Agoda.com
No fees just great deals
Lol.travel
Vio.com
MichelleAppleby
Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Lovely quaint place - would stay again

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 26 Sept 2018via mobile
My family of 2 adults and 2 children (6 and 9 years old) stayed for one night at this hotel. It was an old but lovely place set amongst green trees and peace and quiet. The decor and appearance was a bit dated but it was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. Check in was fine as they had a staff member who spoke reasonably good English. When I later spoke to another staff member who didn’t speak good English (while looking for a hairdryer), he still did his best to try and answer my question. The Japanese politeness was definitely evident.

We had a room with 2 single beds and 2 futons. The rooms were quite spacious. The hotel offered to put the futons out while we had dinner. When we returned, they hadn’t been done yet so I went to reception and asked for their help. By the time I had walked up three flights of stairs to my room (choosing not to take the elevator), housekeeping were already there, setting out the futon.

We chose half board and enjoyed an 8 or 9 course dinner. When I made the reservation, I said that my husband doesn’t eat seafood and they replaced all his seafood courses with other options. The breakfast buffet had a good range of food on offer.

We visited the onsen twice while there. Having never been to an onsen before, I can’t compare it with anything else but we all enjoyed the experience. There is only one outdoor onsen so it alternates between males and females (eg the females had it fir the afternoon and the males the next morning while we were there). I really enjoyed the outdoor onsen.

The hotel provides Yukatas that you may west around the hotel. We weren’t given any info on how to wear them (or we overlooked it) and so I would suggest googling “how to wear a yukata”. Because we didn’t and I’ve since found out that I wore it the wrong way! (Apparently it’s left side over the right side).

There are some complimentary toiletries in the room. The onsen also has toiletries. The room has a small clothes drying rack, hot water urn and tea making facilities.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel and would stay again.

Tip: take the RIGHT exit from the cable car, otherwise you’ll be on the wrong side of the platform and there’s no way to cross the track. To get to the hotel, walk down the road to the end, where there is a T junction. Turn right and continue walking for about 100-150m and the hotel is on your left. If you reach the Hyatt Regency, then you’ve walked too far.
Date of stay: September 2018
The Japanese-Western Style Room with Open Air Bath at the Mizu no To
    AU$457
1.7 km from Hotel Green Plaza Gora
Restaurant
Room with open air bath (SUISAI)
    AU$245
5.6 km from Hotel Green Plaza Gora
  • ZenHotels.com
    AU$285
6.7 km from Hotel Green Plaza Gora
View more hotels in Hakone-machi
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 June 2018

Great location away from it all up a mountain. You can have a truly Japanese experience here if you go for the Dinner Bed and Breakfast Rate but be warned, this is hardcore Japanese food and some Westerns will find it hard to eerrrrr appreciate. The food keeps coming and it is 5 Star presentation all the way. Very traditional Japanese. You will be wearing the house provided 'Kimono' to dinner if it takes your fancy. Most people did. The location is superb in the dense woodland of the mountainside and it's only a short taxi to the cable car. The staff here are superb. They speak little English. Probably because they are Japanese so why should they. If necessary they will bring up a translator online. I have to say I was taken unwell whilst staying here and they could not have been more helpful and considerate. When I returned from my unplanned visit to hospital they allowed me to stay late in the room to get some rest, no problem. Great Onsen here and you really feel like you are immersed whilst only being a 3 minute taxi from the railway station costing only a couple of dollars. They also have a shuttle you can book. Thanks to all the very helpful staff at the hotel. Your kindness was much appreciated.

Room tip: Ask for Japanese Beds. the western ones are singles and kinda blow that aspect of the experience.
1  Thank tonyonatrip
Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

This lovely little hotel may be a little outdated, and in peak times overpriced (but as is everything else in the area) but it’s a great representation of Japanese hospitality. The dinner is very memorable (make sure you like seafood and sashimi), and we found the room comfortable. The staff speak limited English but are very helpful.

Date of stay: May 2018
1  Thank sydneyIA
Reviewed 13 May 2018

Expensive for what the place offered but not bad for a ryokan. It was a bit of a last minute booking and not too many places left given the season. It is outdated but on the positive side, it adds to the "local" experience.

We arrived about an hour before check-in and instead of letting us occupy the room, they preferred to have us waiting around.

Another complaint was the fact that our room was never done. It was skipped two days in a row. The fact that we had to go to reception each day to request fresh towels is what made it a huge miss for us.

Outside onsen (hot spring) was small but very relaxing and the yukatan (Japanese robe) the hotel provided were well appreciated.

Last but not least, make sure you like seafood. If seafood is not your forte, make sure to let them know at check-in so that they can carter to your allergies/palette. Almost every course has some element of seafood incorporated.

Reviewed 10 May 2018

Large room compared to Japan standarts.Comfortable separate beds,super clean.Good location on right hand side of railway funicular.The price included perfect breakfast and delicious dinner.Very lovely outdoor onsen.Good value for money,recommend.

Reviewed 28 April 2018

There are 2 Green Plaza hotels in the Hakone area. This is the Gora Green Plaza hotel.
Front office staff were excellent even with limited english knowledge. I really enjoyed the ryokan style bedroom with tatami mats an futon beds and the yutaka dresses which we wore while in the hotel. This was my first onsen experience and I enjoyed it (specially the outdoor onsen). Though we only booked breakfast at first, we decided to have dinner in the hotel restaurant as well, which turned out to be great decision, with a number of lovely japanese dishes included in the set menu.
Reaching the hotel from Kami Gora cable car station is a down hill walk, but we ended up taking a taxi to Gora station as we did not want to pull all our lugguage up the hill to Kami Gora. The hotel has a free shuttle service to Gora twice a day at set times though.

• Trip type: Travelled with family