“Fabulous soba experience ”
Review of Nomugi

Nomugi
Ranked #33 of 1,959 Restaurants in Matsumoto
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

We visited Nomugi after reading about it in Lonely Planet and I'm really glad we did. It felt like a very authentic soba shop. They don't speak English but they have a menu/guide to eating soba in English - but we also just watched how the locals did it. The noodles were simple, but delicious. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 19 August 2016

Went there as was recommended in our travel guide. We've been really disappointed with the food quality, bland buckwheat soba, no taste really compared to what we had in Takayama...No interest whatsoever, don't waste your time queuing there...

Reviewed 6 October 2015

A bit hard to tell it's a restaurant, this place is in the Nakamichi District not far from the castle. We recognized the Kanji characters on the building and stepped in. Soba is all they sell and it's delicious. They have a cheat sheet on how-to eat cold soba and enjoy the leftover broth with green tea. Well worth it.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

My friend and I dined here on our day trip to Matsumoto and we both thought it was lovely. The noodles were special and I am very pleased to have experienced them. I had the kake-soba (a hot dish) while my friend had the zaru-soba dish which incidentally is cold - but enjoyable! It think the other English language reviewer may have been correct when they said they weren't in the right mood. I thought the restaurant was charming and not the least but dumpy. The serve size was ample (and I am considered a big eater) and the service wonderful. There was an English language picture guide explaining how to eat the soba which was welcome! The staff were welcoming. It is a small venue but this is Japan! I would go back again and be happy to recommend it to others.

This restaurant was in keeping with what we found Matsumoto to be. Extremely welcoming to tourists and set up to help overcome any language barriers.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, but Nomuga was too precious. The place itself is not particularly attractive (it's dumpy) but that would be ok if the food was great. But it's just a small portion of soba served on a wicker basket. It's not special enough.

1  Thank AnselmoGuy