“A true Innovative tailoring experience”

Kimmy Custom Tailor
Ranked #37 of 452 Shopping in Hoi An
More attraction details
Owner description: Kimmy Tailor owned and run by a Vietnamese-Canadian, Kimmy Custom Tailor has been the only Western-operated tailor serving international clients for over 15 years in Hoi An. Kimmy prides itself on understanding Western styles and sensibilities, and has its own tailors and factory so it doesn't outsource the work. As a result, Kimmy keeps full control over quality at very reasonable prices and excellent customer service with over 5000 sample fabrics to choose from. Measurements are kept on file so you can re-order online later.
Reviewed 9 January 2013 via mobile

My partner and I came to Hoi An, as most of us do, looking for a relaxing experience and quality tailoring at an affordable price. After shopping around for a number of days and being bombarded with broken english and aggressive sales people we finally found our nirvana. Walking into Kimmys was a breath of fresh air on the multitude of bogus tailors, we were greeted with smiles and calmness, our sales assistant Dough was awesome in every way and helped us both through the abundance of choice until my partner and I settled on a three price suit and two dresses.

Then fittings were enjoyable and made going back to the store something to look forward to,
With a fast turn around and genuine quality we are both very much happy campers.
If your serious about having cloths made without the BS give them a try you're be hard pressed to find fault.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,415)
All reviews
in 55 reviews
"finished product"
in 55 reviews

Reviewed 8 January 2013

What can I say about Kimmys? First of all, the staff are amazing and have great banter. From the moment we walked into the shop until the moment we walked out we had many laughs and enjoyed every experience of my first tailored suit.
Advice - Dont buy any of the cheap material otherwsie you probably wont be too happy as the feel isnt too nice. I paid in total £180 (Sterling) for the best material, a whole suit and postage back home. BARGAIN! You can also ask for your initials to be stitched into the inner pocket. And dont forget to ask for a freebie like a tie! I got two for recommending two of my friends!

I walked up and down the Hoi An suit 'strip' and found kimmys to be the mos helpful and knowledgable and its understandale why its the most successful shop in that area. A couple of fellow travellers went elsewhere and were not happy with their purchases.
You also get upto three fittings to correct any problems with your purchase!

I arrived home three weeks ago and my suit was at my house ready for me to try on and its absolutely perfect. The post was safe and secure and im even happier than when I first bought it.

I have two photos in Hoi An and one back home in my kitchen to show that theres no problems with the suit what so ever :)

HIGHLY RECOMMEND KIMMYS! :D

Reviewed 8 January 2013

I've tried a couple of taylors on trips over the years and this one is by far the best I've come accross. To keep it simple they have quick and very competent service (if I were you I would ask for CHAN and THU ... very nice customer reps). The final products were really nice, I ordered shirts (quite ok but pick the best quality fabric), a suit (fantastic) and a coat (also fantastic). the price was very fair as well ... so keep up the good work - I'll defintely try the online order from them ...

Reviewed 8 January 2013

Kimmy tailors, is an excellent tailor ,I got two suits and 5 shirts , for a decent price .Remember to ask for Tu , lovely lady who takes all the time in the world to make sure u are happy with your purchase ,one on one attention and most importantly is happy with her job compared to others we noticed

