All reviews family bath japanese style multi course special experience historical town pricey place amazing food picturesque canal two nights train station located right suite courses banquet luxury sake museum
Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

I enjoyed our stay in this traditional and well-located inn. Lovely room, spotless, well-appointed bathroom and friendly service- they even paid for our taxi back to the train station. I enjoyed the “family” bath (though I noticed some mildew on some tiles); walking past the open front entrance en route seemed awkward however. The dinner was good and beautifully presented, though I would have been fine just having it only one of two nights we stayed. (And though staff asked us what drinks we wanted with dinner, they forget the drinks.

Overall a memorable and happy experience.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2018

Beautiful place offering exquisite hospitality, excellent food, and impeccable service. An inn like no other. Stay a while. We had a beautiful suite furnished in lovely Japanese style, and a multiple course banquet in which the courses told a story about the guests. Located along a canal in the Edo section of town, may interesting walks and sites are bearby.

Room Tip: Our room was the bestm slightly removed from the others, across a tiny courtyard.
Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2018

Agree with all the previous good reviews re service , food etc. This is a pricey place to stay in Kurashiki , but you have the privilege to have the whole canal to yourself in the early morning and late afternoon when all the day-trippers are gone . In the day time, the canal area is just like any busy shopping mall , bustling with people and their selfies. But , when the tourists are gone, one can really experience the magical atmosphere of an ancient old Japanese village-town. We were lucky this time to be able to witness sakura in full-bloom along the canal. A magical experience , indeed .

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Kurashiki is about a 2.5 hr drive from Kansai airport through a series of tunnels. Arrived in the morning and the hotel parking is next to the Rural toys museum. The free tickets from the hotel to see Ohara museum was a good way to start the day in this beautiful little place. I had lunch at Sakurasou/Sakuraso and spent a pleasant day roaming the historical town until it was time to check in.

It was really cold when I checked in and my room/mini apartment (Tatsumi) was not really heated up yet, tried to take a nap but even the bed was still cold despite the heaters all blasting at full force, ended up taking multiple baths ( in room and the family bath which you can book with the staff) and quite enjoyed the traditional meals paired with Kurashiki sake and the fabulous service here.

The ryokan cannot be more centrally located and this old part of town was picture book perfect and absolutely magical especially at night. The ryokan faced the river which has huge koi carps, a few swans and boatmen bringing tourists up and down the pristine canal. My only regret was not staying an extra night and I’d love to come back during warmer days !

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 December 2017

For the third time I have stayed at this Ryokan and again it dod not fail to deliver. Simply lovely with great staff and an amazing standard of service with NOTHING being too much for them. We booked 6 months out to ensure we got the same room we normally have and arranged to have a private hot bath. This is a rather pricey place to stay but one that is well worth it. I cannot recommend this Ryokan more highly.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple