“One of the best places to stay in Taman Negara/ Kuala Tahan”

Han Rainforest Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Jerantut
Tromso, Norway
“One of the best places to stay in Taman Negara/ Kuala Tahan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

We stayed in this resort for 3 nights.

It's not fair to compare this resort to the fancy hotels in KL or Langkawi, because the over all standard in Kuala Tahan is quite low. Compared to the other options for lodging, the Rainforest Resort will be one of the best places to stay in Kuala Tahan/ Taman Negara. The room was big and clean (we had a deluxe room), dinner was good at the hotel, but the breakfast we'd rather eat on one of the floating restaurants. (Too many bugs at the juice station). The aircondition worked perfectly, and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

While staying in Taman Negara/ Kuala Tahan we did 4 guided trips and a little exploring on our own. In retrospect we'd like one or two more days to walk in the jungle by our selves.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AgnetheSolberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

No matter where you are in Taman Negara, actually, without the park a horrible place to be, you will not find a really comfortable spot, even if they are trying to rebuild the village, but it is quite a poor area. Also looks as if they cannot get one thing done properly and on time. First we booked at Persona Village Resort, which suddenly got cancelled due to a new owner (this was in our favour, because this place was far, far away from the actual park and thanks to the people of HAN travel we found out!), and therefore we had to find new accommodation on the spot, and since the Woodland Resort was full, Rainforest Resort was just a little further away, down the same road... it is very basic, it is fairly clean, dinner we had okay, breakfast just poor, we were glad we stayed at TN for just two nights, so we had one full day in the park. I guess you have to be a biology teacher or a Grizzly Jones Bear Adams kinda guy/girl to truly enjoy this, but if you are thinking of going to TN, it takes just one day to do it all, then move on to the Camerons, also do-able in one day, and then try Penang, Georgetown, Langkawi or vist Melaka (the latter, also one day is enough!). Why do they call these places a resort? A holiday camp would be a more suitable approach. Not that bad, but certainly not great!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cloudnr9

Travellers are raving about these Jerantut hotels

The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

The hotel (don't really know what a resort is supposed to be btw) is a bit out of the village, which is good, so it's very quiet. You can walk there in under 10 minutes, but the hotel-van is complimentary. If 10 minutes is troo much for you, what are you doing in Taman Negara anyhow. The only better option is staying in the Mutiara Resort just inside the park, but that wil be at least three times more costly.
Breakfast was late one morning, but acceptable by Malaysian standards (just the normal mihoon, egg, toast and fruitsalad spread). We ate dinner at the riverside boat restaurants in Kuala Tahan, who are pretty interchangeble serving all the westeners favourites.
We paid 275 MYR for a family suite (basically 2 large connecting rooms) which was an excellent price given the quality. Staff is cheerfull and service is OK.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Hansje
Copenhagen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

its dirty food is not good but after a day in the jungle you can eat almost anything. Rooms are not attractive -- we booked de luxe rooms - we never found the lux in our room.

Also this place is on the wrong site of the river. Taman Negara is on the toher site and there are several resorts that should be a lot a lot better...

Aircon not working very well...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

I arrived on 10 June to the Rainforest Resort, located in the very small town (or better a larger village) Kuala Tahan. The hotel is composed of long rows of small one - room houses, having a glass-door on one side leading to your own terrace, with chairs , where you can enjoy your morning coffee. A clean room, clean bedsheets , clean bathroom and clean towels. Except some small ants and lilliputian spiders which comes from outside, form the garden, for which it is good to have some proper spray. I used the Raid and not a single insect ever entered my room in the 2 nights i stood there.The room has 2 beds, a double one and a single one, so I suppose the room can accommodate up to 3 persons. Room is equipped with TV, fridge and I found 2 glasses of water when I entered the room (why not bottles...? - but this is of less importance as you can buy from their shop and it is cheap). The price per night here is also a very good one - I paid for the room for 2 nights only 390 ringgit. The room is large, so you don't bang your legs around all kind of furniture. Actually the rooms are perfect located for a great escape into the nature. The river is at about 10-15 minute walk. The restaurant provides a good breakfast and also you can find for lunch and dinner tasty and very cheap food. Staff is friendly. You will be requested to pay for your accommodation at check-in (who knows, maybe some are running away without paying...). But you need to have enough money changed there for your stay because there is no bank, no ATM and no taxis. Where could taxis go there... So if you intend to get out of Kuala Tahan and you are not driving your car, it is a real problem, because, if you don't like to take the bus to Jerantut and from there to continue somehow your journey, you are completely at the hand of Rainforest's travel desk. And that Mr. Azmadi from the travel desk will charge you enormous for a travel to Terengganu, as I had it planed. Even if , at the time of booking, I was given a price of 950 ringgit for a car to take me out to Terengganu state, Mr. Azmadi charged 1000 ringgit for a 5 hours travel by a car, which I suppose, belonged to some private company in Jerantut. So the place is better for people driving themselves a car. But at least it was a good driver, even if at Kemamam he had some problems with the car and we stopped at a service for 2 hours, after which my Chinese driver went to call a taxi for me to reach my final destination. But it happens. Also, I bought at the same travel desk a visit to the Orang Asli village on the Tembeling river, for 80 ringgit. But, later when I did a tour to the floating restaurants on the river, I got another information. That from there I could have arranged the trip for 40 ringgit. So my advice is first to check at the floating restaurant before booking a tour at the Rainforest's travel desk. But anyway, don't miss a visit to the Orang Asli. It is very interesting and the journey with the speedboat is wonderful (except that they are bringing 2 boats close to wet the people - so take a plastic bag with you to protect your pass, money and camera from the water - I knew about this and I was equipped adequately).
A problem is the phone connection. There is no phone in the rooms, so you cant call anybody, except if you ask them at the front desk - they are helpful. You can be called but it is difficult to get the connection. They have an inter-phone on the corridor where they call you if you receive a phone call, but never the connection worked there. So another advice for one touring Malaysia for one month as I did: get a Malaysian SIM card for your mobile, because even the mobile is not covered in all parts of the country, mostly after passing mountains to the East coast and you are "cut from the world".
All at one, I liked my stay at this hotel, and even was sad that I had to leave after only 2 nights. The nature around and along the river is so beautiful, and I relaxed and slept very good in my room. I recommend it to all traveling to Taman Negara.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Rose-Gul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jerantut
47.0 km away
47.0 km away
Nusa Holiday Villa
Nusa Holiday Villa
#5 of 7 in Kuala Tahan

Been to Han Rainforest Resort? Share your experiences!