All reviews fresh flowers traditional ryokan japanese culture the river tatami room train station one night james generations samoa alcove feast region bedroom lobby onsen spring
Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

If you come in Japan, you have to choose a Ryokan as accomodation
I found very confortable this Japanese style hotel
You can see the pictures in the website. I found the images realistic.
I had a room with a wonderful sight on the river. I loved to spend time in the hotel

Matsue is a little city, so all it is at walking distance from this hotel

Thank you James for the kind hospitality.
He is the key man in this hotel (at least for people coming from other country).
People working in this hotel are japanese. Typically japanese people are very kind but they don’t speak English. James comes from Samoa, lives in Japan and works in this hotel.
He was waiting for us out of the hotel, when we arrived. During check-in, he offered us a fantastic japanese green tea
He helped me to have an italian breakfast
... and again and again he was always kind and friendly every time
I am happy to met him

I suggest also to have a dinner at the restaurant

If I will come back in Matsue, I am staying in this Ryokan again

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Quintessential Japanese Omotonashi. I booked for one night and stayed for three because Junko, James and the staff made me feel so welcome and taken care of!

This ryokan is now being run by the sixth generation of the family. The traditional Tatami rooms are large with expansive views of the River and Oohashi Bridge. Fresh flowers throughout the Ryokan - in the public spaces, hallways and in my room - Tokonoma, the formal display alcove, AND even in my bathroom - were refreshed daily. The 2nd floor restaurant is a real treat. Beautifully designed and built Japanese rock garden, individual seating dining rooms both Japanese and Western each with their own entrance.

Junk upgraded me to a top floor Tatami room and James gave me thoughtful historical, cultural and travel info and ideas.

I would like to bring my parents to Oohashikan next year, and have James show us around the region and get us access to the many special makers, farmers, etc Junko and James are friendly with

I will be back!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 22 April 2018

The Ohashikan hotel is a comfortable 20 room Ryokan with a great location on the Ohahi river, between the JR station (15 minutes walk) and the castle district (10 minutes walk).

But what really made the Ohashikan stand out during our 5 days in Matsue has the manager James. He helped us in every conceivable way from checking us in, helping us order dinner at the nearby yakitori bar, driving us around the sites, and making sure we were safe when an 5.6 earthquake hit the town.

As you can imagine from the name, James isn't native Japanese, but has lived there for 16 years after marrying into the family that owns the hotel. Matsue isn't on the main tourist drag, and native english speaking guests are not the norm at the hotel, so I suspect James enjoyed talking with us and sharing a beer, well outside of the normal very formal kindness we have experienced at Japanese hotels. When the earthquake struck in the middle of the night, which James said was the strongest he had experienced in Matsue, and which did indeed frighten us, it was great that he called us up to make sure we were okay and reassure us that there was no danger.

He also runs the catering for the Ryokan and one night we ate in for a Kaiseki style feast that included local delicacies like Black Throat fish grilled whole and the steak the region is famous for, which was some of the best beef I have ever tasted. Basically we agreed on a budget before hand and then he prepared a custom menu for us.

We also had a traditional breakfast every day which was filling, tasty, and served in private rooms looking out over the river.

The bedroom was a spacious 10 tatami room with a smaller carpeted room looking out over the river and onto lake Shinji. We appreciated the tea making facilities. The futons were put out after our arrival and stayed out for the duration of our stay, which we actually really appreciated because we could have a rest in the middle of the day without needing to roll out the futons ourselves. The bathroom and toilet were also separate, and by the time you add in the small lobby it was a really generous space.

The onsen is also fantastic with real thermal water piped in from a nearby spring. Of course there are two baths, one for men and one for women. The larger one could easily host 20 or more people, but we were both generally always alone. They rotated the men's and women's bathrooms a couple of times while we were there.

The staff were all courteous but with variable english. Whenever we had a question they generally found James for us :)

Overall the Ohashikan and James really helped us make the most of our stay in Matsue and we hope we will return one day!

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Douglas A
Reviewed 29 November 2017

This is a traditional ryokan that's been in the same family for many years. The owner is welcoming and provides whatever you could want during your stay. The food is over the top - you'll think you're at a feast. The lobby and the room are beautiful and very comforting and there are fresh flowers everywhere. And the onsen! What a treat to soak after a day out. I can't wait to go back.

Date of stay: November 2017
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed 4 nights in this small and beautifully appointed ryokan overlooking the Ohashi river. James and Junko were exceptional hosts going out of the way to assist us, and share their local knowledge. The food served for breakfast and dinner was fresh, local and presented in the most attractive way. Conversations with James gave us insight into and appreciation of the Japanese culture. We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Ohashikan.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple