All reviews aqua garden bowling alley buffet dinner wave pool light show shuttle bus japanese resort huge hotel game center great onsen mountain side water show outdoor water nice resort hotel buildings entertainment resort beppu station
Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

We stayed at the Suginoi for several nights in early July 2016, during a family tour of Kyushu. Had a fantastic stay.

The Suginoi is perched on the side of a hill on the southern side of Beppu, and our room had excellent views of the town and the thousands of thermal steam vents for which it is known.

We chose the Japanese style tatami room, and the whole family bunked down together.

The onsen was beautiful and had outside bathing with partial views of the ocean.

Food: Suginoi does a sensational buffet breakfast. We ate one night at the attached Italian restaurant, Azzurri, which was extremely good (I can recommend the surprisingly very tasty sea urchin creamy spaghetti). We also had a Kaiseki meal in the Japanese restaurant one night, which was delicious but challenging for our kids, even our well-travelled older ones.

A note for the cycling tragics amongst us: I had my road bike posted down to the Suginoi by Sagawa Transport, and spent a couple of very happy mornings turning myself inside out on the hills around Beppu. I mapped out a 55km loop which took in the local villages of Yufuin and Onoya. 1400m of climbing. Max 14% grade. Fabulous scenery and descents. World class riding. So good, I did it twice.

Incidentally, I recommend the village of Yufuin for a day trip. There ain't that much to do in Beppu itself.

The service at Suginoi was fantastic. English levels weren't high, but there was plenty of goodwill and effort. They happily stored my bike in the cloakroom and helped me to package it up and send it on at the end of my stay.

Prices were very reasonable.

Overall, I strongly, highly recommend the Suginoi.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Andy M
Reviewed 28 June 2016

Booked directly with the hotel for 2 nights. We were going to be in japan for a couple of weeks and we wanted to take a night or two to relax and enjoy the hot springs. Prior to booking I had read the reviews on tripadvisor, so I knew what to expect.

Booking is interesting, you register first, then you pick your hotel option. There was many options and combinations to choose from, its not all clear, so I had to email the hotel a few times. English wasn't great, but again expected.

We booked the A100, included shuttle bus, round trip, which included dinner and breakfast, non smoking, western style mountain view room (22sqm). The rooms are nice, the bathroom was okay, but the room is nice, the view from the room was alright, I saw mountains and a parking lot, but there was lots of decorations and lights at night. The shuttle to the hotel and back was easy to find and it was a nice ride.

At the hotel, it was a tad disorganized, no one really knows where to go but we were able to make our way to the desk, get our details and head to our room. Our package included breakfast and dinner, both are buffets and are at the seeds room. The decor isn't nice, I'd suggest you book a room/meal combination which includes World Dining Ceada Palace. I am going to assume the food is exactly the same. You definitely can eat a lot, i would say everything ranged from alright to good. When you are in japan, you meet a lot of polite and kind people, at the hotel you meet a lot of non Japanese people who are definitely not polite lol.

anyways, we selected the hotel for its hot springs and to relax, and we did. We took time to enjoy the pool and hot springs, and spend some time off our feet.

I would suggest you try the buffet one night and eat at the other restaurants. We ate at Ristorante Azzurri twice (lunch and dinner) and both times were amazing. Real nice treat.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2016

This is going to be a bit of a long review because the hotel is sort of special, like a resort. We also spent a lot of time at the hotel enjoying the different attractions.

We decided to stay here for one night to enjoy our daughter's birthday a bit early. We booked a special, upgraded room, the Hermitage Room, facing the Ocean, which has a beautiful view (see the photos). The room is very comfortable, large, open area, and has a nice feel. The floor was quite scuffed up from all the foot traffic and baggage wheels. It was a bit of an eye sore, but nothing really to be done with it since it is a popular hotel.

