“Excellent tailors ”
Review of Miss Forget Me Not

Miss Forget Me Not
Ranked #78 of 450 Shopping in Hoi An
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Great place to go to get a tailored suit. I got a suit and two shirts for a very reasonable price for high quality work.

It is clear that the women working here know exactly what they’re doing and carry out very precise and exact work.

If you don’t know exactly how the process works, don’t worry as the two lady’s will guide you along. They are very friendly and will make sure you’re comfortable.

Highly recommended and would have no hesitation in visiting again.

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"great tailor"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

I went in to have 3 shirts made - they fit perfectly and I couldn't be happier with them. They keep measurements on record so I'll definitely be getting more made in future.
I liked being told to come back (just an hour) later because it made me feel like I was going to get focused attention when my turn came around.

Thank you!!

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Very sweet and very entertaining! Perfect service and won’t let us go until everything was 100% perfect. Even fixed my purse for free.

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Absolutely fantastic experience at Miss Forget Me Not! Went for 1 suit came out with 3 suits, 6 shirts and a new custom made suit jacket! Brilliant quality and worth every penny. The staff are incredibly passionate about what they do and will work tirelessly to ensure your suit is absolutely perfect. The whole experience was great fun too!

These new suits are the only thing making me look forward to going back to work in London!

Thank you!

See more reviews
Reviewed 26 March 2018

If you read Miss Forget Me Not’s one-star Tripadvisor reviews, you will notice that not a single one was written by someone who actually had her make any clothes for him. They aren’t, therefore, actually judging the quality of her tailoring simply because they can’t! If you then turn to her positive reviews, which are the overwhelming majority, you will notice that they are all written by people who got to the stage of having some clothes made, and they are invariably satisfied. Consider this fact when you are reading other reviews and deciding over a tailor to approach.

My partner and I chose Miss Forget Me Not after reading a large number of reviews and blog posts about Hoi An tailoring. Firstly, if you haven’t yet arrived in Hoi An or explored the old town, it’s worth mentioning that what is described at length in many other reviews is absolutely true. Hoi An is a hugely oversatured market and competition is fierce. As you walk the streets, salespeople will rush out of their shops and shout over to you, chase after you with business cards, and if you so much as look at one of the mannequins they will insist that whatever happens to be on it would look just wonderful on you. Miss Forget Me Not does not do these things. We entered a few tailors’ premises before arriving at Miss Forget Me Not and the differences were vast. If you want to be rushed over to a chair and presented with chilled water, chopped fruit and a slick sales pitch on arrival, go elsewhere. If you want a huge, marble-white shop with fancy lighting and neat rows of polished mannequins lining every wall, go elsewhere. If you want flattery and American-style customer service rather than down-to-Earth honesty, go elsewhere. There are many other tailors which will provide those things. I cannot comment on the quality of other tailors’ clothing compared to Miss Forget Me Not’s because she was pretty much the only tailor we used (although we did obtain refunds for two square silk scarves in the cloth market because the stitching was atrocious, something which the shop owner shamefully tried to cover up). Ultimately, you should ask yourself whether a tailor who trades on their reputation and is confident in the quality of their products needs to engage in the kind of window-dressing no European tailor would be caught dead doing. Miss Forget Me Not certainly does not.

It was very obvious from our experiences in other shops that many Hoi An tailors love clients who walk in with no idea what they are looking for, because it is an opportunity to manipulate them into paying for things they don’t really want in larger quantities than they intended. Miss Forget Me Not, in contrast, does not have much time for people who can’t paint a reasonably clear picture of what they’d like made when they first arrive. This is perhaps part of the reason for the consultation fee. She is not interested in manipulating you but rather in making clothes for you, so she wants you to tell her what you want and not the other way around.

Considering the unspeakably cheap prices we paid, our experiences with Miss Forget Me Not were nothing short of outstanding. I am confident that you can pay a lot more for a lot less in Hoi An if you are careless. We asked her to make two knee-length day dresses and a short-sleeved shirt – fairly standard pieces which she is probably very used to making. Expect to spend between one and two hours in the shop on your first visit, depending on how many different designs and fabrics you discuss. She asked us to keep in touch via Whatsapp so later visits could be arranged easily. Before going ahead, she drew sketches of the dresses and some of the features in detail to make sure we were on the same page, and gave us some suggestions as to particular features and fabrics which would suit. She did not hesitate to tell us if one particular idea of ours would clash with another, or if a certain fabric was simply not suitable for the garment we had in mind.

