“Beatiful patterns”

Reviewed 9 September 2015

I have been to Naruto many times, and have yet to see the giant whirlpools featured in advertisements. However, the tide formations are very fascinating, making swirls and ripples that are rather hypnotic to watch. It is fun to go out in a boat to see them, though there are wonderful views from the bridge and viewpoint as well. It is a good place to learn about tidal action and understand some of the dynamics of the Inland Sea. It is possible to see the whirlpools without paying any entry fees, though if you visit, it is worth checking out the viewing platforms under the bridge, which charge an admission.

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank Lara N

Reviewed 30 August 2015 via mobile

The first thing that hits you when you get close to the viewing site is how windy it is there...so very windy...breathtakingly so...literally.

It's a few minutes walk along the pedestrian platform under the bridge (links Shikoku to Awaji island) until you get to the best spots to watch the waves and they are quite a sight from directly above. I couldn't summon up the courage to go on one of the boats that go right upto the whirlpools, but I reckon it's probably a better view, if not as exciting as being on a boat.

The website will tell you what time high tide is (twice a day)...it's usually possible to see the whirlpools for 2 hours either side of high tide.

I came by car with friends, but it is possible to do easily by train from Takamatsu or Tokushima.

On my visit it was all Japanese people except for me and the people who worked there were so pleased to see me (and practise their English) I was given free entry and a souvenir postcard :-)

For me, it was a great experience to see something unlike anything else I'd ever seen...even if I did look rather dishevelled when I left.

Date of experience: August 2015
Reviewed 13 August 2015 via mobile

We went out on the viewing platform under the bridge to see the whirlpools created with the change of tide and currents but there was not much whirling going on at the time and on the day we went. But I could see that at other times it could be quite impressive. There were boat trips out to where it was happening but I was glad to be on the glass underpass under the bridge with the see through floor. There was interesting material to read on the way but there was no need to stay too long.

Date of experience: May 2015
Reviewed 25 June 2015

We watched the whirlpools at spring tide. As this was the first whirlpool we had seen it was interesting to view, however during our visit the waves did not swirl as circular as shown on the brochures. Despite this, it was still great opportunity to take photos. We parked our car near the top of the bridge for 420 yen & walked to 2 lookouts. There are a few souvenir shops near one of the lookouts, where we tried sweet potato soft serve. There is also a museum which you can view the whirlpools from a glass deck under the bridge for an entrance fee.

Date of experience: June 2015