“Trip to Koh Lip”
Review of Langkawi Ferry

Langkawi Ferry
Ranked #74 of 106 things to do in Langkawi
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We took the ferry to Koh Lip from Langkawi. I was really ceptic as I don't like travelling by boat but it was ok. I would do it again as it is the easier way to get to Koh Lip.

All reviews
"rm70"
in 6 reviews
"jacket"

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Unless you have an innate fear of flying don’t bother. It’s more expensive than flying. It takes longer than flying.
No outside decking and windows you can’t see out if highlight how I can’t seem to find any positives.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Boy, I wish we had flown instead, even if the overall journey would have taken longer and cost lots more.
We round tripped using this ferry service Georgetown to Kuah then return 4 days later.
The good point - the ferry was on time in both directions. Left on time and took 3 hours there (stopped at another island on the way out), 2 hrs 45 mins on the way back.
Bad points
- heaven forbid there should ever be an accident on these boats. Crammed in like sardines, luggage everywhere including in front of the exit doors and in the aisles. Not convinced there were sufficient life jackets. Only showed emergency video, without sound, on the way back. Emergency exit windows - wouldn't want to be tackling those fasteners in a hurry
- air conditioning. On the way out it was set to cold cold. On the way back it was set to blast freezer. Very unpleasant.
- movie. On the way out a very violent and gory WW11 film, on the way back a very violent and gory Asian film followed by a joke of an Indian film. Who's choosing these? Jeez there were children on board
- toilets. ...don't go there. No, really, DON'T GO!
- noise. I said NOISE!!!
As I said at the beginning, wish we had flown

4  Thank PipPaul W
Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

I know that this is the Penang to Butterworth ferry site but there are no sites that I can easily find for the Penang to Langkawi Ferry Service ...... so this review is the Langkawi Route.

My wife and I looked at both flying and the ferry from Penang to Langkawi ..... the Fast Ferry (3 hours) was RM$70 each and Air Asia RM$98 each and given that we have been flying around the place we thought that we would take the ferry and spend the morning gazing at the sea and islands whizzing past. Big mistake.

On the fast ferry there are three compartments - a back bit (that we were in) and two front bits (an upper and lower section). There are no windows because all have been blacked out so you can see nothing as you whiz along. I joked with one of the baggage piler-uppers (to call the management of the bags “handling” would be too kind) that it was just like being in a coffin ...... with a straight face he said “I suppose so”. There are two rows of 5 seats across the boat and although the seats are comfortable you are packed in with very, very little room. We were next to the “window” and you could see nothing at all out of it and there was no way that we would crawl across three other passengers to go to the loo. Once you are in you stay in.

They showed two movies - Despicable Me Something and Cars Something so pretty good for all ages. The ferry left dead on time and arrived exactly 3 hours later with one stop on the way to let some passengers off.

The luggage is just heaped up by the door - we were OK as our bag was pretty heavy so it was just lying mulch where we left it, but we left one poor girl looking at a pile of luggage wondering if her rucksack was at the bottom or someone had already nicked it and was already legging it down the platform.

My verdict: it is cramped, hot and pretty uncomfortable and there is not a chance in hell of anyone getting out alive if something happens to to the boat. But it is cheap, the seats are OK and it runs on time. But for an extra RM$30 or £8 ....... get the plane. Seriously though ....... download the Air Asia App and just fly..........

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews i was dreading the journey. But it wasn't too bad! I think the variation in experience is because several ferry companies provide this service all with different standards and types of boat. We travelled with superfast ferry at 8.30am on a calm sunny day. We bought our tickets from their office near the ferry terminal a couple of days in advance. Check in at 7.30am was smooth. As previous reviewers have noted luggage is piled in the centre of the boat, spilling out onto the walkways. We had an allocated seat but could move once we had left port. The air-con was very cold so wrap up warm. Jouney was quite "bouncy" so take a sea sickness pill if you don't travel well.
So all in all not a bad trip as long as the waters are calm.

3  Thank sfm98765