“Custom Made Quality and Perfection”

Buffalo Leather Shop
Ranked #45 of 442 Shopping in Hoi An
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Beautiful Leather Shop in Hoi An specialising in bespoke shoes, bags and leather jackets. We can make everything from real leather, bespoke designs in 12-24hours.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Whenever I visit Hoi An I always go to Buffalo Leather Shop to have my shoes made. This was my third visit to the shop and this time I provided Binh (the owner) with photos of a casual shoe I had seen in Australia where I wanted them to custom make for me.

The shoes were made with soft suede and leather inners and a hard wearing sole. Extremely happy with the finished product which were perfectly matched to the photos I gave them at the start. The price was also very good.

I certainly recommend everyone visit this shop when in Hoi An as you will always leave most satisfied. They have a vast array of leather jackets, different size bags and handbags through to shoes and sandals.

1  Thank Dingo1964
in 67 reviews
"design"
in 57 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This is the second time to Hoi An and the second d purchase from this lovely lady. The staff are very attentive to your needs and very friendly. The products are of the highest quality.

1  Thank Shaun B
Reviewed 1 April 2018

I came here because I saw good reviews online.

But, I went to several other shops before. Most quoted me a lower price, but were very aggressive, and didn't want to deal with my custom design idea.
I wanted two bags that snap together. The other shops tried to convince me it was too hard, sell me on something different.

When I got here the girl was really nice, and calm and listened to me. She raised the price saying it was very difficult to make, even though I know its just literally a small bag with loops on the back which they already sell similar ones...and a large bag with some flaps and a snap to attach to the loops...pretty darn simple...
but regardless I was willing to pay extra because it was a custom design.
We talked about it, agreed on the price, and I sent her the photos.

That's when everything changed.

Finally, she showed me the lining of the bag. It was a sort of soft almost faux suede but thin more like fabric. The colour was brown, but an ugly brown....at least that was my opinion. I asked if there was another choice ( my bag was suede green....I really thought it would look awful together).

She told me everyone likes this choice.

I said I am so sorry....I know, but I don't like it, I cannot help it.

Then she said " you can go to another shop"...with just the faintest hint of rudeness...

Then she started talking to the other lady in the shop....and I don't speak Vietnamese, but I can tell when I am being spoken about, and when someone is annoyed.

So I tried to fix it, and apologized and said I am sorry I can't help it, it's nice, I personally just don't like it. Can I buy some fabric from somewhere and bring it to you to use?

More talking to the other lady.

Finally " okay but it will cost more".

But I was like why should it cost more? am paying for the liner somewhere else.....and ALSO still paying the same price for the bag WITHOUT the liner now..It didn't make sense.

The she said also she would take me to the shop.....but I just wanted to go by myself....NOPE she wanted to take me. Okay so I agreed, but I didnt want to pay extra...

Anyway I said if I have to buy the fabric AND pay extra it will be to expensive.....price was up to $130 at this point when other shops were quoting $87 at most for a, not as customized version....but very similar. Now I have to pay $130 plus the cost of the liner....it was just too much for a handag ....

When I asked if I could please just pay the agreed upon $110 she just ignored me and started ranting at the other lady....they were obviously super irritated. The girl had gone from sweet and nice to eye rolling and awkward.

We agreed on $120, but then! She wanted me to pay BEFORE going to buy the fabric....and I mean pay in FULL..

So I said...I wanted to make sure there was a lining I liked first...and agian said I could go but it on my own so that I would not have to waste her time.

More of the same...talking to the other lady...getting up....just walking away from me without saying anything....so awkward. Im sitting there not really knowing if she is coming back...or pissed of or what is happening ....

And listen....I get anxiety....I hate shopping and I hate making people mad...especially that.....so by this point I'm sweating and feeling super anxious and awkward...and it was awful....so I just said okay I'm sorry, I did not mean to make you mad....I will go....

Then they were yelling ....and saying we are not mad, let's go to the fabric shop....and I literally ran away....while they yelled after me.

I get that they want to make a quick sale, and not have to deal with to many custom options...but I would prefer if they just said they cannot do it, rather than get upset about it.

Anyway I saw other people getting things there, and the items in the shop looked nice, so it's probably a nice place if you are not too picky or don't have social anxiety! :)

1  Thank Jennyname
Reviewed 31 March 2018

We visited this shop based on trip advisor reviews. We didn't shop around much as the prices they quoted were reasonable for custom made items. (We did find a second leather shop a few days later and found the shoes were much cheaper but did not order the same type of items so not sure if they were comparable.)

The people at the shop were friendly, and not very pushy.

I got a pair of slouchy mid-shin womens boots and my husband got a some ankle boots and a pair of leather jandals. We also had a dog collar and leash made. All together this came to US$295. There was a wide selection of leathers to choose from and they were ready within a day. We requested a change to the dog collar (a bigger clasp, a narrower width) and that was done within a day.

We haven't broken the items in yet but have started! Good service and quality products.

1  Thank teamBCtravellers
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

I bought a travel bag, a washbag and three pairs of shoes here having chosen it based off positive Tripadvisor reviews. The owner, Binh, was honest and fair and helpful. The first price she quoted me was reasonable compared to other places I visited. She didn’t put up the price first and then go through a long bargaining process which was nice. After the first fitting I asked for the stitching to be changed in one pair of shoes and the other two to be tweaked which she did gladly.

I wasn’t happy with the washbag at first (it didn’t have the right compartments) and she was incredible - she scootered me directly to her tailors and asked them to make the changes (for free) as quickly as possible because I was leaving the next day, which they did. Then she took me back via a circuitous route so I could see a bit of the river and countryside. Gold plated customer service!

Would strongly recommend.