29 January 2019

Me and my friends had such a great day with Victor, we were so glad we booked the class and spent the rest of our trip in Malaysia recommending it to other people!

Victor met us at the market for us to choose some ingredients for our cooking class and try some different Malaysian breakfast dishes. He checked with us along the way that we were happy with what he planned to teach us in the class and taught us more about local produce as we walked round.

Once we got back to Victor's beautiful (and spotless!) apartment, we started the cooking. We chose to make the dishes together and took it in turns to to do different tasks. Along the way, Victor talked to us about where we might find the ingredients in the UK and why we were using certain methods. I loved the variation in the dishes we made; - Victor even decided to add in an additional chicken dish as we bought so much(!). It all tasted amazing and I'm really looking forward to trying the recipes at home.

Victor is really the reason to book the class, he was so friendly and welcoming - he even took us to see the fishing boats by the national park before he drove us back into central Penang (giving us Penang Insights caps because he couldn't believe we hadn't brought anything to protect us from the sun). He also gave us some really great advice on where to go in Penang as we ate lunch - I can see why people have enjoyed the sight seeing trips he organises! Definitely my favourite cooking class I've ever done.

Date of experience: January 2019
PenangInsights, Owner at Uniquely Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2019

Dear Lorna,

Thank you for your detail review and referral to your friends back home in UK.

It was an absolute pleasure having you, Lisa and John on the 19th Jan for my cooking class and it was great fun watching all 3 of you preparing and cooking the dishes as I guided you along. The keenness in each of you to learn, to share and having fun together among friends makes me happy that I've delivered as your host. The best part is when we sat down and ate your beautifully cooked dishes.

Thanks for helping me washed the dishes which you didn't have to. :-)

Amazing teamwork, guys!

Reviewed 28 January 2019 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from a fantastic morning at Victor’s cooking class. We were collected promptly from our hotel and taken to the local wet market were Victor bought the fresh ingredients we would need to make our dishes as well as a coffee and traditional Malaysian breakfast (all in the price). Victor was very informative and explained all about the different ingredients and answered all off our questions before driving us to his beautiful home. We were provided with “Penang Insights” aprons which we were able to keep before preparing 3 separate dishes, one fish, one chicken and one pork before sitting and eating with Victor. This has been a lovely morning made even more memorable by Victor’s cheery personality. I would recommend this to any foodies but bring with you a healthy appetite! Well done Victor

Dear Mark,

Thanks for the review and recommendation.

It was nice meeting you and your wife and given the opportunity to host your cooking class on the 28th Jan. I am so glad that I got to introduce you to your first taste of Penang famous "char koay teow" at our local market.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday vacation in Penang.

Reviewed 28 January 2019 via mobile

Just got back from victors cooking experience and had a most wonderful time. Victor took us around the local wet market and then bought us a selection of the local breakfast specialities. Victor was very informative and answered our many questions. We then went back to his lovely home to cook up three separate dishes.
We learned about the paste created for the fresh Curry’s , one chicken using coconut milk and the other sweet/ sour using tamarind. In addition a vegetable and pork dish. Unfortunately our appetite did not do justice to the amazing food but Victor gifted us the aprons and recipes along with many tips so we could ( at least attempt) to re create at home. A most enjoyable day, Victor made us feel very relaxed and at home and was very amusing and informed. A delightfully time and I would highly recommend to anyone who has even the most modest interest in food.

Dear Dawn,

Thanks for your prompt review and recommendation.

It was lovely to meet you and your cheeky husband. You know what I mean. I am glad to know that you both had a great time and experience sampling Penang food. We had so much leftovers that I had to share with my mother and sister. :-)

Wishing you both a great time and experience in Penang for the remaining week of your stay here.