The staff service was hit or miss. It seems the hotel must have a lot of turnover because a lot of staff were new, with the 3 color mark on their badge. It almost seemed like those staff didn't know much about how the hotel works or even some basic customers service. When we checked in, the new staff member took our name and led us to the check in area. While walking there, I was helping another person who couldn't speak Japanese ask a question to the staff member. Somehow the staff member confused our names and then assumed that the other person was checking in under our name. One occasion, we watched a new staff member stand around while two people (clearly from the wedding party), were waiting to check their bags for the day. A more senior staff member had to tell her to go help. In another case, I went to pick up my bag from the coat check and the staff had no idea what to do with my token. She had to ask a senior staff what she should do before getting my bag.
I realize that new staff members may not know the ropes yet, but having so many new staff members really creates a problem because it seems like everyone is a bit incompetent.

On the other hand, there are some really great staff members as well. Usually, the foreign students who are working are quite good. They are attentive, seem to work hard, and all of them speak English plus a few other languages. They were helpful on more than one occasion, and it is a good thing for the hotel.

The outdoor onsen, Tanayu, is very nice and large. It has a lot of space to enjoy and the view is quite nice. It has an "edgeless" feel because the water goes right up to the end and you look out over the city of Beppu. The sauna is also quite nice and hot. The dressing area and such is all very adequate. The way you have to change your shoes in one area, then change your slippers in another (keeping them in a plastic bag), all was a bit confusing and strange. This could be and should be a bit more streamlined.

The AquaGarden was quite nice, but gets crowded so quickly. There are just a lot of people there and so, it isn't quite as enjoyable as I would like. We rented an inflatable tube for my daughter, and it was less than 500 yen. She enjoyed the pool much more with the tube. The depth is about 1 meter and with all the people, it might be harder for younger swimmers or smaller kids who are not yet comfortable in the water.

There is a new Kids Play area that costs 600 yen for 30 minutes. It is pretty great for the kids and has a lot of fun activities in the area. My kids played in there twice over the two days and really get out a lot of energy. Between the several slides, the climbing areas, the swings, and the trampoline, there really is a lot of fun to be had in there. This also gets crowded, but the 30 minute time limit keeps it reasonable.

We had a 30 minute leg massage at the Body Recess, and it was quite good. It is the one next to the bowling alley. It is a little cheaper than the other one and was quite a good massage.

Finally, we had the buffet food twice, once for dinner and once for breakfast. I would say the food is pretty fun, though may not be the healthiest or most natural/organic food collection. They had things like steak, sushi, sashimi, Chinese food, and rice dishes. Those were relatively good and common. They also had foie gras, which I really enjoyed. They had a nice bouillabaisse with a lot of crab, shrimp, mussels, clams, etc. They might have had a few other interesting items I am missing. Overall, it was a lot of fun, but not necessarily healthy.

The breakfast was a bit crazy. It seems that it gets really crowded at opening, so I would avoid it next time at the early hour. It might be better to wait a bit. The food itself was not great. I had an omelette that was clearly made from mass bought egg mix, with mass bought cheap cheese and ham, etc. It just wasn't very good. Mostly, the best thing about breakfast is the coffee and the fruit. Other than that, it is sort of standard affair that you might not miss much.

Overall, I would say it is a fun hotel for families. IT can get a bit crowded, and the staff can be a hit or miss event. It is good for a one or two night stay, but I wouldn't stay much longer. I also recommend the nicer more expensive room if you want to avoid the noisier groups in the main parts of the hotel. Just walking through the hallways made us really glad we didn't stay in them.

Room Tip: Hermitage Room with an ocean view is going to be your best room to avoid noise and crowds.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Steven R
Reviewed 8 April 2016 via mobile

This is the newest of the two hotels at Suginoi Palace. Book a room on a higher floor for amazing views of the town and Beppu bay. In the morning you can see the steam rising from all of the vents in town. Amazing buffet has many asian choices as well as western. Shuttle busses will take you anywhere on the expansive property. Great for families.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Counterfeiter
Reviewed 6 April 2016

Fantastic and beautiful hotel - you could easily spend a day here! The building(s) are massive and has a bowling alley, arcade, shopping centre, onsen and outdoor heated swimming pool. I went with my mum and 23-yr-old sister and we had a wonderfully relaxed time, but it was also a popular place for families. Staff were very friendly and spoke some English. Only downside was the distance from the city centre but if you're prepared to wait for the regular shuttle bus that's not such an issue.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family