1,455 results
All reviewshalf boardtunisian hotelsbeach barprivate beachpizzabuffet restaurantwaiter servicetunisian dishesevery mealkids clubwaiterssunbedsentertainmentholidaytipseaweedcases
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My husband and I stayed in this hotel June 2011 for 1 week. We had a great time with just a few gripes - which is more down to Thomsons now needing to re-think the All Inclusive deals they offer here than the hotel itself.

This was our first visit to Tunisia, and apart from a well deserved holiday we were meeting up with family living over there at the time in Monastir. The Hotel certainly has the "wow" factor, with a huge & nicely decorated reception area with wonderful views of the pool / sea & various rooms & bars leading off. We were welcomed with a mint tea - and soon shown to our room which was on the 2nd floor with a balcony overlooking the pool. The bed was enormous & very comfortable - infact I don't think I have ever slept so well!

The breakfast was served in the dining room which leads onto a small patio area beyond the pool where we sat outside each morning. There is a good choice of breakfast options, (excellent coffee) and friendly helpful staff behind the warm food counters. It didn't take us long to realise that the hotel was practically 'empty' of guests which is such a shame - although good for us as most days we had the lovely pool to ourselves which was great! - no having to fight for sunloungers etc... and each morning the loungers, cushions & 2 towels per lounger were set out for guests to arrive. A small path from the pool area leads directly onto the beach, which was also fairly 'empty' of holidaymakers but a good beach bar & restaurant with attentive staff & good food. One female member of staff was particularly helpful & very professional - nothing was too much trouble & she was very nice & friendly. We ate here almost every lunchtime trying a different wine whilst watching passing camels & taking in the sun.

My husband, daughter & her boyfriend hired Jet Ski's which is very close to the bar too.

The grounds to the hotel are immaculate, - the building itself was spotless, and all public areas inside & out were very well kept. We were very lucky that the hotel agreed for our daughter & her boyfriend to visit us each day & use the pool, - they also ate with us in the evening at the restaurant - which was paid for separately as we had booked an all inclusive deal through Thompsons. - something we regretted throughout the holiday. (I even started to wear my watch on my other wrist to hide the AI band as I was so embarrassed by it - as staff were resonding to requests by saying "you can't have that you're all inclusive!)

During the week, as we became more familiar with our surroundings we realised that we appeared to be the only english guests, with just a handful of mainly french & german guests who we saw at breakfast or dinner. We had been "cuffed" with our AI wristbands on arrival and as the week progressed began to feel very "branded" and embarrassed by them in so far as our lunchtime menu was an A4 laminated sheet of options, and everyone else seemed to be reading through an extensive menu. - this was our first experience of an all inclusive holiday, - so it may be OK for some, - but I am afraid not for us! The beer offered for AI was fine, - but to get a decent wine we chose & paid from the main menu (which everyone else was doing) which kind off defeats the object?? The hotel staff seemed suprised we were doing this, - and this is no complaint of the hotel as it was fantastic, - I am hoping Thomson will pick up on this, as we suggest they refer to it more as "half inclusive" !

We were told by the Thomson Rep the morning after we arrived that included in the all inclusive deal was 1 night at the A La Carte Restaurant. Whe decided to do this on my husband's birthday - but on arrival were told this was not possible as we hadn't booked. - fair enough maybe - but the restaurant was absolutely empty !- The menu diisplayed outside looked delicious, and we asked if there was a restricted menu for All inclusive - we were told "no" , however were later told we couldn't eat that evening as the new All Inclusive menu hadn''t been printed off yet! - we ended up eating in the main restaurant that evening to save any hassle, which was fine as the food in there was always good.

We did get to eat in the A La Carte Restaurant the following evening, - they had decorated the table with rose petals & candles which was lovely, - the food was OK, but next time would probably eat in the other restaurant each night for value and more of a buzz.

We had a fantastic time, - and would definately return to this hotel if going to Tunisia -the facilities, staff & adjoining Spa were amazing. We have no complaint of the hotel whatsoever, - but as the Thomson Rep suggested on the transfer from Hotel to airport, this is our review, - let's hope someone from Thomson's re-thinks the all inclusive deal as it's just not nice!

To summarise, - Wonderful Hotel, lovely staff, - even down to the guy on the gate! - FAB pool, amazing spa, lovely beach and good food - great bed providing a good nights sleep!

..... just don't go All Inclusive !

Room Tip: Don't go all inclusive ! (suprise suprise)
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Dovaroma
Reviewed 28 May 2011

