Nara Hotel
USD 86
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 101/night.

USD 141
USD 95
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 106/night.

USD 185
Savings alert! 32% below average rates

The price you found is 32% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 272/night.

USD 216
Mikasa(Nara)
USD 289
USD 164
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 203/night.

USD 68
  • Breakfast included
Nara Royal Hotel(Nara)(Great Value!)
USD 81
Rakuten Travel
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 99/night.

USD 633
Guest House Nara Komachi(Nara)(Great Value!)
All reviewsnew winghigh ceilingsold worldold buildinghistorical hotelmain buildingjapanese restaurantclassic hotelgrand hoteldalai lamathe main dining roomgrand damehotel drivewaywell trained staffalbert einsteinbreakfast is servedexpensive hotel
Reviewed 4 May 2012

The Nara is in a great location to see all the sights of Nara. It is even walking distance from the train station if you don't mind a long walk. I stayed with a friend of mine in a smallish room with 2 double beds squeezed into it. The weather was cool and raining so the heating was on and the pipes were banging a bit. My room mate was up in the night trying to figure the noise out. She has lived primarily in warm climates so had never experienced heating pipes making their noise.

I had the western breakfast one morning. It was fine and served on lovely china. Due to the high cost we did not eat any other meals here.

The location is the best part of this lovely old hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carol S
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We recently stayed at this landmark hotel in Nara, Japan. We stayed in the old wing, which is charming. The staff are very courteous, helpful and accommodating. The room is pleasant and comfortable with adequate storage, tv, and other amenities. The breakfast can be expensive, so we opted to order the western selections from the menu, french toast and cinnamon toast to die for! Highly recommend the hotel as a famous icon of the area, although somewhat pricey a couple of nights are worth the money!

Room Tip: Drink lattes and coffees downtown - they can be very pricey- up to 1150 JPN each!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2012

So, they totally screwed up my room reservation. They lost it in fact. The guy at the checkin was about to give me a hard time...until I SHOWED him the confirmation email from THEIR website. And then he had me led to a room in the "new building" requiring an elevator that took me DOWN to level minus 4 (or 5?), and to round it off...they took me to a bloody smoking room! I almost flipped out.

So...now you're thinking "sure Chris, so why would you give them a 5 star rating after all that?"

In a word: the manager. In a near boil, I seethed my way back to reception and firmly listed my complaints: booked on the "old historic building", non-smoking, courtyard view. I work in the industry, and could see they were overbooked and had lost my confirmation some how. I asked him to fix the problem.

And boy did he fix it! He showed me to the Imperial Suite, which rack-rated at about 20 times my actual room rate. It was a once in a lifetime room experience, with antiques mixed with modern day niceties, and had a sense of time travel about it. Hotel Nara, are you listening? NEVER LOSE THAT MANAGER. With gracious excellence, he defended your reputation as one of the great hotels of Japan. I'll be speaking about the experience for years to come. That man should give a course on how to be a Hotel Hero.

But of course, that wouldn't be enough to completely overcome the near derailment of my vacation train.

The area was beautiful. The staff (excepting the original check-in buffoon) were perfect...I think I sort of fell in love with Mayumi with her perfect recommendations and soft spoken elegance (ask her where to eat, she won't lead you astray), the lounge area with a picture of Einstein playing piano...on the piano where he once played...the place was a stop on Japanese tourists' visit to Nara.

We're not judged by our mistakes, but rather how we correct our mistakes. And the management at the Hotel Nara proved they deserved a 10 out of 5 for accepting their error and seamlessly correcting for it.

Room Tip: Imperial Suite if your trust fund is paying for it;) Otherwise, just make sure you're in the Old building, not the new one...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chris_Sandeman
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Booked a single (all in the new wing ) but very luckily they upgraded me to the old wing. The sense of history was fabulous. Brilliant to be able to wander over to the Deer Park early in the morning; and to see deer just outside my window in the early evening.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank tcyokohama
Reviewed 2 January 2012

The hotel was built in 1904 as the first western style hotel in Nara. Its a nice place ti exoerience tRaditionl Japanese hospitality. Room is comfortable an spacious. A place to go to rest an relax but it's rather pricy. Breakfast was expensive but there was no other choices although nice cafes can be found in 15 minutes walk down the hill from the hotel. Free wireless is available in lobby area.

• Stayed: December 2011