Review Highlights
Unlike Anything Else You Will See In Japan

You need to pick the time of the day which is around the change of the tides but the vision of the... read more

Reviewed 21 October 2016
Oldjack
Greater Melbourne, Australia
They closed the bridge on us

The day we tried to visit the bridge, it was overcast and seemed alright in the town area. When we... read more

Reviewed 9 May 2016
DYA717
Honolulu

Recommended experiences in and around Shikoku
from USD 225.00
More Info
from USD 4,230.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 September 2015

Is a MUST try experience. Can't imagine the wonder of nature can create such unique amazing whirl pool. It was a remarkable trip.

Date of experience: May 2015
Reviewed 12 September 2015

The whirlpools are best viewed at high or low tide which varies daily. You view the rushing water and whirlpools from the Onaruto bridge which is 450 meters above the water. The rushing water is definitely impressive and the viewing is good from the glassed or open viewing points and also through the glass sections in the floor. It is not for people who dislike heights or the vibrations of the bridge as traffic passes overhead.

Date of experience: September 2015
1  Thank Oldjack
Reviewed 9 September 2015

I have been to Naruto many times, and have yet to see the giant whirlpools featured in advertisements. However, the tide formations are very fascinating, making swirls and ripples that are rather hypnotic to watch. It is fun to go out in a boat to see them, though there are wonderful views from the bridge and viewpoint as well. It is a good place to learn about tidal action and understand some of the dynamics of the Inland Sea. It is possible to see the whirlpools without paying any entry fees, though if you visit, it is worth checking out the viewing platforms under the bridge, which charge an admission.

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank Lara N
Reviewed 30 August 2015 via mobile

The first thing that hits you when you get close to the viewing site is how windy it is there...so very windy...breathtakingly so...literally.

It's a few minutes walk along the pedestrian platform under the bridge (links Shikoku to Awaji island) until you get to the best spots to watch the waves and they are quite a sight from directly above. I couldn't summon up the courage to go on one of the boats that go right upto the whirlpools, but I reckon it's probably a better view, if not as exciting as being on a boat.

The website will tell you what time high tide is (twice a day)...it's usually possible to see the whirlpools for 2 hours either side of high tide.

I came by car with friends, but it is possible to do easily by train from Takamatsu or Tokushima.

On my visit it was all Japanese people except for me and the people who worked there were so pleased to see me (and practise their English) I was given free entry and a souvenir postcard :-)

For me, it was a great experience to see something unlike anything else I'd ever seen...even if I did look rather dishevelled when I left.

Date of experience: August 2015
Reviewed 13 August 2015 via mobile

We went out on the viewing platform under the bridge to see the whirlpools created with the change of tide and currents but there was not much whirling going on at the time and on the day we went. But I could see that at other times it could be quite impressive. There were boat trips out to where it was happening but I was glad to be on the glass underpass under the bridge with the see through floor. There was interesting material to read on the way but there was no need to stay too long.

Date of experience: May 2015