Ask for 'Tu' !!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Based on the Tripadvisor reviews below and a recommendation from hour hotel concierge, my son and I went to Kimmy on January 4th to purchase new suits, a blazer and some shirts. Whiles some of the favorable things mentioned in reviews below were true, our overall experience was pretty negative and I feel compelled to write some advice/warnings for future Kimmy customers, particularly fellow Americans. I worked with Hanh and my son worked with Ninny (sp?). When we arrived Hanh quickly led me to a web site with different suits, each with a number next to it. Before I could really look, though, Hanh declared me to be a "57." I looked at suit 57 (which, like most of the other pictures, was merely a grainy picture of a suit from mid-torso up) and disliked it. She then told me to go to #52; then to #7, then to #31. Given the slow modem and the rapid fire suggestions of Hanh, I finally asked that she simply give me some time. She did, but seemed reluctant to loose her grip on me and was quickly back giving me different numbers. I ultimately told her that #7 was in the ball park, but that there was so little of the actual suit in the picture, and so much that I wanted customized, that at best it was a start. Hanh quickly went into sales mode, saying that I should get three suits, all with extra pants, a blazer and multiple shirts. I explained to her that I was pretty demanding about my suits, and actually wore a nice pair of Hickey Freeman pants and a Robert Talbott shirt to show her the level of quality I was looking for. She assured me that she was giving me their absolute top quality fabrics. We then discussed the specifics of the suit that I wanted to buy (i.e., size of lapels, cut of shoulders, venting, pleats or not, etc.) and Hanh's replies were in each case were to nod a lot and state that she "would make me look good," that I would "have a lot of girlfriends in this suit" and would be "the most important man" in the suit. So, I went over everything with her again, and she swore she understood. Most importantly, based on some Tripadvisor comments below, I specified that I wanted a fuller-bodied cut more common to America, and not a tight cut favored by Asians. We then chose fabric from her "top fabric" book (which only had about 6-8 choices) and she took my measurements. Somewhat to my surprise, they then asked for the entire payment up front. (Its my understanding that typically you just deposit 10% of the final payment.) When I came back the next day for the initial fitting and saw the suit for the first time, my heart sank. Not only was the fit so tight that I could not sit down in the pants, but the quality of the material was very poor. I voiced my concerns to Hanh and she was dismissive, telling me "Wow, you look great. You are going to have a lot of girlfriends with this suit." I had to repeatedly to loosen the suit before she finally agreed, giving me a playful (?) spanking at the end of the process. I also told her that I had serious reservations about the quality of the fabric. She was dismissive, telling me that the suit would look far better with subsequent fittings. Unfortunately, it didn't. Two more times, I had to tell her that the suit needed to be loosened and asked for numerous other, more minor changes to the suits; I had to ask her three times to put pockets on the solid colored shirts and had to point out that the blazer was so tight it couldn't even button it. (I'm a very lanky 6'3", and buttoning up clothes shouldn't be a problem for me.) Ultimately, they merely made more room in the seat of the pants, and made some (but not all) of the changes. By the time of my third and fourth "fittings" (which were really just about cleaning the suits and opening up the button holes) I had to catch a plane and it was clear that I had run out of time to have any more meaningful changes made to the clothes. At the end of the fourth fitting, Hanh asked me "You happy?" I dodged the question, but my body english clearly gave me away and ultimately I told her that I wasn't, and she quickly ran to another part of the store. I assumed she was getting a manager and waited a couple of minutes for her to come back. But she wasn't. When I went to leave, she was showing the web site to a group of young Australian customers, telling them "You have lots of girlfriends in these suits!" The ultimately indignity was being chased down by the staff as I left the store, telling me that I still had to pay for the suits. When I showed them my paid-in-full receipt, they seemed confused by it, further confirming my suspicion that I was only supposed to pay at the end.. So, here's some suggestions and warnings for those seeking to patronize Kimmy:

1.KNOW WHAT YOU WANT. Do not go into this store unless you know exactly what you want and have a picture of it. Although I thought I gave Hanh a great deal of detail for my suit, I was never more than a #7, and they seemed to struggle with anything else.

2. RECOGNIZE THE LIMITATIONS ON QUALITY AND SELECTION. Like most Americans, I think of a hand-tailored suit as the purview of a very high quality tailor who uses very high quality materials. That's not necessarily the case here. While I didn't expect a Hickey-Freeman quality suit, I was hoping for something like I would purchase at a Nordstrom's or one of the best suits from a Macy's. That's not what you are going to get. You are going to get something of a quality similar to a low-level Macy's or a JC Penney suit. So, when you see the roughly $300 purchase price and think that you are going to get an unbelievable deal, recognize that you are actually getting a suit much like one you can pay $500 (or $400 in a good sale) for in the states and ask yourself if its really worth it for you. Also, please keep in mind that Kimmy's selection is pretty limited and is dominated by cotton/silk cloth that is not an appropriate weight for the climate of much of America, nor is it consistent with the styles favored by a lot of Americans.

3. RECOGNIZE THE DIFFERENCES IN STYLES AND QUALITY FROM AMERICAN SUITS. Although Kimmy has a number of pictures of Ralph Lauren and other American suits, they seemed to either not understand or be dismissive of what Americans want in a suit. My final product has pipe-thin legs and is extraordinarily narrow, even though I specified repeatedly that this was not what I wanted. Its also an inappropriate suit for a middle-aged man. However, they were very tone deaf to what Americans want. Although I wore some nice American clothes to show them the level of quality I wanted, they never really got it. The final suit is extremely flimsy in the waist, pockets and fly, the lines are sometimes uneven and the lapels and pocket flaps are bulky.

4.DON'T PAY THE ENTIRE AMOUNT UP FRONT. You are going to need some bargaining leverage for later.

5. ADVOCATE FOR YOURSELF. You are going to need to be demanding to get what you want out of the process.

Ultimately, this was a very disappointing process, and, frankly, I'm still mad about it. I can't wear these suits in front of clients and I'm not sure if they are ever going to make it out of my closet to be worn in public. In trying to save a few hundred bucks I instead threw away a few more that would have been much better spent on some of the many wonderful other things available in Vietnam.

4  Thank Doug V