USD 224
USD 305
USD 136
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 161/night.

USD 196
USD 91
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 115/night.

USD 111
USD 62
Rakuten Travel
Savings alert! 44% below average rates

The price you found is 44% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 111/night.

USD 199
Rakuten Travel
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 251/night.

USD 358
HotelsClick
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
1,693 results
All reviewsla vistatop floorsashimired brickfree popsiclesjapanese stylecoffee beansjr stationlong linebreakfast buffetgreat onsendairy productsquality and quantitysmall sofaconditioner and shower geloutdoor onsensalmon
Reviewed 14 July 2016

Stayed there 1 night and I was happy it was only 1 night. We had a deluxe triple room with 2 large twins (close to double size), tub and shower in one enclosure, tatami sitting area, a tiny wet bar area, and a view of the red brick warehouses. The room size is about 37 sqm, being one of the biggest available other than a suite per their brochure. Most of the hotel rooms run from less 20 sqm to about 25sqm. So unless you specifically book a deluxe triple room or higher (even for single or occupancy), do not expect a lot of space.

Service was very average at all levels with limited English spoken. At check-in, I was told there would be additional bedding in the TV cabinet since there were 3 of us. Didn't dawn on me then he meant we would have to move the table and seats in the tatami area to set up for the 3rd person for the night. We'd stayed in a triple room with tatami before on this trip but this was the first time we were asked to do that ourselves.

The room decor meant to exude a nostalgic feel, I think. Yet with chipped corners and dark wood paneling, it looked dated rather. The vanity had a double-knob wet bar faucet (not suitable for the use because hard to turn with soapy, wet hands) whereas the wet bar was installed with a single lever vanity faucet. (I know the difference because of work.) There's free wifi at the lobby only.

Their breakfast has been rated as one of Japan's best. I think it's mainly due to the availability of a good spread of Japanese breakfast items including raw fish to make your own seafood rice bowl. The western food selection was just ok and I personally liked the breakfast buffet better at our hotel in Lake Toya with more variety and very fresh produce. The worst part was the queue time. The hotel was hosting a number of tour groups with a lot of local seniors staying there at the time. We arrived at 6:40 just to find a very, very long line and had to wait 40 minutes to get seated. When we left after 8am, things had gotten a lot better with only several people waiting. Maybe all the tours had to go to breakfast early that day.

The bar/lounge on the 12th floor imposes a 500 JPY pp cover charge though the drinks were ok. You'd get the same view from the sitting area on the top floor next to the spa where you'd find free popsicles.

I agree with another reviewer that the rooftop spa/onsen seemed somewhat unclean and neglected. It was the most crowded public spa I experienced on this Hokkaido trip. So I waited till after 11pm to go. There were a number of patrons including a group of 5 or 6 young Japanese women chatting in one of the indoor hot pools with 2 toddlers crying along. I wasn't sure about the rules, but usually public onsens do have age restrictions. With that kind of water temperature, it didn't surprise me the toddlers would be crying! Later, these women also filled up the 6-seat vanity/hairdressing area. They did not have the hotel towels with them and would leave in street clothes and backpacks, unlike most other guests at that hour who would be wearing the hotel-provided jinbei. I'm fine with sharing facilities with fellow patrons as a public area is meant for that. My concern however is the security at this hotel. The elevators do not have access control so anyone can go to any floors. We were not asked for breakfast coupons at breakfast, nor did I see any attendant at the onsen/spa. Towels are not provided at the spa. There are baskets in the room, one for each paid guest, with towels inside for guests to take to the spa.

This hotel is well located for tourists being steps away from the Brick warehouses that probably provides the best shopping in Hakodate at the moment. It's an easy 15-minute walk from the morning market and JR station. We could also walk to the Motomachi area and the Ropeway station. (We found out later we could have asked the front desk to arrange for a RT taxi transfer from the hotel to the hilltop Ropeway Station at a reasonable rate to avoid another horrendously long queue for the cable car.) There's an airport shuttle stop nearby (420 JPY pp). We took the taxi to the airport and it cost us about 3000 JPY. Hakodate is an old dame who has seen her glory days in my opinion. Despite our unremarkable experience, I doubt one could find a much nicer hotel in the bay area that is close to most of the so-called tourist attractions in this town at the time. There may be some fine choices in the Yunokawa onsen area, where one would be closer to the airport but farther away from the Bay/town probably requiring more cab rides.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Mars707
Reviewed 10 July 2016 via mobile

Stayed 1 night. Hotel is easily accessible by airport shuttle. Walkable to JR Hakodate station in 15 minutes and hotel does provide free taxi there. The room we booked was deluxe twin room which was sort of semi ryokan - separate WC and bath areas located at a slightly lower floor area as drinks area and cupboard area while the rest of the room was on a slightly higher platform with two tatamis, small sofa and tv. Room was sizeable but felt smaller due to the segmentation by elevation; definitely needs some updating as interiors feels very heavily used. Breakfast was good - big spread and lots of tables, but everyone wakes up early to go for the seafood rice. Didn't use public onsen.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2016

We stayed here for one night in June. The staff was ok, not great. Room is small and the bathroom feels like those on a cruise ship. Good thing we only have one luggage. You will have a hard time if you have a few suitcases. Our room faces Mt. Hakodate so we can sit in the room and enjoy the mountain view and watch the cable cars, but there is only one chair.

The Onsen spa was crowed and facility definitely needs update. We got up early to have the famous breakfast. There was a line already at 7am. Food is good. Excellent seafood and great dairy products. However, we could not see why they are voted second best breakfast in Japan. The variety is just average, not great. I think it is attributed to the good quality seafood.

The hotel provides free taxi to JR station, you just need to make reservation the day before. We are not impressed by the hotel. Breakfast is good but that's all about it. The hotel needs renovation. We will stay at a different place if we ever visit Hakodate again and have breakfast at the morning market.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

Used to be a nice place to stay till several years ago. Great location with cozy rooms and a nice breakfast buffet. But since the hotel started to attract too many guests,which outnumbered the capacity of the facility, this place lost it's charm.
This year, they accidentally cancelled our reservation,and made us wait at the front desk for nearly an hour to find a new room. They made us move to a different (smaller)room the next day without notifying us that they down-graded it. The staff definitely need to be re-educated.

You have to ine up to get into the breakfast area, then again line up at the buffet site. So many people everywhere.

When using the shower at the Onsen spa, there were people standing behind me waiting for their turn. Too many people in the tub and when I bathed, my fingers caught some hair in the hot tub.That happened to my family too.It was just so disgusting that we jumped out of the tub. I told the manager about this episode but he seemed to know about it already and wasn't surprised at all which was my surprise.
If you are looking for a hotel with an Onsen spa in Hakodate, try the Yunokawa area.
I don't know what happened to this hotel but considering the fee and the terrible service, I will never use this place again.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Blue J
Reviewed 28 June 2016

Upon entering the room, we westerners were impressed by the Toto toilet with multiple options and a bathtub outfitted with a Japanese shower, complete with stool and basin. Both were concealed behind sliding doors while a third panel revealed the room: an entry space with a two step walk up to the tatami mat living space. A futon bed of extreme comfort rested in a low bed frame. At the window, one sat on the floor to utilize the desk. We had a view of the Ropeway and ocean, although the immediate view was a parking lot. Breakfast was a huge buffet of unimaginable Japanese offerings. Delicious, mysterious, and very non-Western. Many guests appeared in their onsen Pajamas. The onsen was very attractive, although we did not have the courage to bathe with strangers! We recommend this hotel for a very authentic Japanese hotel experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water or the ropeway.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple