All reviews yamashita park cruise terminal new wing original building general macarthur le normandie historical hotel chinatown station lives up to its name tower room diamond princess osanbashi pier narita airport nice cocktail bar got lucky steeped in history business lounge
Reviewed 16 September 2018

I stay in this hotel for about ten days. Good room, good service. But the breakfast got some problems. First of all the same menu every day. Nothing new in cooked courses. But the last day there were no seat for me in the Normandie Hall for the breakfast. They put me aside waiting too lond. I was forced to go out and eat in a café nearby. Absolutely not accettapble for this category of hosting. I am sorry but that's not a good organizzation. When you are full in house you have to assure the same service level. If you are not able to, there are a lot of other 4stars hotels in Yokohama, with lower prices.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
OnAir760976, マネージャー at Hotel New Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2018

Dear Mr. GianlucaFloris,
Thank you very much for staying at Hotel New Grand.
We deeply apologize for the discomfort you experienced at the restaurant.
Your candid comment is greatly appreciated and passed on to the relevant section as we always aim to provide the best possible service to our guests.
Any feedback, regardless of good or bad, is taken considered very seriously and we will undertake any necessary measure to fulfill our goal which is to provide the most comfortable stay to our guests at Hotel New Grand.
If you could give us another chance, we hope to see you again on your future trip to Japan in the near future.

Reviewed 10 September 2018

‘The Grand’ is an imposing hotel that lives up to its name in every respect, as well as being extremely convenient for its proximity to the cruise terminal. It was at the Grand that General MacArthur set up his headquarters at the end of the war, requisitioning Suite 316. Seventy-three years on, the Grand provides its guests with the very best of traditional Japanese courtesy with everything one expects of a modern business hotel: comfortable, well designed rooms, fast Wi-Fi, 24-hour room service, and employees for whom serving the customer seems to be a life mission. At 8pm on a Sunday night I asked if a linen jacket could be pressed for the following morning. An hour later it was returned to my room. My five-day stay here in 2018 coincided with the July heat wave when the temperature topped 43C so I can also vouch for the Grand’s life-saving air-conditioning system.
There are several restaurants and lounges but the jewel in the Grand’s crown is the international ‘Le Normandie’ on the fifth floor, with panoramic views of the harbour. Designed and furnished in the style of the luxury French liner of the same name, Le Normandie serves an international buffet breakfast and buffet lunch. At night, dinner is a more formal affair – dress code for men is jackets, ties optional – with a fine a la carte menu and sophisticated wine list. I ate the best sirloin steak of my life here, so tender and full of flavour that I didn’t flinch when I converted the bill from Yen to US dollars: $80 and worth every cent.
The Japanese are so courteous that I sometimes worry that I haven’t been understood. I had a very early checkout and the young woman on reception obviously detected my anxiety that everything should go like clockwork. Five minutes later, a beautifully hand-written note was delivered to my room, confirming the arrangements.
“Good evening, Mr Ward. Thank you for staying with us. We will give you a wake up call at 5.30am and our porter will visit you at 5.45 to assist with your luggage. If you need further help, please feel free to contact me. Thank you.” No wonder the Japanese trains run on time.

Room tip: Ask for a room with a view of the harbour
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
OnAir760976, マネージャー at Hotel New Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2018

Dear Mr. Ward,
We appreciate for choosing to stay at Hotel New grand and for taking your precious time to write us your feedback.
I passed on your comment to our staff concerned during your stay and they were so delighted to learn your kind words as they are making all their efforts every day to provide the memorable experience to our guests as well as all other staff in our hotel.
Our French restaurant “le Normandie” welcomes the guests with our traditional French cuisine using finest ingredients from home and abroad.
Next time you visit our hotel, we would like you to try our consommé soup.
This rich, thick, golden liquid is made out of recipe passed down from generation to generation taking 3 days to prepare using shank of home grown beef. We believe the dish of soup full of nutrition and savoriness will soothe your soul especially when you have travel fatigue.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 31 August 2018

We stayed at the New Grand Hotel before our Holland American cruise from Yokohama to Vancouver. The location is convenient and close to the cruise port (easy walk).
The room was clean. We spent 6 nights there and used the hotel as a base to explore the area around Yokohama and Tokyo. The hotel staff were very friendly, professional and helpful. I would certainly stay there again.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
宿 泊, マネージャー at Hotel New Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

We thank you very much for choosing Hotel New Grand for your pre-cruise stay and taking your time to post your review.
We are especially delighted to learn your kind comment about our staff. We are also pleased to know that you enjoyed Yokohama and Tokyo. We will be happy to assist you to find some other places to explore next time you come back to our hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

It was not the first time I stayed in this hotel...My mistake was to give a second chance.
It’s a very old hotel, nothing special, very old style too and not a good condition of furniture, wallpaper, etc.
Even the non smoking rooms smells cigarette.
The service is far to be special, in Japan I could give a 4 in a scale of 10.
Only advantage is the location. But you can find better options around too.
The price is super high, by the quality offered.
Not recommend, and please Hotel New Grand, think about renewing this place!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Luciana V
宿 泊, マネージャー at Hotel New Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2018

We appreciate you for choosing to stay at Hotel New Grand and for taking your valuable time to give us a candid feedback about your stay.
Please accept our sincere apology that we did not meet your expectations.
However our tower building guestrooms are now under gradual refurbishment, we acknowledge that we need to keep our maintenance and necessary restoration without any hesitation and unnecessary wait.
We would like to confirm the parts which need to be repaired, but unfortunately we are unable to identify the room you stayed.
If you could give us a third chance and contact us on our email info@hotel-newgrand.co.jp we would very much appreciate it and so it will give us an opportunity to hear from you in detail.
We would like your permission to post our message here and appreciate your kind understanding.

Reviewed 4 August 2018

This hotel is beautiful, the people are exceptionally helpful and go above and beyond to make sure your stay is perfect, it’s lovely and close to Chinatown and the Osanbashi Pier where the Diamond Princess is docking now as I write this review for cruising Japan... you’ll not regret this hotel for choice!

Room tip: Our room was a corner and king size with fabulous views over the harbour
Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
宿 泊, マネージャー at Hotel New Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2018

We thank you for choosing Hotel New Grand for pre-cruise stay and for taking your valuable time to post your kind feedback toward us.
It is such a delightful experience for us to welcome you.
We hope to see you again in the near future wishing you the best luck on your cruise and many happy travels around the world.