“Penang to Langkawi”

Langkawi Ferry
Ranked #38 of 94 things to do in Langkawi
Reviewed 27 September 2016

Penang to Langkawi

It was almost comical. I have read the reviews online before I did this journey, I thought they were exaggerated stories. How bad can a 3 hour ferry journey be?

Firstly I wasn’t ill but I would have been in a small percentage (less than 20% that weren’t). I knew something was up when we were ushered to our seats in the hull of the ferry with no fresh air or window we could see out of. I then noticed that every pole between the rows of seats had wads of sick bags tied to them.

Within 10 minutes of the journey it all started. Frantic hands grabbing piles of sick bags followed by a simultaneous (almost rehearsed) outcry of vomiting. As one stopped the other started (almost poetic in some strange way). The wife was next. We darted to the rear of the ferry, navigating our way past/over green complexion bodies to locate the only two toilets on-board. This is where we remained for the remainder of the journey. Between tying granny knots in my wife’s freshly filled sick bags I was thriving in my new role as toilet attendant, one in one out, dozens of passengers trying to ignore my new found critical role and firm universal hand signals of hold, wait, someone is in there or ok you’re next but let them out the toilet first. I was excelling in my role and felt I could not leave this post without good reason.

Sadly the dark unlit toilets were not fairing as well as I was, they were filling fast, the vomiting in some instances had compromised some passengers rationale as some decided to even lay on the long drop toilet floor hugging the shallow toilet bowl hoping for a miracle.

I had to keep things moving, sorry but in this situation being covered in vomit and now faeces is no excuse to hold up this conveyer belt of awaiting vomiters ‘Your times up, ship out old mate.’

2.5 hours of performing my duty come to an end. Relief washed the faces of many particularly the long suffering partners of those vomiters. I was ecstatic.

Now it was time to check in to our 5 star resort looking like we were portraying Jim Carrey’s 1994 award winning performance in the movie The Mask.

In short. Take the aeroplane

Regards,

9  Thank Knight356

Reviewed 25 September 2016

3 hours as a mode of transport from Penang to Langkawi. Very choppy and can't see out of the windows but a cheap mode of transport and they put a film on and provide sick bags. You are below deck so not that pleasant and three hours more than enough would rather fly from Penang next time. The harbour is well organized but getting large suitcases on and off the boat a nuisance although the crew help.

2  Thank Honesty183
Reviewed 24 September 2016

Very tiring trip. I don't reccomend it especially when you have kids. I would take a plane to Langkawi which is much easier and a little more expensive.
They make you wait about an hour and a half before you get on the ferry and it's not comfortable at all. You can't even enjoy the view because of the low windows.

3  Thank Jinno123
Reviewed 22 September 2016 via mobile

Got the ferry from Penang to Langkawi, 3 hour journey, seats were relatively comfortable, however when the crew hand out sick bags 10 minutes in you know you're in for a good time. At least 70% of passengers were throwing up and the sounds and smells were unbearable, the sea was a little rough but I've seen far worse! I spent 2/3 of the journey outside to get out of the way which helped a lot! I would highly recommend flying between these islands, the flights are pretty much the same price if not cheaper!

1  Thank Cl D
Reviewed 22 September 2016

as above. But no other choice if u are taking ferry across. The crew (some) male unhelpful, rather unpleasant and rude while 'ordering' instead of facilitating passengers in loading and arranging their luggages into the designated luggage area. Do not know how to educate people to be more courteous as it reflects badly on the people of this country.

2  Thank vogue_baba