“Great location, ok value, poor service”
Review of An Hoi Hotel

An Hoi Hotel
Ranked #124 of 159 Hotels in Hoi An
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I don't recommend this hotel, not because of poor cleanliness or safety, but because of the complete lack of hospitality and service.

Part of it may be due to the fact that their English is less than fluent, but part of it is that they seem to see patrons useful only as cash cows. My philosophy, if you are going to spend more than budget prices (at least $20 per person/room) then the service ought to be commensurate with what is being paid. To be fair the hotel is the cheapest within a terrific location near old town Hoi An, has a pool, and the rooms are nice, but the nice environs don't excuse the extremely poor service.

First, when I arrived the gentleman who showed me to my room immediately started trying to sell me tours and bus tickets before he even gave me my room key. I was thereafter aggressively harassed by the guys manning the desk about taking tours, buying bus tickets, renting bikes, etc. even when I made it clear I wasn't interested in motorbikes or tours. (This was the guys only. The women manning the desk ignored me.) I expect this kind of behavior in a budget place, I do not expect it at a midrange place.

Second, I had someone try to walk into my room without announcement or knocking while I was sans clothing with the door locked and bolted and a 'do not disturb' sign on on door handle. The worst part was that it took them several seconds longer to shut the door than it should.

Third, I asked specifically for train tickets to Hue and was told yes the hotel sells them. When I inquire about the price, I am told I should take a bus or a motorbike taxi tour instead, and when I insist on taking the train, they tell me they don't sell train tickets.

Lastly, I got them to book my transport to the Danang train station and they booked me on a bus to the Danang *bus* station instead...for the same price as it would have been to take the bus all the way to Hue.

I just in good consciousness can't recommend this hotel at this time.

• Stayed: May 2012
There are newer reviews for An Hoi Hotel

Reviewed 10 May 2012

Booked in as a single person and got a double room with a lovely terrace all to myself; RESULT! Clean spacious room, bathroom fine, comfy bed, air con, had no complaints except they shut the front door pretty early at night, before 11pm. Breakfast was slow but OK. There were some ants on my table one morning but hey it's Asia, its not a massive deal. Location fabulous, just a stone's throw from the bridge. There's a pool here too but never used it. Internet connection very haphazard. Staff extremely cheerful, invited me to eat some watermelon with them whilst waiting for their computers in Reception to load up.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We stayed there with friends in March 2012. The location is great just a stone throw away from the old town, close to bars, restaurants, night markets. Rent a scooter and in 15 min you are on the beach! The pool looks good too, clean. Price OK. Rooms very specious.
What makes this place lack the excellence some small things but put all together can be a pain, an area for improvement:
- towels old and very worn down
- A/C turned off while we were out, so imagine coming back to a hot room after the beach
- very very slow net connection or no net at all, hard to plan your trip forward, I recommend to do it before getting to Hoi An as apparently that is how the internet works in the town.... really?
- breakfast, small portions and quiet boring so had to eat a second one outside
- during our stay next to the hotel was a construction site, so not to quiet

Overall the town of Hoi An is PERFECT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO taking all the downers I still recommend the place for its location.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Great Location, a 2 minute wander from The old town Area this hotel is situated across the bridge On The An Hoi Island. Rooms are clean with TV, Air Con and your standard bathroom/shower in one. Personal are friendly and willing to help and give directions, especially it would seem to Friends and acquantiances Shops. A Big Highlight for us after a day of sweating and fending off the hard sell at what would seem every Shop, was being able to lounge around and cool off in the Hotel Pool with a Drink before heading out for Dinner. Breakfast was your standard included in the price affair. The bikes on hire were in need of repair, but for 1 US Dollar a day one should not complain.
On the whole for the price a more than satisfactory place to stay and one I'd recommend even to my friends as an alternative to paying to much for the same amenities.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We were recommended this hotel by a friend and it definitely lived up to expectations. The location is perfect, a 2minute walk to the main town or a 30second bike ride (you can hire bikes from the hotel very cheaply). The staff are very friendly and willing to help out with anything. It's a really relaxed place and we stayed for 4nights which we extended from 2 with no problem whatsoever. This is a great spot if you want a couple of days relaxation away from the hustle and bustle of Vietnam's big cities and the beach is only a 15 minute bike ride away which is also a bonus.

• Stayed: March 2012