“Traditional inn with luxury touches”
Review of Hakone Ginyu

Hakone Ginyu
Reviewed 30 November 2016

We arrived at Ginyu and were disappointed to find that there had been a mix up with our room booking made 6 months before, specifically for a Western style room and bed, which could not be resolved as they were full. We had to take a Japanese style room but after this disappointing start, the experience improved quickly. We had a traditional duplex room with a futon and an outdoor shower and hot tub. The futon was elevated slightly - getting onto a futon at our age is easy, getting up however is more of a challenge, but an extra mattress helped! The 2 level room was big, well furnished and very relaxing.

Breakfast and dinner were served in our own upstairs room which we enjoyed after the hustle and bustle of Tokyo. The food was beautifully presented with numerous courses and the overall quantity more than adequate even if you didn't fancy some of the options. A detailed printed menu made it easy to identify foods new to us.The staff throughout were very pleasant and helpful, particularly the lady who served all our meals.

The private hot tub on our balcony was an amazing experience especially early in the morning overlooking a lovely valley - we were in a corner room on the fourth floor and had a terrific view.

The location was great with the local switchback train station a very short walk away and a bus stop outside which made exploring the Hakone area very easy.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors, especially corner rooms, have better views of the valley
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter B
There are newer reviews for Hakone Ginyu

Reviewed 29 November 2016 via mobile

A luxurious ryokan with a great natural onsen (we had a fantastic one on the lower floor in the terrace,) at the expense of the view) and delightful views over the mountains from the top (lobby level).
The food as in all Ryokan is typically Japanese and presented with great style in precious crockery. I would particularly note the sashimi (with lobster on one day) and the roast beef done with vegetable cooked just right. In fact it seems no expense is spared on the food with expensive ingredients and a enormous array of dishes.
The initial feeling however was of annoyance when we had to wait quite a time before checking in and were told of the various house rules. ONE free drink between 4 and 6 (small beer, mango or another juice), and then experience the bar where there are two beautiful aquariums and lovely views but had an extremely small glass of white wine (for a standard ¥900) and peanuts (¥300). There is a clear note in the information folder that an additional charge would be made if any beverage is brought into the room.
So in summary, a delightful place with very pleasant and efficient service slightly marred by a perceived rigidity on small things in particular the way the bar is managed.

Stayed: November 2016
4  Thank BrigitteM21
Reviewed 28 November 2016

It was my family's first stay at Hakone ginyu and we had a great time. We were with 3 year old very active boy but the staff were very nice to him.
Some people say that this hotel got worse than before but as for me, it is still a very good hotel to experiance a luxurious stay in Hakone. Each room has its own open air bath and view from it is just amazing. There is no house nor car noise. I have stayed many onsen hotels in Japan and this one has so private atmosphere. I recommend you choose Japanese style breakfast since Europena style looks like the same as the one served at a usual hotel in Japan.
Dinner menu is so plenty so I could not finish it.
I would definitely come back here again with my family.
雪のため、宮ノ下で電車が止まり、当日電話で予約をしました。2階の紫雲という部屋に泊まりましたが、家族全員宿からの眺めに満足でした(日ごろは九州の温泉宿に行き、自然の眺めについては慣れていますが雪の箱根は別格でした)。部屋の風呂からは一般の家も騒音もなく(となりの部屋は仕方ないですが)とても開放的でした。夜ごはんは、味は私はあまりうるさくないのでわかりませんが私は満足、量は十分でした。朝食は日本食をお勧めします。洋食はいたって普通でした。子連れでも安心の宿なのでまた行きたいです。

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank hoko45
Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

My wife and I went to stay a night at the hoshi room on 28th of October

We were wowed away by the wonderful scenery and the Japanese style room with tatami flooring

The food was good, and we received warm hospitality from the staff

The private onsen is amazing

Talking about warm hospitality received, my wife informed them that it was our wedding anniversary, and they gave us a surprise at the pub, and a thoughtful gift was given to us by the owner.
That's not all, the staff assisting us were so nice.
They were so kind to guide us how to get around in Hakone(even going the extra mile to accompany us to the bus stop!), and ensured that we didn't get lost by giving us detailed information.

I regretted not getting the names of the staff who assisted us.

Both my wife and I had a really memorable trip to Hakone, all thanks to Hakone Ginyu and their wonderful staff
Big thanks to them!

Stayed: October 2016
1  Thank 176darylj
Reviewed 25 October 2016

While searching for ryokan in Hakone, I came across Hakone Ginyu in one of the ryokan websites. At first I was confused why this was so hard to book as I could not get two consecutive nights here in the middle of October with no public holidays at the time. As curiosity got the best of me I decided to stay here for a night even though I was in Hakone for two nights.

I was positively amazed. The ryokan does not have a glamour entrance nor was it along the main road going up the hill. It was rather tucked away in a small street and down next to the main road mid way up the mountains. You arrive at the entrance and is soon greeted by the hotel staff. You instantly feel the warmth of the ryokan as you walk into the main entrance. The light was warm and the ambience soothing, you take off your shoes right at the entrance while the hotel staff greets you with welcome drinks and a comfortable area while they take you through the check in process and prepares your room. The lobby where you check in offers fantastic mountain view of Hakone to the backside. The light autumn breeze on the terrace was already very relaxing. Soon enough we were brought to our rooms where we have booked for a Japanese tatami room on the first floor with an outdoor bath. The rooms were very traditional Japanese with futons and dim lighting.

Just after the entrance to the room to the right is where the living room and the tatami beds would be prepared. Next to it and connected by Japanese style sliding doors is the dining room where our meals for the night are served and the bathroom. I especially liked the dining room area as it gives you privacy within your room and less hassle about getting to a seperate dining area outside the room. Dinner was served there at around 7PM where hotel staff would come in and serve their seasonal menu. The food was great and more than enough. While you relax inside the dining room with amazing food, you can also enjoy the view from the dining room where you can also enter into your own private garden with a lounge chair and the outdoor bath.

The room offers one bath that is outside in the garden area and also an indoor one. The ryokan offers all required amenities and the entire experience was both relaxing and memorable.

I would definitely come back here again.

Stayed: October 2016