“Nice hotel but pity about the check in”

Kurashiki Royal Art Hotel
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The Nikko is in a great location and if you get a high level floor, there are terrific views over the town and the valley.
We arrived from Okayama, which is a 20 minute train ride, so I knew that we would be very early, which I alerted them to by email. The response was that check in time was 3 pm but they would let us in at noon, if the room was ready. As it turned out, we got here at 10 am and it was pouring with rain. The receptionist checked us in and was about to hand over the key, when her colleague recognised our name and said that there would be an extra 15,000 yen charge if we checked in early.
I told her that I understood that we were early but it was too wet to leave our bags there and walk around. She went to speak to the manager, who spoke to us and indicated that he had to go higher up to discuss the issue. Eventually, he relented and gave us the key, which we were grateful for.
Not a good start.
However, it got better from then on. This is a nice hotel.
My only negative is that the 2 restaurants are far too formal and expensive and my feelings are obviously shared by others, because we were the only diners . I don't understand why Japanese hotels insist on running dead restaurants which no one wants to eat in.

Room Tip: Go for a top floor room.We had a corner one which was better still.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is located about 10 minutes walk from Kurashiki Station and just a block away from the famous Bikan Historical Quarter, very convenient location for sightseeing.

このホテルは、倉敷駅から徒歩約10分、美観地区の入り口近くの便利な所にあります。

The hotel looks nice from the outside, the lobby area is not spacious because of the big elevator in the middle of the floor. There is a not so spacious breakfast area near the elevator. The room key is an actual key, not a plastic swipe card. So you should leave your key at the front desk when you go out during the day.

外観は良いのですが、ロビーがある1階は真ん中にエレベーターがあることもあり、あまり広くありません。エレベーターの近くには、あまり広くない朝食をとる場所もあります。鍵は、昔ながらの鍵、カード式ではありません。出かける際には、フロントに預ける必要があります。

The staff at the front desk was not so efficient at the check-out, but they tried to find a good place for dinner and called a restaurant to see if they have seats available though I did not ask them to do so.

チェックアウト時のフロントのスタッフは、対応は余りテキパキしておらず、時間が掛かりましたが、夜、レストランを探す際、オススメの所に空きがあるか、お願いしても無いのに電話で確認してくれて、とても助かりました。

The room is relatively spacious, with a flat screen TV on top of the drawer. The room looked clean and tidy when I entered, but I found the carpet is really dirty that made me feel bad.

部屋は比較的広く、液晶テレビがあります。部屋に入った際には、きれいな部屋だと思いましたが、カーペットの汚れがひどく、とても不快な気分になりました。

The bathroom is also spacious with a big bathtub. There is a separate shower room next to the bathtub. The bathroom looks gorgeous because of the marble tiles on the wall and the floor, but it was not my taste.

バスも広く、大きなバスタブもあります。別にシャワーブースもついてます。大理石の壁と床で非常にゴージャスな感じですが、私の趣味ではありませんでした。

It was a first time for me to stay in Kurashiki, but I would look for another hotel if I have a chance to stay in Kurashiki. I do not think this hotel is not worth the money.

倉敷での滞在は初めてでしたが、次回は他のホテルを探すと思います。値段的にも他に良いホテルがあると思います。

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Masahisa
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We walked from the station- took about 15 minutes and relatively easy to find. The staff we're welcoming and our room was comfortable, although we found we had large twin beds rather than a queen size - this seems to be not unusual in the smaller places we've stayed so far. We had the breakfast buffet both days which was quite pleasant as well as convenient - and the price was reduced when booked the night before. Try the laundry service - my husband's shirts came back lightly starched and ironed and packed as if brand new - for about Y350 each- bargain! Not too far to the old part of town near the canal. Try to avoid being there on a Monday - all museums are closed in Japan on Mondays, but pretty much all of Kurashiki seemed to be shut that day, however it all came alive on Tuesday!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel in a Japanese style room. The decor was eighties style, and the wallpaper was peeling in the bathroom. They never folded up our futons on the second day, so were were stepping over them. We had the breakfast buffet which was really below average. The walls in the halls were shabby and the dirty awning out front set the tone.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Familyof4CDNS
Reviewed 5 April 2010

I stayed here on business. I was traveling with colleagues, but also with my wife and 4-month old.

The rooms are pretty standard size for a US room (so probably large for Japan) - 2 doubles, desk, and a couple of chairs in the Western style room. The bathroom is pretty large. The staff is friendly and helpful - the cleaning is pretty thorough. The breakfast is good with some Japanese and Western style dishes. There are some consistency issues with some of the hot dishes, generally solid.

The location is great - if a little hard to find the first time. Located off a side street near the historic Bikan District - it is tall enough to be spotted from a distance but not signed very well. 10 minute walk from the train station, less than 5 minutes to the Canal. A couple of great restaurants next door.

Our room was pretty heavily discounted for "3" (they counted my 4-month old as one) and still was expensive - especially for no amenities other than breakfast. If I was paying, I think we would have moved to a nearby hotel. But if you don't mind paying a lot it is a fine place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business