“Rude!”

Plat Home Kanazawa Kitchen
Ranked #11 of 3,951 Restaurants in Kanazawa
Price range: USD 0 - USD 45
Description: When reserving by e-mail, Please send us your prefered time, number of people, name, phone number or your hotel name there is a seating charge of 350 yen per person. (this is common for small restaurants and bars in japan, and substitutes for tipping.)
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Made a reservation for 2 people at 17:30 for 2h and came 8 minutes earlier than booked because it was raining cats and dogs and we don't want to be late because of traffic. When we asked about the reservation the waitress could not find it back and kind of reacted clueless, however the guy standing in the open kitchen - probably the owner - knew about our reservation but didn't say anything for 3-4 minutes. I have to many places and restaurants over the whole world but I have never experienced anything like this before - we were asked by the owner to wait outside in the pouring rain until the restaurant was open and I quote his words "as they need to hold a secret meeting in Japanese and can't have outsiders listening".... We indeed left and found another restaurant. The owner needs to understand that the dining experience is not only about food you make but also about service you offer to your customers.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

After being rejected by 2 other well know restaurants in the neighborhood I ended up at Plat, they were pretty full and was ready for another rejection but they made room and set me a sit at the end of the bar. Yeah! The concept is based on tappas but with Japanese cuisine. The decor is Swedish/nordic, the music playing is jazz/blues and the faces are warm and welcoming. If you can I would recommend seatting at the counter especially if it's your first time so you can watch the chef and I assume sous-chef making those incredible dishes. My absolute favorite was the avocado and sashimi tuna with seaweed and the grilled scallops were fantastic. The spanich mackerel and the burduck root with shrimp was also very good. For desert I had the only one they have, the crema which is a cream brulee with a little twist... it's frozen, but oh so delicious with a hit of rum. I'm so glad the first 2 restaurants turned me down, I had a great evening. FYI.... cash only and they have a cover charge of 350 yen pp that includes an appetizer (in Japan they called that an "Otooshi") they also have a one drink minimum. Most dishes will run from 800y to 1400y. Both chefs spoke English fluently, the 2 wait staffs were basic level but enough to communicate. Definitely worth a visit but if you want to make sure to get in, make a reservation.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

This has been the most enjoyable dining experience on this trip to Japan. Good food, great Staff and an awesome Chef.

It all stars Okagawa san (Ponta) and his staff making you feel warm and like a valued guest! That in itself is an art. Then the Japanese inspired fusion dishes are a delight!

Mitch,
Los Angeles

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Amazing food!!! Everything we've tried was absolutely great! The plating is a state of art. The service is very good. The best is to seat on a counter and watch this 2 young and so talented chefs doing their magic!

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Thank you for a fantastic dinner!
Dishes were delicious & creative. Some of the best food we had. (+ extremely good value for money)

Decor & atmosphere were very pleasant.

Best thing was that you could see the chefs prepare everything right in front of you. They explained ingredients as well, which was fascinating.