Some other reviewers have mentioned that her fabric selection is smaller than that of other tailors. This is undoubtedly true (although the selection she does have is much more tasteful than others we encountered); however if you are dead set on a very particular colour or pattern, it need not be an obstacle. I wanted my shirt made in an extremely specific shade for personal reasons: something slightly darker or lighter, or different in hue, wasn’t going to do the trick. Miss Forget Me Not did not have the shade I was looking for on her shelves, but she did have it on a patch sheet. Pleased that I had found it, I expected that they would send off for the necessary quantity with no further input needed. Instead, she invited me to hop on the back of a scooter and her sister drove me across town to the fabric warehouse! There, she picked through reems of the cotton I had chosen and pointed out tiny blemishes in the fabric – faults which would not be noticeable except with your eye right up against the cloth – and make sure I was happy with each of them before she bought it. I much prefer that kind of customer service to a plate of fruit and empty compliments about my figure! Miss Forget Me Not also told us the precise quantities we would need to buy if we saw a fabric elsewhere and wanted to bring it to her to have something else made. As it happened, my partner found a patterned cotton she loved in the fabric market, so we purchased the right amount, brought it to Miss Forget Me Not as per her instructions and commissioned a third dress at a discounted price. The sisters also saved the two silk scarves for us at very short notice, complete with a much nicer stitching style than the simple fold that the shop in the cloth market had attempted!

Perhaps a greater measure of her skill was the second garment I requested: A silk, satin and velvet jacketed dressing gown with piping, copied from a design by an extremely expensive British outfitters. Not only was the design unusual, I also asked for it to be made to my father’s measurements which I had brought with me, rather than to my own. Miss Forget Me Not did not shy away from the challenge. Not content to trust that my mother had taken my father’s measurements accurately, she also asked me to describe his figure in detail and compare it to my own (resulting in a good few jokes), which she measured extensively. One detail I asked to be copied was hand-quilting on the velvet. She responded firmly that this would not be possible, as it was very difficult to do and would take longer than we had planned to stay in Hoi An. I accepted this, somewhat disappointed but appreciative of her honesty, only to find out later when it came to the fitting that she had worked overtime and had managed to do it anyway! The end result was a marvellous copy of the original design for a minute fraction of the price.

To make things even more difficult for her, on the second fitting of one of the dresses my partner decided that the neckline she had chosen was making the dress too top-heavy and asked to alter it (the dress itself had been made exactly to our original specifications – our ideas had simply changed). The sisters quickly explained what would and would not be possible without remaking the dress completely; converting it to a v-neck was out of the question, but a lower scoop could be achieved. At this stage, it was late in the evening and we had just lumped some extra unexpected work onto the pair without warning. After chalking the dress, Miss Forget Me Not told us curtly to leave and come back tomorrow as she had another customer who was leaving Hoi An that night whose suit needed to be prioritised. I can see that other people might have interpreted this as inattention, bad customer service or even rudeness. We saw it as what it was: two very overworked sisters trying to comply with difficult time restrictions placed on them by the schedules of their clients. They seem to genuinely care about the quality of the garments which leave their shop, and sometimes this means giving a back seat to extended pleasantries and pampering.

I think we were far from Miss Forget Me Not’s easiest customers, but from start to finish she was a pleasure to work with and did not settle for less than our complete satisfaction. My partner has a slim waist and a large bust, meaning the dresses had to be cut to an unusual pattern and it was no easy task to get everything to sit just right. The sisters pulled it off, however, and the final products were impeccable. At the final fitting, they even kept their shop open late for us and completed the final few adjustments in front of us, which gave us a chance to see the care and attention they put into their work as they were doing it. As with any process of this kind, you get out what you put in – and paying for the clothes is only a small part of your contribution. The better you can communicate, and the more precise you can be, the happier you will end up being. In particular, the longer you can give Miss Forget Me Not, the better. At each fitting, the sisters buzzed around us, making chalk marks on the dresses and noting down little elements of the fit which could be improved. You can turn up with less than twenty-four hours to give her and take away your clothes at the first fitting – but remember that not even the most prestigious Saville Row tailors expect to achieve perfection the first time around. Miss Forget Me Not’s reputation is well-deserved, and we would urge you to give her a try.

1  Thank Michaelmw578