All reviews lake view room half board breakfast and dinner the bus pond storage trail yen luggage english japan
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Although a small hotel, the family running the hotel could not be more helpful. Lakeside view rooms provide a fabulous vista of the lake and mountains, especially when the trees are changing to autumn colours. Lovely walks to Kamikochi and beyond are easy and memorable.

The hotel provides half board only, and set Japanese meals are provided every evening to hotel guests only. The food was very good as was the service.

A lovely place to stay where you feel very welcome.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jimpat500
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

I am so sad to say that we didn't actually get stay at this hotel. We were booked for two nights during our two week travels through Japan. Unfortunately monsoon rains hit during our travels, canceling all trains that could have gotten us there. We were so disappointed. I am taking the time to still write a review because I have been so impressed with the attention of the staff during our trip planning and attempts to reach the hotel. Both by email and phone the front desk clerk was incredibly responsive and helpful. No question was too minor, and responses were always clear, detailed, and helpful. When I called to inform them of our problems with train cancellations, they offered as many options as they could think of to try to get us there. They even emailed detailed instructions. I couldn't be more grateful for their efforts. Additionally, I was so thankful for their ability to speak flawless English during a time when I was too stressed to use my poor Japanese language skills for any useful communication. I sincerely hope we can visit this hotel the next time we're in Japan.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Mica G
Reviewed 5 August 2017

Yes, it’s pricey but you get what you pay for:
• Staying right in the National Park, with full lake view from the room. Just outside of the hotel are trails to key attractions in Kamikochi. We saw wild monkeys wandering around in our evening walk.
• Dinner & breakfast was included in our package and we were fed way more than we could stomach.
• Our room was not very big. Nor was the décor fancy. But it’s clean & well-furnished.
• Surprisingly, the staff spoke very good English and was very friendly & helpful.
• We particularly like their “concierge service”. At a mere 100 yen per piece, they helped us transport our luggage to Kamikochi Bus Terminal. So, we could pick them up at the storage center (the storage fee for our suitcase of moderate size was 500 yen) at the end of the day after our hike and then took the bus directly from there to our next stop.

True, with such good bus services around the region, it’s not a must to stay a night in the mountain. But doing it allowed us to see Taisho lake at dawn & dusk, when the view was the most gorgeous. We’re glad we did it.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Foot-Soldier-4
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

Well, all the hotels in Kamikochi are overpriced, this one seems a bit reasonable because it has the best lake view. Room are simple and small, don't expect much on breakfast and dinner, then you will find it ok. Must get the lake view room, well worth it. Try to wake up early in the morning to see the breathe taking view.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emmanee9
Reviewed 26 April 2017

I sometimes go to Kamikochi for hiking. Second time in Taishoike since 2009. Same modest ofuro for 2-3 people, same western style rooms, good view from the rooms for Taisho pond (Taishoike). Hotel provides dinner and breakfast at a relatively good value, 12,000 JPY for room and food per night BKF and Dinner. Dinner, however changed since we were here 8 years ago. A lot of things Japanese don't normally eat: sausage, greasy mini sandwich (tapas imitation?). I also see a lot of foreign tourist flowing popular Japanese destinations. And I see it as a new trend from Japanese institutions: to give something to gaijing what they are used to. For me it is a motivation for a further research for placed not available for info in English. I will avoid them.

Room Tip: Choose pong view rooms e.g. 308
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family