if you want want what the rich an famous get at affordable prices this hotel is a must.me and my partner have just returned from a second visit to this outstanding hotel, from cleaning staff right up to the general manager the service can only be described as sublime courteous, polite,prompt, professional in fact on every level wonderful service with a smile. the location of the hotel is as described beachfront on the med although it is true that it is located near an airport the noise is barely noticeable my partner didnt even notice it until i pointed to a plane in the sky it is not a busy airport.
Food where do you begin there is more than enough choice to suit every palate, after eating breakfast then taking a walk along the med your were looking ford ward to lunch then again dinner not because you were hungry we were looking forward to seeing what the cheifs had created it is true in this case that you eat with you eyes, wish i was there now my tea is looking less and less appealing i need a glass of wine speaking of wine we were all inclusive and our glasses were never empty once we had been there for a few days the waiters knew where we liked to sit and what we liked to drink for me it was heaven a lovely bottle of rose chilling in an ice bucket. after dinner we went to the bar again the waiters are so good your drinks were on your table just as soon as you sat down the entertainment was enjoyable but unobtrusive still able to have a conversation the bar closed at twelve but a litttle wink to the barman resulted in a tray of drinks for you to take to your room to enjoy on your veranda. the hotel can now boast of a fantastic spa i had only seen the likes of it in pictuers before its stunning , the beach front is also beautiful as is the swimming pool and indoor swimming pool, to be honest you must see it to appreciate it. no matter how helpful and worderful staff are and how beautuful a hotel may look it is nothing if it is dirthy this hotel certainly has nothing to worry about in fact you could eat of the floors the cleaners have a great sense of humour creating pieces of artwork out of towels turning them into swans and all sorts realy makes you smile they dont just go into your room and get out as fast as they can the care is there. i have been on quiet a few inclusive holidays and the part i always hate is the checking out times,, your pick up time may not be later in the evening but you have to check out at tweleve or pay extra not in this case we went down to the receptionist explained our situation they asked what time we would like to vacate our room fortunately for us at this time the general manager was around has he usually is and he said its still your holiday everything is available to you till you leave and in fact he was there to shake our hands as he did with those who left when he was available. on a final note some reviews have suggested that there is not enough to do this coudnt be further from the truth we as a couple wanted to laze walk along the beach enjoy great food and drink but there is so much more available well done to royal thalasso after spending a week there we are now booking for two weeks again next may .

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank johnsteven11
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Although the Hotel was good and the staff were very polite and helpful,and the rooms were spotlessly clean, the location and lack of amenities let this hotel down. My Daughter In Law and I decided to go on the Sahara Trip which lasted for 2 days, just for something to do. The Bar stopped serving drinks promptly at 10.55 pm and there was nothing to do, could not even get a coffee etc. there is absolutely nothing to do at night. 2 nights out of the 7 we had a Tunisian Night which lasted and Hour watching 2 Belly Dancers, and the other night was a musician which we had a bit of a dance too. The animation team consisted of 1 guy, although he put his heart & soul into it, there is only so much he can do, they rely heavily on the waiters and pool guy to entertain the guests. The hotel offers all the usual stuff but at a cost. We were told during our stay that they were not happy with "All Inclusive" guests and were trying to go back to the way it was, lots of Business People, I'll leave you to do the maths !!!. Although I must say the Sahara trip, albeit too many coach miles, was a sight not to be missed, very full itinery and enjoyed it thoroughly and the highlight watching the sunset on the Sahara was something I will always remember.

Room Tip: Beautiful Hotel, but nothing to do at night.
  • Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank DotSeaton
PatrickThalassa, Food and Beverage Director at Royal Thalassa Monastir, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2011

Dear Madam,
When I read your comment, I asked myself many questions.
After I saw the date of stay, and I understood ...
Since then, the management team has changed.
We welcome all the customers happy.
The bar serve you until midnight.
The animation is adequate, very present but unobtrusive
The hotel has kept its beauty, nice room, service quality, cleanliness, good food ...
We've added a magnificent Thalasso Centre, a renowned hairdresser and a gymnasium in an innovative concept.
Customers who recently wrote on Tripadvisor confirm the proper management of the hotel.
We would be very happy to welcome you back to our hotel.
Best regards,

Patrick Delaide

Reviewed 15 April 2011

Recently returned from a fantastic week at the Royal Thalassa. The hotel is literally over the road from Monastir Airport, however I believe this airport will soon be out of use and a new airport a few miles away will be used. Although the hotel was so close to the airport you hardly ever heard any aircraft and when you did it was still very quiet.
The hotel is very spacious, luxurious and well furnished. There are plenty of sitting areas or areas to lounge in and out of the hotel. The hotel was very quiet when we were there and there was a good mix of people form various European countries.
All of the staff from the bellboy, receptionists, pool attendants, chambermaids, waiters, head waiters, barmen, chefs are extremely polite and friendly. They staff just couldn't do enough for you and ensured you enjoyed your holiday.
We have stayed in a few 4 and 5 star hotels in the med and must say the food in this hotel was delicious and possibly the best ever. There was a great range to chose from and the restaurant was that good we never tried the a la cart restaurant.
The rooms very very nice, spacious and I think every room will have a sea view and most a view of the pool too. The pools are lovely and clean too and the sunbeds are of top quality with nice mattresses and two small towels provided every day by the attendant.
The hotel is right on the beach, but unfortunately we were there a bit too soon as the seaweed still hadn't been removed. I understand they clear away all of the seaweed in time for the summer holidays.
There is nothing really outside the hotel. You can get the train to Monastir or Sousse which takes up to half an hour and the train station is about 400 yards from the hotel just outside the airport. Taxi's are reasonable too.
We just went to chill in the winter sunshine and enjoy nice food and drink in a luxurious hotel and must say every box was ticked. The hotel is attached to a top wellness centre although we decided not to use any of the facilities the people we met said it was very good and spacious too.
I would certainly recommend this hotel to people who want a relaxing holiday. Those who just enjoy reading a book throughout the day, lying in tranquil surroundings by the pool, eating a great selection of well presented very tasty food and then a few drinks and conversation with fellow holidaymakers.
We hope to return very soon.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Justlovethesun
Reviewed 6 April 2011

this is our second holiday in this stunning hotel, everything about in shouts "Quality" all the staff from the Management team to the pool attendants is first class.
it is a totally relaxing service with a smile and a great big WELCOME!!
fantastic thank you to all the staff for another fantastic holiday!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple