“Lady at the door made our stay!”

Hotel Excelsior Ipoh
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Ipoh
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I agree that the rooms need an update but we were out and about and just needed a comfortable place to sleep. The public areas of this hotel are well-maintained. We enjoyed the band playing one night and the Karaoke place across the street was so packed we couldn't get near it. We were so glad we found the yum-cha restaurant around the back of the hotel. It had been recommended on Trip Advisor (Fook Moon something... sorry didn't write it down). We went back there twice. The very helpful lady who opened the door for us every time we left the hotel and came to open the taxi door and welcome us back when we returned from our sightseeing adventures really made our trip to Ipoh memorable.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 January 2012

Located in the heart of ipoh,it's within waking distance to almost everywhere in city's vicinity, but no grocery store,just small convenience store,taxi is the means to get around (no meter),ipoh is laid back & most shops vlose around 7-8 pm
Room is kind of old but well taken care of,all in all,it's a place worth the price

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 26 January 2012

It costs me abt rm200 for superior room (added 1 mattress + bfast for 3 persons). Not recommended because the hotel is worst than any 3 stars hotels I had stayed in KL before. If i were to rate Syuen hotel & heritage hotel, Ipoh at 80%, then this hotel is only worst 50%.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank awys
Reviewed 9 January 2012

This is at best a fair ho. Given the limited choices in Ipoh, the best thing you can do is to lower your expectations.

First, check in is pretty slow. I arrived at 10 sth am. No room is ready yet. Fair enough, as I was well ahead of the check-in time. When I returned at 7 pm, I was told that my room was still not yet ready.

Everything in hotel is aged. Yet, bigger problems lie in its services. I expected I could hold some workouts in the gym room. Then, I found out that the gym room opens at NOON!!! It is closed on holidays!!!!!!!

The breakfast, as many reviewers said, is terrible. I'd prefer an american/continental breakfast to a buffet.

To be frank, if the gym is closed on holidays, the hotel should be closed as well. Manage your own expectations, if you don't want it to spoil your holiday.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank yc_jeffrey
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I had been staying in that hotel twice in one month, both in superior double room, RM143 per night. Frankly speaking, the hotel was up to the standard- polite and English literated concierge, clean environment, nicely decorated lobby. The room, amenity wise- hot water for shower, bath tub, towers, bed, 16" satellite tv, coffee making, punctual room service, all were there for us. So, that's not too bad for a 3 stars.

One thing on the down side, the hotel's structure itself- the room was old (gloomy might be a more appropriate word), lack of renovation, with a very obvious smell (the kind of old building's smell) in the aircond.

Then, on our second stay middle of December, we got three rooms for our family, two superiors and one deluxe (becouse no more superior left). Then, we realized that the deluxe room, which my brother had stayed, with RM158 per night, was really a complete make over room- newly renovated with brand new flat screen, well designed furniture and bathroom, wooden flooring, sufficient lighting, and free internet connection.

The hotel is near to many major eateries and food shops, such as the bean sprout chicken rice, dimsum, and Ipoh toufu fah are just nearby within the walking distance from the hotel. Ipoh Parade is just four blocks away. It is around 1.5 km away from the old town and the railway station. So, the location wise, excellent!

So, my personal advice, if you wish to stay in the hotel, why not just add another RM15 to go for deluxe? If you wish to read more about my trip to Ipoh, please visit my blog at:

Room Tip: Get the deluxe for best value of money!