All reviews buffalo run robin hood western staff common areas amazing tour guide downtown hostel drinks deals i stayed in a private room pool party sister hostel immaculate facilities bicycle tour free breakfast great place to meet people hai van pass old town dorm room
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Keeping in mind that in Vietnam is common practice to have paid people dedicated to writing positive reviews in Tripadvisor and also eliminate the negative, I stopped by this hostel and spent one night.
Definitely, this is a place to party and it is set up that way. Cheap alcohol, loud music and people trashed in common areas the morning after. It’s a clean place thou and toilets have a current filled log book. If you are Australian, this place is pretty much like going to one of those hotels in Gold Coast for the schoolies break.
It’s about 15 minutes away walking from the old town of Hoi An. If you visit Hoi An for the culture of it, you are better off staying at one of the many good hostels in town (read my review on Leo Leo Homestay).
Unlike any other hostel in town, at Vietnam Backpackers you’ll be asked for a deposit for both the room key and a towel. Make sure you ask for you receipt.
You will be asked to leave your passport. Remember that your passport is your most valuable belonging while traveling and a very rewarded prize for organised crime that may steal your identity. Keep your passport, always. Offer them to scan it if they like, but do not leave it with anyone.
The holstel has also some backpackers working there and will advice you on any activities you may want to try while in Hoi An.
If it’s party what you look for, this is your place. Otherwise, move on.

Room tip: I was in the highest building and the loud music could still be heard.
Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Alaysia M, General Manager at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - Hoi An, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Thank you for taking time away from your travels to leave us a review as we really value guest feedback. It's great to hear that you appreciated the hostel's cleanliness and the helpful service at our travel desk. Because we understand meeting interesting travelers from all over the world can be half the fun of traveling, we do host nightly events in the hostel to create an environment where it's easy for guests to strike up a conversation. That said we also have a number of chill common areas like the movie room & library for guests who may be looking to relax instead.

Also I can assure you that it is very common practice in not only Hoi An, but also in hostels around the world, to take deposits for items like keys & towels. We hope you can understand that the reason for this is that both keys and towels cost money to purchase so the deposit is there to cover this expense if the items are lost.. which can be quite often in the backpacking world.

Finally local law does require that all accommodation businesses (hotels, hostels, guesthouses etc.) keep guests passports throughout the duration of their stay. That said because we understand how valuable these documents are to guests, we keep them locked away until guests check out.

From the team at VBH, we hope you've been enjoying the rest of your travels.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Best hostel I have stayed at during my travels. Brand new, spacious rooms with huge lockers and no bunks, delicious free buffet breakfast, loads of activities, swimming pool, free shuttle to the beach etc. The staff are awesome and made it incredibly hard to leave! They went above and beyond to make sure my stay was what it was. Dan, Esmee, Joe, Cat, Jordy, T and all the Vietnamese staff thanks for all your help and for making our stay so amazing! Can’t wait to return!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Alaysia M, General Manager at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - Hoi An, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for the incredibly positive feedback! We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the help of our talented team. From the crew at VBH Hoi An we hope that you're still traveling and that we see you again real soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

It was a bit like being in Geordie Shore to be honest... I really don’t travel to get pissed and stay out late so I definitely picked the wrong place. In saying that, it was really new and clean and well looked after and the sound didn’t travel so the rooms were quiet (unless you had loud roomies). Also I loved that it wasn’t bunks!

The expat staff were very cool, super friendly and helpful. Wouldn’t eat the food unless you had to (like I did, I was starving). It wasn’t terrible it just wasn’t worth taking up Nelly space when there’s so much amazing food in town.

Oh and the bikes are HORRIFIC, so Uncomfortable. I love cycling but after one day of it I preferred to walk.

Hi Joey,

Thank you for taking time away from your travels to provide us with some feedback. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the hostel not being your scene. Also that you appreciated the sound proof walls and the help of our friendly staff. As for the bicycles i'll be sure to pass on your comments to the maintenance team who take care of their regular upkeep so that none slip through the cracks in the future. Hope you're still traveling.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Apart from being a new hostel, with immaculate facilities and a gorgeous pool, the staff are what made this place feel like home for me.
Dan, the welsh rep, was so friendly, offering suggestions and advice for anything I needed, he even brought me meds from the pharmacy when I was feeling ill.
They recommended a great tailor nearby that did an amazing job for a great price, the bicycle tour was really good as well.

Can’t say enough good things about this hostel, and the amazing staff that work here. Miss this place already.

Hi Jeanie,

Thank you for the incredibly positive feedback! We're thrilled to hear that you appreciated our helpful staff and felt at home here by the end of your stay. Will be sure to pass on your kind comments to Dan as well as I know he'll appreciate them. Hope you're still traveling and that we see you again some day.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Slightly out of town, but well worth the extra 5-10 mins to get to ancient town. Half way between here and the beach you are never left short of things to do at this hostel. Amazing rooms and bathroom facilities, a pool and awesome staff.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi Emma,

Thank you for your recent review as we really appreciate the feedback. It's awesome to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you took advantage of all the activities and facilities. From the entire team we hope to see you again some day.

Safe travels,