“Ala-Carte Japanese Buffet”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Since it’s a buffet type deal of restaurant, as far as the quality goes, it’s actually pretty good! The selections were plenty though it’d be nice to add in some sort of seasonal menu & such in order to prevent it from being overly mundane. On a side note, the staffs were quite attentive and catered to every request that we had when we dined in. As for the price, personally I think it’s definitely worth the value considering it’s eat all you can, with that being said, it’s wise not to waste any food as the restaurant has a policy against it, in which you’d be charged for not finishing the food you order.

Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

I visited this place back in few years ago, everything is so horrible that I don't even bother to do a review. Now, seeing at least some positive reviews on this place have urged me to visit again. Reservation service, meh, the phone operator barely explain anything, not even the price per pax. Now at RM76 +- per pax, I would have higher expectation. The service of staffs is friendly but since they are foreigners, I found hard to communicate when they don't understand both English and Malay, being helpful but misunderstanding and wrong orders happened. Food is standard, not too bad, not heavenly good either, they need to add in more choice, the menus used to be thick and now it's barely a few pages. There are sushis and some cold plates available, also dessert like cakes, pudding, ice creams, panna cotta you can take all you want. Though it's already better than the last time, I still hope to see improvements the next time I visit.

Reviewed 17 July 2016 via mobile

My last visit was about a year ago. Food quality dropped. Sashimi,wasabi, salmon weren't fresh. Kimchi too salty,sushi not nice. Fried clam was not cooked. Tempura was fine. The only food I love were steamed egg and grilled squid. Service was good despite the usher at the counter was a bit rude. RM 76 nett per pax, honestly I don't think it worth. I would rather having an authentic and quality Japanese meal in other restaurant than free flow low quality food. However, this could be a good place for gathering.

Food - 3/5
Location & car park - 5/5
Service - 4/5
Price - 3/5
Atmosphere&deco - 4/5

Reviewed 4 April 2016

Well, I try this restaurant few times before in the past on year 2010 & 2012.
Last weekend i went these restaurant not purposely because we went to big bad wolf book fair so I spend my dinner at this restaurant at time square penang.
If compare to previously, few thing been changed:

1. Buffet style changed
2. Food variety - 2
3. Food quality - 2
4. service 2
5. valuable - 2

Nowadays their buffet style been change to order those food from menu 80% compare previously is 50%.
So everything you need to order only can get your food.
Food variety been reduce since their food mostly from their menu and their menu don't have many choice at all.
Previously only few Tao been review by some friend said that their food quality very bad but now i'm so disappointing that time square brand also fall under this category.
Service was definitely poor, their waiter took order from us but didn't help us proceed the order and end up let me wait for half hour but waiting for nothing...
The above situation make me feel like doesn't want to paid them 73 MYR for this kind of service...

Thanks
Ed

1  Thank Edmond_Kooi
Reviewed 3 October 2015

Sadly Tao has dropped in quality over the years. When I first tried in back in 2010, it was awesome.They had way more food in their menu and this particular outlet that opened had a Sashimi Bar. Fast forward to 2015 a lot of items on the menu has disappeared, portion has gotten considerably smaller and the Sashimi Bar is gone. If you're looking for a good Japanese food this is not the place to be