We booked after reading other views and weren't disappointed.
It's a lovely old building, has lots of character and is in an excellent location. Reception checked is in quickly, showed us around the place and then to our room.
The room was very basic but was clean and had air con. One slight downside was not having windows in the room we had. The shared shower and toilet area was kept spotless and the communal lounge area was very cosy and a good place to mingle with other guests. There were also a couple of PC's with free internet access.
Recommend booking this place in advance as it was fully booked when we were there and lots of walk-ups were being turned away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Old Penang Guesthouse is a beautifully restored pre-war building in the historic city of Penang, Malaysia and still retains much of its old world charm. It is believed to have been constructed more than 80 years ago. It is especially important as an example of a very early shop house prototype. From the original mosaic-tiled flooring, intricate artwork, inner courtyard and to wooden shuttered windows, every aspect echoes the history of the region, and offers a beguiling journey through this enchanting heritage. It is a best accommodation for travelers who seeking for budget heritage stay. The design integrates old with new, modern with historic, ensuring that the total experience is one that is authentic, honouring the past while bringing every modern convenience to bear. Let's explore the heritage and find your old time memory here! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Old Penang Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Penang Guesthouse Hotel Georgetown
- Old Penang Guesthouse George Town